Utah antelope???? NR

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-11 AT 08:49PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-11-11 AT 08:48?PM (MST)

My wife is 1 point in front of the masses for antelope. So which unit should I have her apply in?? I'm looking for a unit with good numbers of animals and lots of public. (not asking much)

Thanks in advance

PS: Had to edit, didn't want to look ignorant. Better to keep you guessing.

PSS: Still had a typo. :-(

Anyone of them have 'good' numbers of animals. Plateau is down in numbers but still 'good'. Cache Rich has the most amount of private but most of the landowners up there will allow you to hunt their ground. With one point, pick the best and hope you get lucky. One of the West Desert units IMO

5044 San Rafael, Desert Sep. 17?Sep. 25
5048 Southwest Desert Sep. 17?Sep. 25
5049 West Desert, Riverbed Sep. 17?Sep. 25
5050 West Desert, Rush Valley Sep. 17?Sep. 25
5051 West Desert, Snake Valley Sep. 17?Sep. 25

Todd Black
BTO

Hunter,
I would trust what Todd told you. Those are the numbers. Let me know what you decide. I know the San Rafael really well.

It's always an adventure!!!

Thanks for the replies.......and PMs. I guess my first post was confusing. She has 3 PPs, one more than those that applied since the rules changed and you could apply for everything.

Checked draw odds and she's a few of years away from a Bonus point tag, but you never know.

Jim, with 4 PPs she's a lifetime away from that moose tag. I told her last night that we'll be too old when she finally draws it. But still apply and hope the .4% draw odds come through.

Depending on the unit and if you want information about the Snake Valley Unit feel free to contact me. My job allows me to spend lots of time there and I know just about every water hole and have seen some very nice bucks on hte unit. Good luck.

I checked the "Draw Odds" on Monster Muley and didn't see a Snake Valley listed. Could it be called something else??

Wildhorseguy, huh? I happen to own a mustang. 19 years old. Very solid horse but stubborn. I don't know if he'd packed before I got him but the first time I introduced him to a dead elk, he licked it. Laughed my ass off since i thought he might freak. Packing fool and not a bad riding horse when he's following another horse. Alone he's a handful.

BlandingBoy said:

"Cache Rich has the most amount of private but most of the landowners up there will allow you to hunt their ground"

I wouldn't let this worry you too much. There are still miles and miles of good public land to hunt. And, there are antelope everywhere. However, if you are set on an 80" buck, I would look elsewhere.

Let me know when yuou are ready for another one. Mabey we can find you one that is not so stubborn.

Look for West Desert, Snake Valley. It is listed in the DWR Guidebook.

We did good on the bookcliffs bittercreek in 09. Bonanza is better for bigger bucks though. Nine mile is good for antelope also. Up around Manilla is good, Wyoming border but i'm not exactly sure what the unit name is. I can help you with those units if you draw one. Let me know if ya draw!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

We turned in a Plateau tag last year after several scouting trips. It has always been the go to unit for seeing a bunch of Antelope with a chance to see a decent one. I can assure you that it is no more. At least for the near future.

Southwest Desert holds a ton of Antelope. You will have to work hard to break 80 inches but it can be done. 70-75 can be done pretty easily. Plus it would be one of the closest units to you coming from California. You can start hunting as soon as you hit the stateline.

I put her in for the Southwest Desert. thanks for all of your input.

WHG, I may be in the market for another horse, always looking. PM me when you have time.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom