Utah archery shops - quality work

4_Plesur

I took my bow to a local archery shop and was less than impressed after I left. I hate when this happens because it really makes me not want to go back. Unfortunately I felt like the young guys behind the counter were more interested in talking hunting stories and drama then working on bows and making sure it was done right.

I went in and asked for two things...
1) A new site tape (adjusted the draw from 28.5 to 28) and changed the arrow
2) To put on a new d loop.

Unfortunately I walked away with a string loop that was gigantic and a site tape that was completely off. I'm sure the owner and a few guys of the bow shop know their stuff and this wouldn't have been the same outcome; but what do you do when you turn your bow over and know that the outcome is not going to be good.

I imagine this might be the case with several shops (as it is with restaurants... a server can give crappy service but that doesn't mean all the servers suck and the owner would do the same).

That said, when you have a shop working on your bow do you ask for someone specific (who is that...I need a good tech I trust to look at a few things)? Do I just need to get to the point of doing everything on my own?

I would start doing everything you can on your own. There’s thousands of videos that show you how for whatever you need. That way the only person you need to depend on is you

I agree with the above. Suck it up, buy a LCA bow press and get after it on your own. Plenty of SOLID instructional videos online. Only reason I need a bow shop is to get an OEM part they the factory won send me.

I have never had a single bow shop out of the 4 I have tried in the salt lake area not do crappy work at some point. My personal favorite was having my drop away rest come unserved opening morning of the deer hunt. If you want it done right do it yourself.

Yep, learn to do your own and buy the tools you need. Press, arrow fletcher, cut off tool, string jig for serving your strings, and a few other things. Fortunately I had an archery shop and have a complete set up in my garage. I also went to PSE and Bowtech schools.
Now I only work on my family's and a few friends bows anymore because archery customers are a general pain in the ass in that they wait until right before a hunt to get bows worked on. Sorry dude but I'm going hunting. You should have been here sooner.

I wasn't in Utah county. I managed one in St. George and had one in Fillmore I was only there about 1.5 years before I moved to Vernal but am now back near Delta.

That's the problem with most bow shops. Unless you get the owner or a guy that's been at it a long time I wouldn't let them touch my bow. The younger kids seem to screw stuff up as much as they fix things and they think they know a lot more than they do.

It really isn't hard to do your own bow. Like most new things it seems intimidating at first. There's instructional videos online today for just about everything. Some bows don't even need a press to be worked on.

Ive had similar nightmares from bow shops in Salt Lake and Utah County. Humphries owns two shops and hires middle school to high school age kids. I learned the hard way and now do my own bow work. I guess this shops motto is to pay little to employees, but charge customers premium prices.

I have been to the 4 shops and also thought they sucked. I did find good techs at Scheels for my Mathews bow. I took a used Halon in that I bought of eBay and they changed everything over and tuned it for me for free. Spent about 2 hours with me and never charged my anything. I didn’t even buy anything from the store. The other shops wanted to charge me for new mods and to set it up. Would have costed me about 250

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom