Utah Bear

Tiny

Well the application period for utah bear is closed, anyone expecting a tag this year? How many points for what hunt did you apply?

GOOD LUCK TO ALL

I should draw a sanjuan fall permit

Been putting in for 12 years to draw Nebo, this being my 13th year and the odds are I still might not draw this year...haha.

I've contemplated other units but I want to hunt my backyard.

Good luck Tiny, I bet the San Juan would be a real fun hunt.

Last edited:
Drew the Nebo multi-season tag in 2017, so after my waiting period and only one bonus point going into the draw this year, I don't have much of a chance, but someone has to draw, right? (y) ;)

Bear.jpg

I can't put in this year due to my tag last year... but I'm not disappointed!

To all you utah boys waiting 20 years to get a bear tag, im officially inviting you to come hunt bears in washington. Otc, $222 for non resident, and season opens august 1st when berries are good. Dont have to get the hides sealed either, just mail in a tooth, postage paid envelope free from wdfw. Come kill a bear in august. Two if you want. Our wdfw estimates we have 25000-30000 bears. Utah estimates approx 4000. So estimated 7x more bears here. Come take a couple. You can have 2 every year.

To all you utah boys waiting 20 years to get a bear tag, im officially inviting you to come hunt bears in washington. Otc, $222 for non resident, and season opens august 1st when berries are good. Dont have to get the hides sealed either, just mail in a tooth, postage paid envelope free from wdfw. Come kill a bear in august. Two if you want. Our wdfw estimates we have 25000-30000 bears. Utah estimates approx 4000. So estimated 7x more bears here. Come take a couple. You can have 2 every year.
Would love to - can you send me a couple waypoints? :ROFLMAO:

Is the country glassable for spot and stalk? Or do most guys set bait? Run hounds?
Baiting and hounds have been illegal here since 1996. Hence the overabundance of bears and underabundance of participation. Spot and stalk is very doable. I prefer hunting thicker country, leaving the binos at home, and calling. But lots of opportunity for spot and stalk if it floats your boat.

Baiting and hounds have been illegal here since 1996. Hence the overabundance of bears and underabundance of participation. Spot and stalk is very doable. I prefer hunting thicker country, leaving the binos at home, and calling. But lots of opportunity for spot and stalk if it floats your boat.
Ahhh...that makes a lot of sense. Have to keep WA in the back pocket for a little summer fun!

Ahhh...that makes a lot of sense. Have to keep WA in the back pocket for a little summer fun!
Not a lot of other stuff going on in august. Really its a great opportunity. I think washington is pretty much invisible to non resident hunters, totally off the radar really, because our deer and elk hunting is piss poor and overpriced for non residents. But our bear hunting is great. Also eastern washington was a september 1st opener up until the 2019 season when we got it changed to august 1st statewide. Word just hasnt really gotten out yet about that change and what a huge difference that makes. I hope the general hunting public catches on soon. I love hunting bears, but there are more than enough to go around. An influx of non residents coming to take advantage of it wouldnt break my heart.

Last edited:
Sounds like utah bear odds are pretty rough, guys with a lot of points. How many tags do they give out each year? Just out of curiosity. Not going to apply.

California has a sh!tload of bears too. Over the counter. You can hunt bear from August (archery) and on same tag continue into rifle.

Rifle season is technically any legal weapon (muzzy, archery, pistol, crossbow).

Season ends last Sunday of year OR when the quota of 1,700 killed is met. Haven't met quota in about 10 years. More info here: https://wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Bear#4552932-licenses--tags

Sounds like utah bear odds are pretty rough, guys with a lot of points. How many tags do they give out each year? Just out of curiosity. Not going to apply.
The state issues about 1,200 draw tags each year + has some harvest objective unit tags on top of that. Roughly 450 bears harvested in 2020.

Come shoot our bears, we have WAY more than the 30-40K listed on the website, the bear biologist told me as well. Plus, we have the majority of bears on Forest Service land and last year we only killed 919, mostly because of the fire closures.

They took away hound-hunting about 10 years ago and there is no baiting, so spot and stock it is.

We have bears, and most deer hunters don't shoot them (yeah, I know!) because they're tasty!

Look how big the bear range is in California! Bear Range Map

Come shoot our bears, we have WAY more than the 30-40K listed on the website, the bear biologist told me as well. Plus, we have the majority of bears on Forest Service land and last year we only killed 919, mostly because of the fire closures.

They took away hound-hunting about 10 years ago and there is no baiting, so spot and stock it is.

We have bears, and most deer hunters don't shoot them (yeah, I know!) because they're tasty!

Look how big the bear range is in California! Bear Range Map
How bout this. These uhtards can come kill 2 bears in washington with any weapon, aug 1-15, and if they still havent had their fill they can take a bow to cali.

How bout this. These uhtards can come kill 2 bears in washington with any weapon, aug 1-15, and if they still havent had their fill they can take a bow to cali.
I'm game and I'll provide a hearty handshake to anyone coming on by. Rifle, for most seasons, begins concurrently with deer, which is basically the 3rd Saturday in September. WE GOT BEARS!

P.S. Northern part of the state has the most bears. You're welcome!

Either no one has got hit yet or people who have are being tight lipped about it...haha

Great plan HAP. With so few people in multiple National Forests last year in California, plus the new growth following fires, you may be in a for a great hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom