Utah Bison

jims

Long Time Member
I'm usually on the other end of the spectrum...offering advice but this time I'm researching high and low to learn more about Utah bison. Fortunately I have 23 pts so am getting closer and closer to finally drawing one of these prized tags of a lifetime. If there are any bison fanatics or other out there willing to share any tips please send me a pm.

I not sure I can give you great advice on this but I just hunted Antelope Island for Bison and it was a super fun hunt. There are some giant old bulls out there. They don't give a lot of tags out but if you're getting close you might want to look at it. I hunted the Henry?s years ago with a friend and it definitely is a tougher hunt. Lot harder to find them and locate a trophy. It depends on the type of hunt you want. I really enjoyed the island hunt because I'm getting older and it is hard for me to miss tons of work and I was able to have lots of friends and family come because it's close. Good luck

Wow, that's great you were lucky enough to bison hunt once and help a friend on a 2nd hunt! Unfortunately they aren't handing out any nonres Antelope Island tags this coming year and it's been several years since they offered nonres 1 tag. They have to offer 2 tags or there aren't any tags available to those with high bonus pts. That's one reason it's taking so long to draw....even with close to max bonus pts!

Another unfortunate deal with Utah is they don't let nonres hunters know in advance of the draw deadline how many tags will be issued. It's pretty much a guessing game from one year to the next which units and seasons will offer high bonus pt tags.

Anyway, I'm certainly look forward to hunting Utah bison! There are getting to be more and more unit and season options although it's lottery type draw odds!

Earlier in the season you hunt them the better. This year was our first outing on the book cliffs for buffalo and it was not to bad at all. Usually we spend time on the henrys. If you draw a tag don't worry. There are a lot of guys out there willing to help out. Hope you get a tag soon!

He would of drew bookcliff but your wonderful ut FISH & game did away with a bunch of non res buffalo hunts!

I’ve hunted the books and Henry’s both for bison several times. What kinda Info are you looking for?

I struck out again this year. As mentioned above they cut a bunch of nonres tags. It's really a drag that they don't let nonres know prior to the deadline if they will have any bonus pt tags available. I understand that quotas aren't made until after winter counts and other decisions are made. I would actually be in favor of later application deadlines after quotas are reached but a lot of guys complain when draw results are delayed. I'll keep rolling the dice and hoping they offer a nonres bonus pt tag where I apply!

Deerkiller, I sent you a pm.

I feel your pain, Jims. Losing the nonres bonus tags is painful for those of us with or close to max points. But if I remember right, the Board upped the number of tags in 2017 or 2018 a on account of the drought, so the 2020 reduction was not unexpected. I may have to move back to UT to draw a bison tag in my lifetime. If you want a real dose of hopelessness, try drawing a nonres Utah moose tag!

All us nonres can do is keep applying and hope and pray we pick the right season that they actually add a bonus tag or 2! As noted by a couple of the posts, it really comes down to how the bison herds are doing. More bison and moose....possibly 1 or 2 more tags!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom