Utah Cactus Buck tag

Jharm

Anyone know much about the pans. Cactus buck tag. My father in law drew. Mom also drew an oak creek rifle tag.

my dad also drew a cactus buck tag, do these cactus bucks migrate like the other deer, or do they stick around? it’s a november hunt

Helped a friend with the cactus tag last year. I also spend a couple days each November just looking at deer on the Pauns.
Think of it as an "opportunity" hunt and not a trophy hunt .
Most of the cactus bucks I've seen are basically 2 points with a bunch of junk around the bases and can be heavy ish. I've seen 1 buck for 3 years straight now that is just a spike with 5 or 6 small points around the bases. He gets longer each year but not by a ton.
Keep in mind that people with the other tags that go before you wont pass on a cactus buck if he is truly big just because he is in velvet. They will be low in November so don't waist time up high. Access to private land would be nice if you can get it.

Did they kill anything even good down there last year? that first year they killed a lot of cool bucks. Last year didn't see anything killed on it I would want to punch my tag on. But who knows

I drew the tag with 6 points. My niece had the tag last year. She hag her chances at an interesting buck. We got to see some jaw dropping Pauns bucks in full blown rut. We had several encounters with the buck they killed on the state wide auction tag. Its a fun hunt for what it is. I live in Kanab so we will see .

The high majority of cactus bucks do not migrate with the main masses of deer.
For whatever reason, they stay on the local ranches and agricultural lands.
Johnson Canyon holds the highest number of these deer and most landowners will give you access to get them culled out.
You won't be alone though, these deer are easy to spot and draw plenty of attention.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom