Utah Cisco South Unit 80" Pronghorn Buck

Drew

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-19 AT 02:56PM (MST)[p]I had a great hunt in south eastern Utah a couple of years ago. I thought I would share a couple of pictures of the buck. There were several large bucks in the area that I was hunting in but this one really caught my eye. The entire story about the hunt is a little embarrassing and the end result was a jammed rifle, a pretty lively and mobile buck, a foot chase and knife scene right out of a horror movie. The good news was, it was a success.

Enjoy!

Drew

LAST EDITED ON Jul-22-19 AT 03:00PM (MST)[p]https://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2019/62229img0820.jpg

RE: Utah Cisco South Unit 90" Pronghorn Buck

I had a great hunt in south eastern Utah a couple of years ago. I thought I would share a couple of pictures of the buck. There were several large bucks in the area that I was hunting in but this one really caught my eye. The entire story about the hunt is a little embarrassing and the end result was a jammed rifle, a pretty lively and mobile buck, a foot chase and knife scene right out of a horror movie. The good news was, it was a success.

Enjoy!

Drew
2139img0820.jpg

>The 80" in the subject line
>isn't right. It green
>scored 90" and dried at
>88.5"
>
>
487492017buckfront.jpg

>
>
>
31899buck2017.jpg

im not seeing 90", but id believe 85. good buck either way, congrats

I would be happy to meet up and let you measure it yourself. It was over 8" in mass all the way up except the last measurement.

Let me know.

Great Goat Drew!!! What character and mass for days!!! And thanks for the pics, regardless of what jokers may say on an internet forum. Good on ya!

Wow, what a knarly, massive buck! Congrats! So you are saying it's 8" at the 3rd mass measurement? Incredible buck! I bet your eyeballs popped when you first spotted him!

I think I need to re-score some of my goats.

neat goat, but not even close to 90.

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

I see close to 90.

These numbers shouldn't be too far off.

Bottom Mass One Horn 8 4/8 and 8 4/8 =17

Top Mass One Horn Total = 7 4/8

Prong= 5 4/8

Length = 15

17 + 7 4/8 + 5 4/8 + 15 = 45 x 2 = 90

Mass is the most important quality for pronghorn score. This buck

has it!

Drew check your P.M.

The buck was just over 15? in one side and just under 15? on the other. The mass for the first three were anywhere between 8 1/4 and 8 7/8. The final mass was over 5?. The length of the prong measured longer than it shows because at that measurement the mass was the highest.

If you have a buck that looks like this one and doubt your measurements, I would have it measured professionally. That's what I did.

Dang nice trophy regardless of any score. Good stuff!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

Awesome buck you took there Drew. Congrats. Mass and extras. What more is there to ask for. Thanks for sharing.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-19 AT 05:36PM (MST)[p]It is a cool buck...but claiming the first 3 mass measurements are over 8" isn't reality.

There is no way the prong is even close to high enough on the horn to get 3 mass measurements below the prong, just no way.

Even if the 3rd quarter was really heavy, you would have to deduct a minimum of 8", probably closer to 9" (4-4.5 per side) for the third quarter measurement as it would be taken above the prong. The 4th quarter isn't close to 5" either...3 on the 4th quarter is probably a gift.

That's going to leave that buck quite a bit under 90.

I also don't think the prong would be close to 5 4/8...more like 5".

But, like Brian said, no matter what the score its a neat buck with a lot of character and a very nice one.

those mass measurements are VERY impressive....there are only 77 pronghorn entries in B&C with at least one mass measurement of 8 or more....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

No, I don't see the difference. I see two bucks that must have similar scores and I see a guy who really needs to get another hobby. Picking on a guy who you don't know and have never met isn't a great pastime.

Drew

It was scored by a Utah Division of Wildlife Biologist who is also the taxidermist who did the job. He is a certified scorer.

If anyone is interested in following up to "check up" on the score. Please do and I would be happy to provide his contact information.

As far as entering it anywhere, I would never do that. I also work for the Utah Division of Wildlife and I consider it a conflict of interest.

Drew

Maybe I missed it, but was it officially accepted into the B&C Records Program?

BOHNTR )))---------->

A B&C OM can measure ANYONE?s trophy other than their own......so please don't consider it a conflict of interest and enter it....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-19 AT 04:04PM (MST)[p]
"It was scored by a Utah Division of Wildlife Biologist who is also the taxidermist who did the job. He is a certified scorer."

I'm not picking on anyone! If he got 3 mass measurements below the prong he is not doing it right. Go take a tape measure yourself from the base to his prong and enlighten all of us please!

37205hornkiller.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-19 AT 05:36PM (MST)[p]It is very rare....but B&C allows 3 mass measurements under the prong....pretty sure P&Y doesn't...

7988173da1178977c4dccba85f8de047104e6.jpeg

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Nice buck Drew!

Thanks for sharing it with us. The knife ending sounds like it would be fun to hear the details over a campfire.

Please don't let the score police deter you from this site.

My wife killed a buck antelope in Nevada that looks real similar to that one.Hers has better prongs though. It officially scored 82 4/8 b&c

Years ago I killed a big buck antelope that was getting scores into the 90s. When I took him to get officially scored by George Tsukamoto at NDOW he said no way you can get three base measurements below the prong. He wound up officially scoring at 85 and six eights.

>Years ago I killed a big
>buck antelope that was getting
>scores into the 90s. When
>I took him to get
>officially scored by George Tsukamoto
>at NDOW he said no
>way you can get three
>base measurements below the prong.
>He wound up officially scoring
>at 85 and six eights.
>
well....even George is wrong

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Not sure why anyone would post a picture on this site with a score attached to it. Years ago it was how wide a mule deer is, now it’s what a trophy scores. If someone post a picture of one of their, typically hard earned trophies, with a measurement attached, and you don’t agree with that measurement, and just can’t stand that they are trying to get away with passing it off as bigger than you believe it is, maybe PM them. Rather than call them out on the public forum.

Not sure about the calling out part. A lot of people use these forums to learn about hunting new animals or to get a good visualization of what a animal will score so they know what they are looking at on a once in a lifetime hunt and when they see a pic and a score/size that are not even close it may lead them down the wrong path.
It is sad that people are so concerned with score/ spread whatever they feel the need to over exaggerate them instead of just being proud of there harvest

Knarly buck I killed a great buck in NM this year and after the high from taking buck and such a cool experience this well north of 82 buck I started looking at it in a negative light.....ohhh if this was a bit better or that maybe he makes this or that...ohhh that deduction will hurt.... wonder what minuscule drying will do.... I decided then I would would never score anything again other than in the most basic way...a big buck or bull or ram is just that...and I'm done with scoring....

Uh.... that doesn't look like the cisco unit.... those fields are in the Book Cliffs unit.

Its ok he works for the DWR so he called and got permission first.

I cant say if those fields are in that unit or not, but that is a very interesting development if so.

The buck was just over 15? in one side and just under 15? on the other. The mass for the first three were anywhere between 8 1/4 and 8 7/8. The final mass was over 5?. The length of the prong measured longer than it shows because at that measurement the mass was the highest.

with a 5" prong measurement Those numbers add up to over 50" a side...... so he was a 100" goat huh?

When I read the headline of this thread I thought 80 inches looked about right.
I don’t know why anybody would pose with with an animal killed in an alfalfa field and then brag about the score of it anyway.
By the way Homer about what I said in my above post. George didn’t mean that antelope can’t be scored with three base measurements below the prong. He meant that he wasn’t going to give me three measurements below the prong on my particular set of horns. Sorry for the confusion that was my bad.

Antelope are very hard to judge even in pictures. I shot this buck in 2016 in Az, first pronghorn ever, lucky, Scored 93 gross 92 2/8 net BC, yes I had it entered in the book. Hard to tell on them, those mass inches add up quick though. Photos can be very deceiving.

128E7EF6-4A5C-43FC-819D-0B66B66C02ED.jpeg

Thats a great goat. Id agree if the 3rd is truly under the prong that goat could gross darn close to 90. That sucker has some serious mass that could sure make up for length with the right combination.

The 80" in the subject line isn't right. It green scored 90" and dried at 88.5"

487492017buckfront.jpg

31899buck2017.jpg
What a beautiful buck. My 13 y/o son drew this tag this year 2020 and i'm looking for any information that we could get as to where to start, can you hunt fields, next to fields, any information. Hoping for a good fun hunt with my family. Thanks in advance

Ok, I figured it out, having 3 of the mass measurements under the prong on both sides, with 15 inch horns would put him way into the 90's. But if you shorten up what you told us on the length I can get it at 88 but only one side is below the prong, the left side prong forks lower than the right side, and I dont see how it could land under the prong, possibly on it but if that was the case you would need to move it to right above, (as I suspect should be done on the right side as well) you give him 13 inch horns (which looks about right to me) and give him the 3rd mass measurement below the prong on the right side since it does fork higher, with 4.5 inch prongs then I can see 88.

This is what I got,
.......... L ......... R
Lgth- 13, ... 13
m1- 8.25, ... 8.25
m2- 8.25, ... 8.25
m3- 8.75, ... 5.25
m4- 3, ........ 3
Prong- 4.5, ... 4.5

Total- 45.75 42.25

so that is 88 gross.

I could honestly see these numbers.

But the fact I had to try and decipher a way to get there is why you have gotten all the flack you have gotten. The numbers you originally gave us would put him right at about 100, there has just been way to many contradictions. I still think some of those numbers are on the high side.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom