Utah Coyotes HELP

TroutJunkie

I've been coyote hunting pretty hard for awhile but, As of the last 2 or 3 years i've completely struck out like I have only seen a few road dogs. I realize this is like one of the most frowned upon things but, if anyone knows of a good spot for hunting coyotes or has seen coyotes frequently or knows of a area they are a nuisance. I am located in Central Utah. Anything really helps PM me if you feel obliged to do so.

If I was in Utah I'd help you out! You might post this in the Utah forum. Most of the people in the predator forum are looking for coyotes themselves.

Not knowing your experience level with coyotes, I'll start with the basics:
Watch the wind. They almost always, 99.99% of the time, try to get downwind (DW);
the stand selection can make or break, the hunt. I always set up with a large opening DW of me. It discourages coyotes from going DW, and if they try, I can see them;
try different calls, such as pig squeals, woodpecker, etc.;
try handcalls. I can put emotion into a handcall that an e-call cannot duplicate;
if you have Foxpro, try a different e-caller. I believe coyotes can distinguish the 'tone' of different callers, and they might be 'Foxpro'd out', due to the Foxpro's, deserved, popularity;
watch the wind.
There is more, but I'll wait for questions.

When I first started out I wasted a lot of time driving around looking for the "perfect" stand. My success went up when I started calling random looking places and thick sage brush flats that a lot of people drove by. I carry a small stool to some stands just so I can see over the brush.

I've had good success using hand calls, as the poster above said, because I can put more emotion into it, but they also tend to freeze up in cold weather and it pinpoints your location.

When using an electronic call I start off a lot of stands with crow or magpie sounds and go silent for a minute or two, followed by dying prey sounds. I've had coyotes come in to just the bird sounds, but that's rare. I've called coyotes using rabbits, woodpeckers, kittens, fawn in distress, hurt pups, etc. Sometimes I use two sounds at once and have used both mouth and electronic calls on the same stand.

I also tend to stay on stand longer than most. I've had just as many coyotes come in after 20 or so minutes as I have early in stands. A lot of guys like to run and gun and get in as many stands as possible. That's just never really worked for me.

The biggest problem with calling coyotes in Utah is everyone is a coyote hunter and they get educated pretty dang quick. Don't be afraid to try something or somewhere "outside the box".

Last edited:
BUT I LOVE the Tally-Ho mouth calls easy to use and can change up the calls for a different sounds.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom