Utah CWMU Hunts

crimedog

Ok I know this is going to be a stupid question, but I have never looked at the CWMU units or really read much about them so I have some questions.

Before you apply do you call the area manager to get permission to hunt the area or do you apply and if drawn make contact with them? Are you given certain time to hunt during the season that they tell you the dates? How exactly does it work? I have thought about applying but I don't really know much about the CWMU units and would love any help on them.

I would call them to find out how they run there outfit but the CWMU tag I drew a few years ago the operator let me pick my 5 days to hunt from september till the end of October.
You dont need to call them for permission, thats why its a CWMU, it is a tag that gives you the right to hunt there ground. I would ask around for a good run CWMU because there is alot of them that people that draw them are upset because they get hosed on them. I personally would stay away from the one run on the Old Causey Estates Property (Skull Crack). Not because I want the tag but because of what I seen and delt with this past fall. There a bunch croked SOB'S
If you draw the tag call the owner or operator and let them know you drew the tag and then go from there.
Good luck.

I totally agree with muzz on this one, call the operator prior too applying to get the scoop on how they run the hunts.
I know there are some awesome properties out there, but most are very restrictive to the public hunters because they also have some very high paying clients hunting the property as well. The ones i know of allow NO pre-scouting and they make you hunt AFTER the paying clients are gone. Just do your homework, that's the best advice i can give.

I drew a CWMU last year and harvested a pretty good bull. This particular unit, the operator let me scout a week before the hunt started and gave me 5 days in mid september to hunt. I was given those 5 days with NO other hunter on the property. Then after the rest of the hunters were through, those who have not filled their tag were allowed back on the property. I shot my bull the end of October but was allowed to hunt until mid November.

So each unit is different, this one the operators want success and are more than willing to help you and will watch the herds for you and let you know where they are hanging out. In fact, they even called me when more herds migrated through the property.

Do your research, there are some great opportunities out there to beat the crowds. I never once was bothered by anybody and met some cool hunters and we actually helped each other out.

Great advice, I would also add that I would absolutely try to contact previous hunters that experieced the unit and operators.

The only thing I would add is....

DO NOT WAIT UNTIL FEBRUARY 15th AT 10 PM to 'contact the operator'--start as early as December if you are thinking of applying. Many have emails--listed on the CWMUA web page--send them an email as well.

http://www.cwmuutahwildlife.org/

Good luck...

Todd Black
BTO

I drew the Old Woman Plateau. It's east of Salina up I-70. The elk are there year round, but most of them migrate through when the spike elk hunts or snow pushes them down.

It was a fun hunt! I picked up a good set of the previous year 6 point elk sheds that were literally 3 feet apart, saw some good bucks and all the coyotes you could shoot.

They kill some good bulls on there (380 class), but average would be about 320-350 class. If you wanted a awesome hunt and would be happy with a nice bull, this is your unit. If you would rather wait 20 more years and try for a 400+ inch bull, keep applying elsewhere.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom