Utah Desert Bighorn

elkantlers

Long Time Member
After 25 years of applying for Desert Sheep in Utah I finally got a permit. The Unit is literally out my back door and I have spent a lot of time out there over the years. It was a great summer scouting other than the lack of sheep. I saw 1 ram in June and didn't see another sheep until the 3rd day of my hunt when I found 4 ewes. I really wanted to use my Muzzleloader on this hunt, but the lack of sheep was making me wonder if I was crazy for doing so.
I was able to turn this ram up on day nine at about 1000yds feeding along the top of some cliffs. pretty much as soon as I spotted him, he fed up and over a ridge into some Cedars. I didn't get a real good look at him but knew I needed to get closer and try to find him again to see. I had my wife and 2 daughters with me. we made our way over to the cedar bench he went into. I noticed a little side canyon further to the east and figured that was where he would most likely go. we made our way over to the edge and started slipping along looking for him. we had gone just a short way when I saw him in a break in the cedars about 30yds below me feeding. I raised my hand to stop everyone. I looked at him with my binos and confirmed he was definitely a shooter. At that time he looked up at us, whirled and took off at a dead run down and across the little canyon. I told everyone that if he stopped, I was going to shoot him. Thankfully he stopped as he was nearing the top of the other side. I had a good rest on a dead cedar and was able to make a good shot and he went right down. I couldn't see anything because of the smoke but my family was pretty animated when he went down.
All in all, it couldn't have been much better.
I had a lot of help from family and friends throughout the year with scouting and planning. I couldn't have done it without them. It certainly makes the whole experience much better and more enjoyable. Thanks to all of them.

Screenshot_20220927-095407_Instagram.jpg

20220925_080840.jpg

Resized_Resized_20220601_112834[1597].jpg

20220915_122753.jpg

20220917_070705.jpg

20220919_180812.jpg

This is a picture of my ram from October 2020. Some friends had this picture and sent it to me when they heard I got him.

Screenshot_20220925-150337_Instagram[1622].jpg

What a great ram and some beautiful pictures of the country you hunted in! Congrats on getting it done with the muzzy as well.

Thanks for sharing your adventure and pics - I have a sheep tag that opens in a few weeks and I am going crazy!!

Congratulations, that’s a great ram and has some awesome character. Pretty crazy to go from barely seeing any sheep to see a ram like that.

Beautiful ram. Much respect for sticking with your muzzy--I would not have the faith in my own muzzy abilities to do that.

Just perfect Me elkantlers!
Your home range, stud ram, fantastic animals, what more could a guy want?!!!!
Congratulations on a successful adventure!

Zeke

Much congrats, thanks for posting and the terrific photos! Really exceptional once in a lifetime trophy harvest, well done!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom