Utah draw odds?

walleye1121

Why does Utah post such inaccurate drawing odds?
Henry Mt. archery deer suggests roughly 1 in 52 odds.
But with bonus points factored in the true odds are 1 in 946.

20220610_174902.jpg

Why does Utah post such inaccurate drawing odds?
Henry Mt. archery deer suggests roughly 1 in 52 odds.
But with bonus points factored in the true odds are 1 in 946.

View attachment 78491
It’s not really drawing odds, it’s more success ratio like it says on the top there, it just means 1 in 51 people drew a tag between bonus and regular tags, which is completely accurate.

I disagree.
Even if you go to the simple terms 4 tags went to 461 people.
No, 9 tags went to 461 people, wether it’s bonus tags or regular tags that’s the fact, and 461 divided by 9 is 51, therefore 1 in 51 people drew a tag, like I said your odds are not 1 in 51 but that’s the “success ratio”, I will never understand why the link the DWR uses to these documents says draw odds because that’s not what they are, they are just draw results like it says on the top

Ok, that is true but with bonus points in the mix you are more than one applicant x your points.
Not trying to argue, but it is misleading and should probably be left off the sheet.

The most accurate number would be to use Non-Bonus tags and the total number of entries for those tags. In this case, after removing those applicants who drew the 5 bonus tags, you have 3993 total entries for the remaining 4 tags. So, there are roughly 1000 entries per each of those tags. You can then find your odds by using the number of entries you have, divided by 1000. Someone applying for the first time has a 1/1000 (0.1%) chance. Those in that 20 point pool had a 20/1000 (2%) chance.

I did this for the Book Cliffs South Rifle tag I drew... my odds of getting a random tag with 3 BPs (4 entries)..? Just 0.8%.

Regardless of how you look at it, it's Utah form of gambling. The Wildlife Board could help the situation by changing it to where everything is limited entry. The way it is now if a young person started putting in they may draw out in their 60's.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom