Utah Elk

Shot this Utah general archery bull on Monday night sitting a treestand over water. Hit him perfect and he had no idea what happened. Slowly walked 30 yards and piled up??
812BF896-AA02-44BC-9FFD-15E1B008466E.jpeg
9E735869-F4E9-4C4C-A531-5FF269CE423F.jpeg

Been a long time coming, 21 pts. Scouted Boulder,Dutton, and Central Manti several years, couldn't even draw Boulder Archery and less than satisfied with what we saw on the Dutton /Manti. Wasatch is imo a B+ unit but I've got inches on my wall already so the generous hunting season's was enough to pull the trigger....super excited. We leave 9-8 for the duration, bow/ER/Muzzy. Time in the woods is what it's all about these days. Encouraging all the MM faithful to focus on family and just making memories.

Been a long time coming, 21 pts. Scouted Boulder,Dutton, and Central Manti several years, couldn't even draw Boulder Archery and less than satisfied with what we saw on the Dutton /Manti. Wasatch is imo a B+ unit but I've got inches on my wall already so the generous hunting season's was enough to pull the trigger....super excited. We leave 9-8 for the duration, bow/ER/Muzzy. Time in the woods is what it's all about these days. Encouraging all the MM faithful to focus on family and just making memories.
I agree with what’s been said, but no way you have not thought about walking up to a giant bull you harvested and enjoying that experience with your family.
Have you not thought that hand delt?

Just think about what you posted? You want a big bull just like everyone else who has a LE tag. You’re trying to justify Wasatch as B+? You “settled” because you want time in the woods and family..
You got the Wasatch tag, because you wanted that tag.

I agree with what’s been said, but no way you have not thought about walking up to a giant bull you harvested and enjoying that experience with your family.

Just think about what you posted? You want a big bull just like everyone else who has a LE tag. You’re trying to justify Wasatch as B+? You “settled” because you want time in the woods and family..
Not sure I'm following you Butts, Wasatch is a good unit ( well above average hence B+)with great bulls. Definitely a possibility of a bruiser, that's what I'll pursue. My point was Wasatch isn't the Boulder caliber unit, I pulled the trigger because it had potential AND I could hunt every open season. Love chasing Bulls and want to be out there A LOT. Personal choice of which I don't regret. Fortunately I have been blessed with great bulls , inches isn't as Important as it once was .

I saw a bull on the Snatch last night that I would put money is 370 or better. I have heard rumor of a few others and regularly see bulls that are 340-350. The Wasatch can produce, and if you have the multi season enjoy it. And if you have inches already, have fun and do what’s best for you and yours

The cow I shot Friday morning on the Wasatch had a BIG bull with her that I'd shoot without hesitation with any weapon. I archery hunt the Wasatch every year and see big bulls consistently. You have a great tag enjoy your September!

Nice bull on a general tag elkhunterUT congrrats!

Just got back yesterday from Central Mtns Manti hunting the LE archery opener. Didn’t see many elk (bulls or cows) in a week of hunting. I did see one 6x6 with 17 cows. Lots of monsoonal moisture. Hope it picks up the last week of the archery season or at least by early rifle season…

Horniac
04819E42-5F5F-4AA6-B7DF-F56DAEE5A682.jpeg

C402B4A7-6481-4CB5-AC56-5575CE8EB2CF.jpeg
1CC87269-CC27-4470-A715-618AC2AA1BED.jpeg

Just got back yesterday from Central Mtns Manti hunting the LE archery opener. Didn’t see many elk (bulls or cows) in a week of hunting. I did see one 6x6 with 17 cows. Lots of monsoonal moisture. Hope it picks up the last week of the archery season or at least by early rifle season…

Horniac
View attachment 85331

View attachment 85333View attachment 85330
I'm headed to the Manti starting Sept. 8th for the duration of the season. Going to try and punch my NM tag first. I feel better about my decision now. But that's unfortunate you didn't see many elk. Good thing the season is LONG.

Horniac
View attachment 85331

View attachment 85333View attachment 85330
Good luck Horniac! Looks a bit wet and cold! You have an amazing tag and the hunting will only get better as the bulls get a bit more rutty. Hope you slam a monster!!

For those in the woods now, please keep us posted on what's going on....like I really need that ,as I can't sleep well now in anticipation . Nothing better than being in elk country and listening to bugles. I want to say Thank You to a few great folks within the MM faithful that have helped a NR get started in the right direction.

In this case he can have his cake and eat it too

I'm headed to the Manti starting Sept. 8th for the duration of the season. Going to try and punch my NM tag first. I feel better about my decision now. But that's unfortunate you didn't see many elk. Good thing the season is LONG.
Yeah a LONG season and my reason for going on the opener was to mainly learn the road and trail system and access points with a chance of getting lucky. In essence, a glorified scouting trip.

With that being said, the unit is so darn big I barely scratched the surface but I think I was in the right places from what I have been told and the elk should show up during the rut.

Good luck in NM Huntnful and have fun on the Manti! The last week of the LE archery hunt you are also not on the mountain with the OTC spike/cow hunters. It is a beautiful place with so much country to cover/look at it is easy to spread yourself too thin…

Horniac

Good luck Horniac! Looks a bit wet and cold! You have an amazing tag and the hunting will only get better as the bulls get a bit more rutty. Hope you slam a monster!!
Thanks elkhunterUT! It looks like it warmed up this week with little to no rain and 70 degrees.

I would have thought the elk would have been out longer in the day with the cooler weather/rain we had but we just didn’t see that many for whatever reason. No bugles or cows chirping either that we heard...

Horniac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom