Utah gen elk hunt

>How many tags are they going
>to offer for all 3
>season? Can't find it
>in Proc.

Just as many as they can Sell!:D

Like Bess said as many as they can . Bess can you answer a question for me I've heard that they are going to do this 3 season chit for spikes on LE units . I hope it's bullchit.

On page 11 it has the tags fee's

Gen Mutli-season gen elk or spike bull

$150 ressy's

$700 non-ressy's

So I say yes on the spike units too

Robb

Thanks Robb That's a croc of chit wait 15 to 20 years to draw a tag and have to put up with unlimited spike hunters on a LE units.

Yea that's a bad deal on the spike hunts. There was talk a while back about rotating the units?

Have you guys never witnessed a rifle spike hunt? Most of those idiots are too dumb to even find a spike, let alone actually possess the skills to shoot and kill one. The only hunt this could possibly have a negative effect on is the archery. I would assume you'll get a few extra "bow hunters" now if they can hunt all 3 seasons. But even after the first week of the season most people quit and stay home. I really don't think you'll have much of a difference now with the 3 season hunts as you have had in the past. 10% of the hunters kill 90% of the elk. The guys who are usually successful will still be the ones killing the elk. Just because a guy can hunt 3 seasons now doesn't mean that will increase his "odds" at killing an elk. You've still gotta know what you're doing

I have been deployed with the military for a year and didn't apply last year for permits or dig into the regulation. So if I'm reading this right PG 18 hard copy/ PG 10 on digital PDF 2018 Guidebook for $150 OTC spike bull/any bull hunter (I use that term with caution) they have the opportunity to keep the animals worked up for 3 seasons? And the Limited Entry applicant that was finally successful after 8, 10 or 15 years of faithfully applying (and paying application fee @ $10 per year)now gets to deal with these jack wagons. I often support the regulation changes the DWR comes up with as they try to balance hunting opportunity with responsible wildlife and habitat management. However this is a bad idea and it punishes the faithful longtime supporter that have been applying for the Limited Entry permits.

And yes this is strictly about the money, not increased opportunity to have a quality, peaceful and rewarding hunt. The DWR will sell 200,000 of these permits if people show up to buy them.

I've seen it first hand a buddy of mine had San-Juan archery tag and these spike hunters were everywhere and they were all carrying a bugle and video camera.To hunt spikes really it was total bullchit.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-18 AT 07:12AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-18 AT 07:10?AM (MST)

You can only buy a 3 season tag if you are buying the any weapon tags, They sell 15,000 any bull, and 15000 spike any weapon tags every year. So to answer the original question they "CAN" sell 15,000 tags to hunt the any bull areas, AND 15,000 tags to hunt the Spike only any weapon areas, so a possible 30,000 "three season tags" could be sold. They sell out of the any weapons tags every year, so I fail to see how the rifle hunt could be any more crowded than any other year.

They also sell roughly 12,000 archery tags that can be used statewide in the any bull areas and the spike only areas.

So is what you might see is a bunch of archery guys jumping over to the any weapon hunt and buying the 3 season tag so they can hunt the archery hunt, and use the rifle hunt as a backup.

I really don't see a whole lot of guys that primarily hunt rifle buying one of these tags and hunting archery as most rifle guys dont have the equipment.

I actually see the muzzleloader hunt being impacted the most. Right now all muzzloader tags come out of the 15,000 any weapon tags (roughly 2-3000 if memory serves me right). I could see lots of rifle guys using the 3 season tag to hunt the muzzloader hunt.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

I've always bought archery tags, never bought a rifle or muzzy. But this year I'll buy the 3 season tag. I'm betting I kill one on the archery, but I like having the option of hunting more if I need it.

Jake thanks for the reply, I didn't know if you bought a three season hunt if it would count as 3 people towards the total cap. Looks like it's going to add more pressure.

Deerlove where is it going to add pressure?

Here's is the way I see it. It may add a slight amount of pressure on the archery hunt but not much, Rifle will have the same amount of guys it always does, probably less because the people that will be utilizing this the most will be the archers and they are going to put most of their focus on the archery hunt and might make it out for the weekends of the rifle hunt if they don't tag out. The only place I can see there being a possibility for an increase in pressure is on the muzzloader hunt, and it currently has very few participants as it is so I don't see it being to big of an issue either other than the weekend.

458738e374dfcb10.jpg

I also got to point out, the spike hunts could be a whole different beast, I've never hunted the spike hunt so I can't say one way or the other on that. I've never been a fan of them.

My opinion is mostly pointed at the any bull areas.

458738e374dfcb10.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom