Utah Gunsmith for a Weatherby Mark V

Elkhunter96

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-16 AT 12:38PM (MST)[p]Looking for recommendations on a gunsmith who can work on a Weatherby. Looking for a trigger job and maybe some accuracy work. blue printing or whatever needs to be done to bring it inline with my other rifles.

If you're blue-printing an action, the barrel will need to be removed and the action done then the shoulder on the barrel trued and the thing re-chambered. If I were going to do all that, I'd have a new custom barrel installed while at it!

Okay to answer your question. I have no idea who I'd take your rifle to except for

Roger's rifles 801-250-0698
6463 King Valley Road
West Valley, Ut

Ask Roger what he'd do and then check your budget.

Zeke

Thanks, I am not against re-barreling. Through research, it sounds like Weatherby's are harder to work on compared to other rifles, 9 lug vs 2 lug, etc. I will reach out to Roger and see if he has some thoughts...

Elkhunter, the procedure for lapping the lugs for better contact is the same for a two lug or nine lug Weatherby, if that is the problem. Very rare problem in the Mark V actions. If you are having an accuracy problem, odds will be that it is a bedding or barrel problem.
If that Weatherby has been shot a lot, good chance you have barrel erosion just in front of the chamber.

RELH

>Elkhunter, the procedure for lapping the
>lugs for better contact is
>the same for a two
>lug or nine lug Weatherby,
>if that is the problem.
>Very rare problem in the
>Mark V actions. If you
>are having an accuracy problem,
>odds will be that it
>is a bedding or barrel
>problem.
> If that
>Weatherby has been shot a
>lot, good chance you have
>barrel erosion just in front
>of the chamber.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH

All true.
Zeke

Mark V actions are notorious for not making contact on all 9 lugs. Many only contact on about half of them. Even if it's only contacting on four or five lugs though, it shouldn't effect your accuracy. At least this is what I was told by a Weatherby factory gunsmith last December.

I know this post is a few months old but I'd like to comment on the Weatherby Mark V triggers. They are amazing triggers right out of the box although the pull is a bit heavy. I ordered a lighter spring for mine and followed Weatherby's instructions for setting sear adjustment...and now my trigger is on par with any of the Timneys I've shot. I've got it set around 2 lbs and it breaks clean as crud.

For the accurizing part I would start with a good full length bedding job and see what happens. My Mark V is an Accumark in 338-378 that has been bedded with Devcon and it's shooting around 5/8 MOA with minimal load development.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom