Utah Hunter - New changes for 2005

R

RKenSparc

If you look at the Utah proposed changes to the big game draw for 2005 you will notice the DWR is purposing that the Once-in-lifetime draw be combined with the limited entry draw ? so you would have to choose between ?deer, elk, antelope, moose, bison, sheep, goats, and any other species I might have missed.

My understanding is this will somehow increase my odds of whatever I apply for because the hunters will be distributed between more hunts. However they still allow you purchase preference points ? so won't this make that much harder for me to draw my elk tag, when the hunter who has been buying points for the last 8 years applies for the same hunt, because he got his deer permit the previous year? The only thing I see this change accomplishing is more revenue from the sell of preference points, and likely out of state hunters having a better chances at the very limited number of once in a lifetime hunts, because I believe most Utahns are going to apply for deer, elk and antelope tags ? leaving the once in lifetime hunts open. Contact you RAC officials if you feel the same and tell them not to do this.

RE: I agree

Its time the DWR stood up and took some responsability. They are revenue seekers not wildlife managers. According to the math when I am 87 I will draw an elk tag. By then I will be too damn old to go. They can say what they want but the Deer have not rebounded and their counts are way off.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-04 AT 04:05PM (MST)[p]I attended the RAC meeting for the Central Region on Tuesday, October 12. Almost everyone that had comments to make spoke out strongly against having to pick which hunt you apply for. Everyone still wanted the options to apply for a LE Elk and their once in a lifetime tag, realizing that they could only draw one. When it came time for the RAC members to vote, they voted in favor of sportsman to continue to allow them to put in for both options. That was good news. I don't know how things went in the other RAC meetings. The Wildlife Board has the ultimate decision. That meeting is held in November.

Mark

The northern RAC voted against it as well. I don't think the rest of the RACs will pass it either. By the way. The revenue is the same whether you put in for a point or the permit so either decision wont effect the DWR. The application fee is the same. 5$. Have a great day.

Chad

all i can say is i am so glad i no longer live in utah all the dwr see's is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ good luck to all that lives there

How did the RAC's vote on the changes that were recommended for the LE rifle elk hunts, etc.?
a*r
A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

My question is, How is all these increases in tag fees helping the animals? I see all these increases the various states are trying to adopt and I can't see why!!!! If you double the cost for the tag how is this helping the animals? This is getting out of hand and I bet PETA is just loving it. These DWR's are going to start losing hunters unless they make if more fair and equitiable. The average hunter has to take out a loan just to apply. I thought that hunting was for everyone, not just the rich. This is very discriminating. I'm waiting for someone to sue these DWR's and I'll back them. There's no differences between the states for animal costs, how can all of them charge a different price? An elk is an elk! Its cheaper to go out and buy a farm cow than and elk. I'm not from Utah, but hunt there as often as I can get a tag. My home state of Nevada, getting a tag is like winning the lottery. Nevada has the highest price for an out of state hunter for elk $1200. This is stupid and greedy. I even sent them an e-mail and ask why? Where is this extra money going? I've been applying for an LE elk tag in Utah for the past 7 years, hoping to draw such a coveted tag. Utah has a great elk herd, why ruin it! With all this greedy money put in some extra water tanks, at least. My 2 cents.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom