Utah Hunting vs Politics

cannonball

Very Active Member
One of the people running for Governor in Utah says if he is elected he will double the economy in ten years. Sometimes more is not better. How are your hunting privileges going to be in ten years?

Since the Utah Governor isn't the only one that will affect our hunting privileges or options, it's not looking too promising for those of us who don't have hunting high enough on our list of priorities to justify spending the money it will take to get licenses and permits, pay access fees, buy guns and ammo and other hunting gear.

And, I suspect fishing won't be too far behind with boat launching, inspection, and trailer licensing fees, more slot limits, managing lakes and streams for cutthroats only, limiting the number of fishermen allowed per day, lures only, flyfishing only, float tubes only, etc. How about a fishing license draw? Wouldn't that be fun!

And that's not even mentioning trapping!

Enjoy it while you can.

Of course, we do have one option and that is to show up at the RAC and Wildlife Board meetings in large numbers and speak up!

Since the Utah Governor isn't the only one that will affect our hunting privileges or options, it's not looking too promising for those of us who don't have hunting high enough on our list of priorities to justify spending the money it will take to get licenses and permits, pay access fees, buy guns and ammo and other hunting gear.

And, I suspect fishing won't be too far behind with boat launching, inspection, and trailer licensing fees, more slot limits, managing lakes and streams for cutthroats only, limiting the number of fishermen allowed per day, lures only, flyfishing only, float tubes only, etc. How about a fishing license draw? Wouldn't that be fun!

And that's not even mentioning trapping!

Enjoy it while you can.

Of course, we do have one option and that is to show up at the RAC and Wildlife Board meetings in large numbers and speak up!
Rac meetings are just for show. They don’t listen to anyone, they do what they had in mind before the meeting ever took place. It’s all for show. I don’t believe they’ll ever make fishing a draw. It wouldn’t limit money coming in. We all know the dwr is only about raising revenue, not limit or lower it

Rac meetings are just for show. They don’t listen to anyone, they do what they had in mind before the meeting ever took place. It’s all for show. I don’t believe they’ll ever make fishing a draw. It wouldn’t limit money coming in. We all know the dwr is only about raising revenue, not limit or lower it

So, where do you think those ideas they have in mind come from? And when and where did they first hear them? Just because they don't accept an idea when they first hear it, that doesn't mean it won't be approved later. Haven't you noticed that there are some people or groups that keep showing up, time after time, and eventually they make a difference, sometimes a BIG difference. It's surprising to see how many people judge the system based on what they see at a few RAC or Wildlife Board meetings. Managing wildlife and hunting is a LONG term ever-changing task, but most hunters just want a quick easy fix. Sorry, but there isn't one!

And, yes, the DWR needs to keep raising revenue to meet your demands of more and bigger game animals, but that's only the means to their goal, which is to manage Utah's wildlife for the maximum benefit of all Utahns. If that bothers you, then maybe you should show up at the RAC & Wildlife Board meeting (online for now) and give them some alternatives. In any case, what ever you do or don't do, you've made a choice!

Well. When the head of the DWR is taken hunting for bears by WLH, do you think they discuss football?

Yup, that happened this spring.

Anyone who has attended a RAC has seen it.
Anyone who watches a WB meeting watches it in action.

WB members have families running guide services, you think what’s good for them isn’t discussed ever?

Did we all not watch the bid process for the expo?

Of course it takes money to run the agency.

The problem IS THAT MONEY IS RUNNING THE AGENCY.

Seriously. When the director is hunting with WLH, after sheep fiasco, and AI fiasco, it shows how unbelievably tone deaf the Agency is

Well. When the head of the DWR is taken hunting for bears by WLH, do you think they discuss football?

WB members have families running guide services, you think what’s good for them isn’t discussed ever?

Seriously. When the director is hunting with WLH, after sheep fiasco, and AI fiasco, it shows how unbelievably tone deaf the Agency is

So the director has heard some ideas from Wade Lemon! Has he heard or is he gonna hear any good ideas from you?

So tell somebody who can influence him (or the Wildlife Board). Just make sure it's a sound, workable idea that will benefit others as well as the animals.

......as well as the animals, that doesn’t interfere with the corporate hunting industry, and their pursuits.

I think you forgot the goal of the WB and upper management of DWR.

My point was simple. When the director of the DWR is hanging out with WLH, and we get letters from the DWR covering sheep poaching, you know the “fix is in”.

When members of the WB are also running guide services, it’s pretty easy to figure out why things are done the way they are.

Last, I’ve been, to RACS. I was there the night the hunters, and RAC decided to put a 2week window into goose season so it could extend later into Jan. The window put during the rifle deer season when amajority would be hunting deer.

Unanimous agreement, EXCEPT the spokesmen for 3 high dollar duck clubs up off Bear River. They would lose “billable hours”(I still remember the exact phrase).

The northern RAC voted to approve.

Then, out comes the proclamation and imagine my suprise?, the corporate interests went above the RAC, and the northern goose zone was created, screwing the regular guys but benefitting “billable hours”

Anyone who attends RACS sees it. To the point that corporate interests will voice at them, but it’s pretty obvious that is just a formality. The actual work comes after. Like taking directors hunting. Taking governors. Etc, etc.

Psychologists call it GROUP MENTALITY. That is where outside input is heard, but not welcome. They talk amongst themselves and that is where influence comes from. We're seeing it more each day in this society, especially with the DWR and the Utah Wildlife Board. You can kiss Mule Deer hunting goodby.

Bullseye!?

So your solution is to avoid the RAC's and Wildlife Board meetings and just vent on the internet? Personally, I prefer to stay involved and take what little victories I can get.

So your solution is to avoid the RAC's and Wildlife Board meetings and just vent on the internet? Personally, I prefer to stay involved and take what little victories I can get.

To be frank.

Im not sure what the solution is anymore. The corruption has become standard procedure, it’s not novel.

Maybe a Gov not tied to THE DON? I don’t see one this year.

Ideally WB members that aren’t guides. Rules on the director not being able to use guides?

Honestly I’m at a loss. I was tipped off to the Director hanging out with WLH months ago. It pretty much disgusted me. It did the guy who told me as well, and he is a pretty connected guy.

So there it is. I don’t know how to fix it. But I know what I see at RAC ain’t it. The WB meetings I watch aren’t either.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom