Utah late muzzleloader deer hunts

elkhuntn247

Just wondering if any of you guys have had any experiences with these hunts? Worth your points?

I’m considering putting in for one this year. I hunt primarily with a muzzleloader in Utah and think this could be a great hunt this year, last year not so much. The dates were a bit early last year.

if anyone has pics of their late muzzy harvest, I’d love to see!

IMO there not worth the pts, your start date is only 3 days after the rifle season. I've seen people throw 12 to 14 pts at them.
I put my name in the hat this year as a non-res with 7 pts. There really aren’t any other options besides a slight step above general limited-entry hunt in the earlier season that’ll take another 15 + years to draw. I’m not sure any of the hunts are really worth the the time waiting, but if you set your bars on antler-size bar a little lower and just wanna have a fun time. They are some great places to hunt and possibly a little rut action on these late muzzy tags.

I put my name in the hat this year as a non-res with 7 pts. There really aren’t any other options besides a slight step above general limited-entry hunt in the earlier season that’ll take another 15 + years to draw. I’m not sure any of the hunts are really worth the the time waiting, but if you set your bars on antler-size bar a little lower and just wanna have a fun time. They are some great places to hunt and possibly a little rut action on these late muzzy tags.
I’m right there with you. Enough points to draw a late muzzy, and with point creep years out from even the easiest to draw LE hunts.

I have had some pretty decent rut action during this time frame on the extended archery.

IMO there not worth the pts, your start date is only 3 days after the rifle season. I've seen people throw 12 to 14 pts at them.
Always been my same logic with these hunts. But I hunt muzzleloader elk every year so I’m out in the field during this time. I’ve seen what could be a great opportunity a few of the years. Some years not so great. Just don’t know if I wanna gamble it ?

Just my 2 cents worth. I think these should be included in the general draw. They’re not worth burning LE points on but would be a decent option for the general and tags are restricted anyways.

Yeah I do think these hunts are structured to get people out of the deer draw.

they have been fairly consistent with tag numbers so calculating odds should be fairly accurate.

I did decide to jump in on one with my 9 points. I expect to draw... but you never know these days ? It’s on a unit that I’ve been hunting for more than 10 years now. So I know the unit well, and have had some great success there.

I did do some winter range scouting to gauge possible potential for the 2021 season. So between my winter scouting, and encounters during the 2020 general season I saw several bucks that I would have no remorse shooting on 9 points.

I've got enough points to draw the unit I want, and I did aplly for it this year, but, with the later dates, I'm expecting some higher point guys to jump in and push me out. Hope not, I'm wanting to burn these points and get back into the Elk draw.

I've got enough points to draw the unit I want, and I did aplly for it this year, but, with the later dates, I'm expecting some higher point guys to jump in and push me out. Hope not, I'm wanting to burn these points and get back into the Elk draw.
I do think you’ll see a bit of a jump in guys with the later dates.

I’m in the same boat as you, I was off my waiting period in 2020 and just wanna get back in on elk ?

Dumped my 12 or 13 points last year on one. I don’t regret it at all and I didn’t even kill one. My 9 year old son brushed our target buck (180 typical) to me and I whiffed at 90 yards. It was definitely warm but we enjoyed our time together. I’ll burn points every single time for an opportunity like that to hunt with my son.

I burned my 12 NR points on a late muzzy hunt last year. The mature bucks were just starting to emerge on last years dates. No regrets and pleased to be out of the points chase for UT deer. I also spent NV points on a reissued muzzy tag and will spend WY points this year. Getting out of the carrot dangle schemes and just going hunting.

I drew this tag last year with 1 point so obviously no complaints as I sneak in a deer tag while on elk waiting period. Hunt was tough compared to what I envisioned it to be (had visions of rut crazed bucks standing still right off the road). But there were some pleasant surprises that would be common to this hunt across the board regardless of late october vs early november dates. The unit I hunted (Panguitch Lake) had only 5 permits and I never saw another hunter. I also saw multiple good bucks, but instead of rut crazed they were on high alert and blew out everytime I tried to close distance (obviously me and my 10 year old accomplice were not the best spot and stalk hunters ever). I looked at the dwr harvest report a couple of weeks ago and it looks like only 2 of the 5 hunters on the Panguitch harvested. I was one of them and I will readily admit that as I opted to make memories with my above mentioned accomplice on the 2nd to last day it was not what many would consider a "Monster Muley". So at best best 1 out of 5 harvested a true big buck on the Panguitch Lake last year. All those caveats aside - I had a blast and loved the evolution of patterning several groups of deer and ultimately harvesting one with a great accomplice along for the ride.

So long story short, I loved hunting with no pressure from other hunters and I will likely look at hunts like this in the future as a good option for reducing the wait between limited entry type tags and for me personally I will happily trade off the likelihood of killing a giant for the opportunity to have a chance more often.

I drew this tag last year with 1 point so obviously no complaints as I sneak in a deer tag while on elk waiting period. Hunt was tough compared to what I envisioned it to be (had visions of rut crazed bucks standing still right off the road). But there were some pleasant surprises that would be common to this hunt across the board regardless of late october vs early november dates. The unit I hunted (Panguitch Lake) had only 5 permits and I never saw another hunter. I also saw multiple good bucks, but instead of rut crazed they were on high alert and blew out everytime I tried to close distance (obviously me and my 10 year old accomplice were not the best spot and stalk hunters ever). I looked at the dwr harvest report a couple of weeks ago and it looks like only 2 of the 5 hunters on the Panguitch harvested. I was one of them and I will readily admit that as I opted to make memories with my above mentioned accomplice on the 2nd to last day it was not what many would consider a "Monster Muley". So at best best 1 out of 5 harvested a true big buck on the Panguitch Lake last year. All those caveats aside - I had a blast and loved the evolution of patterning several groups of deer and ultimately harvesting one with a great accomplice along for the ride.

So long story short, I loved hunting with no pressure from other hunters and I will likely look at hunts like this in the future as a good option for reducing the wait between limited entry type tags and for me personally I will happily trade off the likelihood of killing a giant for the opportunity to have a chance more often.
I think the lack of other hunters will make it worth it alone ? it sounds like you guys had a great time. I cant wait for my little boy to be old enough to come ruin a couple stalks me! Cause man I can remember ruining a few for my old man! Good memories.

I hunted on a late ML tag last year. I hunted hard and only saw a handful of bucks in 5 days of hunting. The best part, as others have said, is that I had the mountain almost to myself. The weather was warm and dry with a full moon which probably didn't help much. For the 5 points that I burned to go I would say it was worth it. I ended up with a mature buck on the 5th day (he didn't score well but it was fun chasing him).

This is the post I made after the hunt if you're interested.

I hunted on a late ML tag last year. I hunted hard and only saw a handful of bucks in 5 days of hunting. The best part, as others have said, is that I had the mountain almost to myself. The weather was warm and dry with a full moon which probably didn't help much. For the 5 points that I burned to go I would say it was worth it. I ended up with a mature buck on the 5th day (he didn't score well but it was fun chasing him).

This is the post I made after the hunt if you're interested.
Cool looking buck! ??

I drew one 3 years ago and burned 12 points to do it. I had a particular buck in mind though and new about when he showed up. A bit of a gamble to see if he made it through the other hunts. He did. killed him on the last day of the hunt. BTW I passed a solid 180+ typical twice but only because we knew mine was still alive. This is him to the left.

I drew one 3 years ago and burned 12 points to do it. I had a particular buck in mind though and new about when he showed up. A bit of a gamble to see if he made it through the other hunts. He did. killed him on the last day of the hunt. BTW I passed a solid 180+ typical twice but only because we knew mine was still alive. This is him to the left.
Yeah I’d say he was worth the 12 points ??

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom