Utah LE bull elk hunts need to change.

@Ultimag

Pretty simple really. If you make people use a less lethal weapon, Such as muzzleloaders with round ball ammo or recurve bows, you will inherently have more wounding loss. Multiply that with today's #sendit mentality and there will no doubt be a much higher wounding loss.

@Ultimag

Pretty simple really. If you make people use a less lethal weapon, Such as muzzleloaders with round ball ammo or recurve bows, you will inherently have more wounding loss. Multiply that with today's #sendit mentality and there will no doubt be a much higher wounding loss.
Within their maximum effective ranges a recurve (40 yds) and a flintlock (120 yds) are just as deadly as a high powered rifle at 500 yards. North America was mostly tamed by flintlocks, to say they inherently wound more is ridiculous. Any weapon has a higher probability to wound beyond it's proscribed range. That wham bam .338 mega magnum is gonna wound at 1,500 yards just like the flintlock would at 250 yards.

If the #sendit mentality exists with mega magnums then they are wounding critters just the same as any other weapon system.

There are a lot of valid arguments against flintlocks but them being wounding machines is BS

The main valid argument for the status quo is that folks just really like their high powered rifles and want to use em--that's great but the trade off is your gonna hunt a lot less.

Within their maximum effective ranges a recurve (40 yds) and a flintlock (120 yds) are just as deadly as a high powered rifle at 500 yards. North America was mostly tamed by flintlocks, to say they inherently wound more is ridiculous. Any weapon has a higher probability to wound beyond it's proscribed range. That wham bam .338 mega magnum is gonna wound at 1,500 yards just like the flintlock would at 250 yards.

If the #sendit mentality exists with mega magnums then they are wounding critters just the same as any other weapon system.

There are a lot of valid arguments against flintlocks but them being wounding machines is BS

The main valid argument for the status quo is that folks just really like their high powered rifles and want to use em--that's great but the trade off is your gonna hunt a lot less.
Round balls are terrible I would rather use arrows
You put flints in the hands of today’s hunters you will have a wounding machine lol it already is using jacketed bullets
They already gut shoot every herd of elk that runs by none drop so they leave and there’s a dead elk all around 400 yards later
Guess they would not be able to reload as fast always a silver lining?

Long ranger #sendit shooters wound more than their fair share. You just don't hear about it. They only post the neck shots and gut shot follow ups.

I'll stand by my round ball and recurves wound more critters than bore-drivers and compounds.

You discount the Massive revenue forcing all NR to buy a worthless hunting license and all those bonus points they sell. A HUGE cash cow they would lose. Never going to happen to get rid of that Golden Goose……

True, sucks it's not unique to utah

Long ranger #sendit shooters wound more than their fair share. You just don't hear about it. They only post the neck shots and gut shot follow ups.

I'll stand by my round ball and recurves wound more critters than bore-drivers and compounds.
Your wrong so we will agree to disagree

15213-59cf1b8941d5bcbc35430d858d2bb98a.jpg

15215-39208c43ff019df948c99fab642602a3.jpg

15216-04000e75542da1622d93461e022903b1.jpg

67 yrds, with a LONG BOW deer went 10 yrds and fell over dead

Your wrong so we will agree to disagree
Studies show traditional archery equipment have a high rate, more than 50% of all deer shot with archery equipment are wounded and never recovered. The good news is 73 % of those wounded survive. An interesting study, many studies show similar rates. Going to an all traditional archery elk hunt would certainly drastically decrease the harvest rate but would likely leave some animals to die and not be recovered. http://wp.auburn.edu/deerlab/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/581998-SEAFWA.pdf

Studies show traditional archery equipment have a high rate, more than 50% of all deer shot with archery equipment are wounded and never recovered. The good news is 73 % of those wounded survive. An interesting study, many studies show similar rates. Going to an all traditional archery elk hunt would certainly drastically decrease the harvest rate but would likely leave some animals to die and not be recovered. http://wp.auburn.edu/deerlab/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/581998-SEAFWA.pdf
Especially since i couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve asked someone if they got their deer they say “no, but i hit a good one”.

Especially since i couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve asked someone if they got their deer they say “no, but i hit a good one”.
Ive had guys, tell me the same, thing after shooting them with a, 300 rum, don't blame the weapon for bad shooting

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom