Utah Limited Entry Elk - 17 pts.

wilydawg

I posted this in the Utah forum too but thought I'd throw it on here as well...

So I find myself going into the draw this year with 17 resident elk pts. I have my own ideas of where I might apply but would be interested in other peoples opinions if they were in my shoes. Here's my criteria:

-Any weapon
-Looking for something hopefully in the 350" range - but an overall quality experience with as near to 100% opportunity at a mature bull as possible but maybe a little smaller than that is more important than a lesser chance of opportunity just to gain a few inches of antler size
-Will have somewhat limited time to scout - meaning I could get out some but due to work schedule can't get out on never ending scouting trips
-Open to public, CWMU, or private, and would even be willing to pay (but not big $) to access good private land

With all that said, at this point I'm so invested and basically view the spending of my points as my "once in a lifetime" quality elk hunt in my home state I'm not interested in "squandering" them on a lesser hunt just because it's a sure draw. Point creep notwithstanding, I'd rather try for something of high quality and not draw this year and then try again next year than to do this. I've waited this long, what's another year or two right - ha ha?

Thanks in advance for any input guys! Look forward to any and all responses!

wily

For what you're wanting you'll have to go with one of the top units in Utah and you'll have to go guided since you have little scouting time. The good news is it'll take awhile to draw any of those in the early hunt and you'll have time to save a little cash for the outfitter. You have the right frame of reference of not wanting to waste your points. If you can't afford one, then put in for the Deseret CWMU, but you'll probably have to settle for a bull below 350, maybe 300-340.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-15 AT 08:42AM (MST)[p]Looks like you could get a Book Cliffs Roadless tag with 17 points. Last year was 96% harvest rate for Roadless. If you don't have access to horses (either through family/friends or a guide) then Roadless would be very difficult, but I've seen it done without.

Also, if you put in for the Early Book Cliffs Bitter Creek/South tag, you would be in the pool for Bonus Tags. Looks like 5 guys will likely be putting in with 18 points, leaving about 15 bonus tags for you and your group of about 30 with 17... You could have as high as 50% to draw that tag. Lots of roads, lots of elk, and an easy drive if you do get a weekend to go scout. And I'd say that a 350" is possible, especially if you go guided. Last year it was an 92% harvest rate for the early hunt.

That'd be my recommendation.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Boulder / Muzzloader

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

>Wasatch or manti premium provided you
>live on the Wasatch front
>between nephi and Ogden
>

Why recommend the premium tag if he doesn't have a lot of time???? The whole reason for premium is to take lots of time and find a good one.

I guess he didn't like the answers to his question on the Utah forum. LOL

Good luck, I really mean it.
Zeke

Zeke, I assumed when he said he didn't have a lot of time to scout he meant he didn't have a lot of time to scout. Not that he didn't have time to hunt, if he is able to hunt all of the seasons meaning he can shoot a rifle, bow, and muzz, the this is a tag he can hunt periodically around his busy schedule for almost 4 months. It makes a lot of sense to me, if you have limited time then find a way to get yourself more opportunity of using what you have

https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybayoutfitters

You're right Berrys but I ASSUMED that since he said "any weapon" aka rifle hunt, that he wouldn't want to spend the time during archery season.
Who knows what he can so?
I'm doing a bunch of assuming lately! LOL
Zeke

The premium tag allow you to hunt with a rifle during all the seasons. So I would recommend looking into one of the units you could draw the premium tag.;

Wow, berry you're right. I had yet to read this years guidebook and I must be misremembering from the last time I read it. Good thing I haven't drawn that tag yet. I'd have been in big trouble.

Rangerdye,
Hey man, you could have been a star on MM if you got caught with a rifle during archery season! Lol
Zeke

> Zeke He is
>already a MM Star he
>has 17 points for elk
>and don't know where to
>put in!
> Rutnbuck

Care to expand a little more on your comment?

For the record, maybe you should read before commenting - where did I say I didn't know where to put in? In fact I said I have my own ideas but would appreciate others' input.

I was asking for other peoples opinions - not fishing for smart ass remarks like yours.

Have you nothing better to do than to make sad and ineffective attempts at building yourself up at other's expense?

Really the joke's on you...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom