Utah moose draw with 22 points

Zarn

I have 22 moose points going into this draw (resident). I am struggling on a unit to put in for. I live in Southern Utah and don't know any of them well. Wondering if I should hire a guide if I do draw?

I have 22 moose points going into this draw (resident). I am struggling on a unit to put in for. I live in Southern Utah and don't know any of them well. Wondering if I should hire a guide if I do draw?
As far as I can see East canyon is the only one you would have a remote chance to draw. If all stays the same and no point creepers jump in, you’re looking at a 1 in 7 chance at a bonus tag.

My Dad drew a CWMU moose tag last year (Grass Valley). The operators were great - no problems there, but I would never personally do a CWMU. Your hunting days are assigned to you, and on most CWMU's you can't do any scouting which really detracts from the overall experience in my opinion. I much prefer to be able to call all the shots on my hunts.

22 points keeps you out of the game on most, if not all, of the public land hunts so I certainly understand the appeal of looking at a CWMU. I would just say do your homework if you go the CWMU route.

Did your dad kill a moose in that unit? If so was it a mature bull? Thanks.
Saw one bull on day 4 of his 5 days allowed to hunt and he killed it. I think with some scouting we could have found more moose/bulls but it is what it is and my Dad was happy in the end, which is all that matters.

5811116A-ACB7-4298-8BEA-55492153480F.jpeg

What is your goal for the moose? Just a fun hunt or a nice bull? If you are in good health and have the time to wait for the quality of the hunt you want to keep putting in for your top preference. The reality is a OIL hunt now is the only OIL hunt you will do unless you are young (Lightning strikes twice) or you have the years to put in for another. So go for the quality of hunt and trophy you want. Moose hunt is hard had 2 friends with tags last year and they hunting hard many days for nice bulls but not the quality we were seeing years ago. Good luck- love looking at my Utah Moose mount and the memories of a great hunt.

What is your goal for the moose? Just a fun hunt or a nice bull? If you are in good health and have the time to wait for the quality of the hunt you want to keep putting in for your top preference. The reality is a OIL hunt now is the only OIL hunt you will do unless you are young (Lightning strikes twice) or you have the years to put in for another. So go for the quality of hunt and trophy you want. Moose hunt is hard had 2 friends with tags last year and they hunting hard many days for nice bulls but not the quality we were seeing years ago. Good luck- love looking at my Utah Moose mount and the memories of a great hunt.
It’s not an OIL if there’s a chance to draw twice. If that’s the case it’s TIL ?

Thanks for the replies. I would like to kill a respectable bull when/if I do draw. Not a fan of CMWU restrictions although a Deseret tag would be nice.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom