Utah N.R. App Tip/Reminder

solitude

With the application process opening I believe on Monday, just wanted to remind everyone that since the inception of the required $65 hunting license purchase to apply for tags, that your license is good for 365 days/one year. So in other words, if you applied for a tag last year on 2/20/09, your license is still good to apply for a tag/tags for this year until midnight on 2/19/10, saving yourself the $65 license fee. So if you play it right, at this point you can apply two years for the price of one. I spoke with the G+F to confirm and they said that is correct. They can give you your license # and date applied from last year if you are not certain, then just apply before that date for this year. You will then only have to pay the $5 or $10 per species to apply as usual.

Thanks much for that tip. My units are selected so I am ready to go with app and intend to take advantage of the deal.

Are you sure you would not need to have the license at the time of the drawing also and not just at the time of application. I just don't want to mess up.

I guess what I was getting at was if you applied on the 19th of Feb.with a valid licence and it expired on the 25th then you would not have a valid license at the time of the actual drawing at the end of April. The way I read it is you just need to have a license at the time of the application, like your post suggests.Then if you drew the tag you would just buy the new license before you started hunting.

Hey woods, I looked in to this last year and also called. They told me as long as I have a valid license at the time I applied, I was eligible to draw the tag I put in for. If I remember what they told me, you would not have to buy a new license if you draw the tag. The exact wording in the proclamation confirms what they said.

>Hey woods, I looked in to
>this last year and also
>called. They told me as
>long as I have a
>valid license at the time
>I applied, I was eligible
>to draw the tag I
>put in for. If I
>remember what they told me,
>you would not have to
>buy a new license if
>you draw the tag. The
>exact wording in the proclamation
>confirms what they said.

+2 I did it the last two years. Last year it cost me $20 total to apply for deer and elk.

I will have to buy the license this year to apply, but won't next year. Therefore, I have to wait this year until later in the month to apply, so it will still be valid in early Feb next year.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Great tip solitude!!!

Looks like you saved me $130 for two N.R. licenses.

I need to buy you beer.

Your handle in reference to the area up Big Cottonwood Canyon? Got to ski all four area a few years back and I really like the 'Tude. More like the little area I ski here in Alaska.

So what happens if you dont get drawn? Will you still get a point with your old license? Or will you have to buy a new license anyways to get the point?

This year, I will buy a license and apply for a hunt. But I do it in late Feb. Assuming I don't get a lic, I get another preference point.

Next year, in early Feb, I apply for the drawing without having to buy the $65 license. AS LONG AS LAST YEAR'S LICENSE IS VALID WHEN YOU APPLY YOU ARE GOOD TO GO. So, next year it cost me only $10 per species and I will be in the drawing for a license. Again assuming I don't get drawn, I will still get a preference point. THAT IS TRUE EVEN THOUGH THIS YEAR'S LICENSE HAS EXPIRED BY THE TIME THE DRAWING IS HELD. IT JUST HAS TO BE VALID TO APPLY, NOT TO DRAW.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

BigBuckKiller - yes, as the other guys have said, you will still get a point. At least I always have.

MuskegMan - No, not in reference to the resort. It is instead referring to my love of being alone in very lonely places, which you know well in Alaska. A great place.

Ya, I ran into this when I started my apps and the system did'nt ask me to buy a license???...I called to verify.

I just went to my gun safe where I keep my licenses and my Utah license is good from 2/4/09 to 2/3/10 11:59 pm! I guess I checked just in time. I will be putting in my app tonight online! Thanks for the tip! Saving me some $$...

Steve

Ok, so if you draw, do you then need to buy a license? That is the part that confuses me.

The language makes it sound like no. Then would you be hunting without a license? If the tag stands as both your hunting license and tag, what good is the seperate license? Is it onlynecessary to appy and not to hunt? Why wouldn't the DWR just make the license good for 2 years if that is the way people are using them?

>Ok, so if you draw, do
>you then need to buy
>a license? That is
>the part that confuses me.
>
>
>The language makes it sound like
>no. Then would you
>be hunting without a license?
> If the tag stands
>as both your hunting license
>and tag, what good is
>the seperate license? Is
>it onlynecessary to appy and
>not to hunt?

Nate,
From what I was told by DNR yesterday if your license expires after you apply and you draw a tag, all you need to hunt is your tag. Please call them to check my facts.

I don't think that sounds logical....but it is Utah! I would think you'd need to hold a current license if you draw a tag?

Steve

My sons and I did it last year using our 08 license. We will need to buy licenses this year so we plan to wait until the later part of the application period so we can use them again early next year before they expire.

If it were valid for 2 whole years, then you could apply for 3 years on one license. I like the way they do it, but I expect it change sometime soon.

Solitude, You are the man!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!! Tomorrow I'm diggin out our licenses from last year. I know I'm good cause I always put it off anyways.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>>I don't think that sounds logical....but it is Utah! I would think you'd need to hold a current license if you draw a tag?
Steve <<<<

when u apply it will show you license status already owned if yours is still valid, mine from last year was still valid ,,,, i just applied

>Would this apply to getting validated
>at the expo also?

Yes, as long as it is within the 365 days of your license being valid. Your license only makes you eligible to apply for a tag. If you draw a tag it becomes your valid license and tag to hunt your particular species.

You guys made me go and check!
What the he%% was I doing last year????
I apparently bought my license to apply in late Jan last year so I'm already expired for this year! x(
I've donated $65 for two years in a row and going for three now!
Oh well, LOL. Pay to play

Me too, what an idiot. I bought my license early last year (Jan 24th) so I could be ready to apply (and NOT get drawn) and get to pay the license fee again this year. My license was expired before the application even opened.

Garth Carter missed this one, too.

The Christian

Thanks for posting this as I was about to apply last nite and forgot exactly how this worked. I'll be applying as late as possible this year since I didn't have to pay the fee last year. A buddy paid the fee 2 years in a row because he wasn't aware of this but he is now in tune! Thanks for saving me a few dollars!!!

It may be obvious to everyone else but...I applied in time and was able to use my 2010 licence. As stated the system recognizes that you still have a valid licence non-expired license. All was good until this week, I decided to hold off trying to win a UT elk tag and decided to go to points only. As you know you can change your tag choices before the draw closes. This involves withdrawing your application and then REAPPLYING. DOH!!!!!! When I reapplied, my licence had expired and I had to buy another one to get back into the draw even for point only.

Sooooo, make up your dang mind before you apply or at least before your licene expires.

Now, I just hope I draw my other mystery permit to justify the added expense. The good news is that my licence is dated pretty late so I should be good to go in 2012!

Live and learn

Bill in MI

Bill in MI,

Good point. I was planning to withdraw an application to change to a different hunt code and didn't realize that I now have to buy a new license. I think I am going to just let my original application ride.

I will have to buy a new license to apply for anterless moose in a few months anyways. I guess this loophole isn't saving me money--just deferring the expense.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom