Utah Newfoundland Bighorn Sheep

elkhunterUT

Very Active Member
Anyone have a Newfoundland bighorn sheep tag this year, or know someone that hunted it this year (2021)? I should draw the tag next year and leaning towards going for it. Would love to talk to any recent tagholders out there.

Send me a PM if you prefer.

Thanks!

I drove by it a couple times last week. Does that count? ….albeit 15-20 miles to the south.

I saw a couple pics of nice rams that came off that mountain this year but don’t remember where I saw them??‍♂️

Good luck in the drawing man!!!!!

Zeke

I drove by it a couple times last week. Does that count? ….albeit 15-20 miles to the south.

I saw a couple pics of nice rams that came off that mountain this year but don’t remember where I saw them??‍♂️

Good luck in the drawing man!!!!!

Zeke
Ha ha - driving by counts at that distance only if your optics are good enough :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I should be a lock for a tag this next year if things hold, but you never know. Would love to see any rams off the unit and/or talk to any hunters that hit it this past fall.

A buddy has actually been there but I don’t think he was this year.
I’ll pm you and you can chat with him.

Yes, optics are great but not at 83.7 mph and 15 miles away.

Thanks mtnrunner260! I sent you a message back. I have definitely heard the road out there is a tire eater!!

I saw 2 social media rams off the Newfys this year that were good for that unit but I know at least one (and maybe both) of them were guided. I've been out three times in the last two years to help with water projects. As has been mentioned, the herd has done well, but the rams are small and I don't think they are getting any bigger. If you go, I'd make it an adventure and spend some time looking at the whole mountain.
Most hunters shoot young lamb tipped rams but to me the trophy rams on that unit are old and broomed (which also means they are very short. I saw a couple like that a year ago that I'd take, if it were my tag.
Best of luck whatever you do.

I saw 2 social media rams off the Newfys this year that were good for that unit but I know at least one (and maybe both) of them were guided. I've been out three times in the last two years to help with water projects. As has been mentioned, the herd has done well, but the rams are small and I don't think they are getting any bigger. If you go, I'd make it an adventure and spend some time looking at the whole mountain.
Most hunters shoot young lamb tipped rams but to me the trophy rams on that unit are old and broomed (which also means they are very short. I saw a couple like that a year ago that I'd take, if it were my tag.
Best of luck whatever you do.
Thanks for the response littlebighorn-I sent you a PM.

Have ya tossed around the Oakies for your Ram?

True, they are the Cali sup species, but the bow Ram tag might just be the ticket for ya?

Robb

Have ya tossed around the Oakies for your Ram?

True, they are the Cali sup species, but the bow Ram tag might just be the ticket for ya?

Robb
Thanks Robb-the Oak Creek unit is definitely on my radar. I have scouted it and talked to the biologist several times. In 2020 they offered a bunch more tags for fear that rams would move in with domestic sheep and infect the larger herd so more of the mature older rams were killed. In my scouting I saw rams but mostly younger rams. I think the Newfies have more sheep overall and some more mature rams so I am leaning that way.

I think I seen someone posted that a new record for the unit ram was killed this year.
Yes Brad, Please share.
My latest Utah Big Game Records book list the Utah State record Cali as being killed by Dave Myrup on the Newfy's scoring 172".
I remember that because we were with MM's ridgetops back in 2010 when he killed a 170" ram on the Stansbury unit and I originally thought his ram would be the new State record Cali ram.
I'm pretty sure both of those rams grew up mostly on Antelope Island and were transplanted to those new units and killed after they were moved.
IMO the Newfy rams are the "dinks of the dinks" of Rocky Bighorns. That makes me seriously question that the unit suddenly produced a giant Cali bigger than the two I just mentioned...but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I will try and find what I had seen. I believe on Instagram. I could be wrong so don’t quote me but I thought it was mentioned that it was a new record for that unit. Not a state record.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom