Utah North Slope, Summit Moose

SanJuan

My dad drew the bull tag for the North Slope, Summit. Anyone care to share stories from previous hunts, pics, coordinates and/or honey holes?

Spent the weekend in the head of a drainage up there. Beautiful country but didn't see any moose.
You guys got horses or packing out on your backs?

Spent the weekend in the head of a drainage up there. Beautiful country but didn't see any moose.
You guys got horses or packing out on your backs?
We may have some horse help, but we don't have our own anymore. Dad gets around pretty good for a 76 year old but even getting him into the wilderness will require animals. I'm pretty fit though so I can definitely make it up there to scout. I'll pack one out on my back but I'm aware of the distance limitations that this will create.

Last edited:
We may have some horse help, but we don't have our own anymore. Dad gets around pretty good for a 76 year old but even getting him into the wilderness will require animals. I'm pretty fit though so I can definitely make it up there to scout. I'll pack one out on my back but I'm aware of the distance limitations that this will create.
I bet you could find some horse hire in mtn view or Lyman. But either way it's going to be a great hunt.
Looking forward to seeing pics!

IMG_1574.jpeg

IMG_1586.jpeg

IMG_1593.jpeg

IMG_1643.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg

IMG_1690.jpeg

Set up camp in the wilderness for a few days and were covered up with moose for the most part. Thanks to those that helped!

Attachments

• 0096FF91-5A68-4525-9115-81DB2EB1A831-20327-000015E52DBD42F3.mov
    47.4 MB
Congratulations on a great adventure!! One of these days I would like to do a horseback pack in camp/hunt.

Congratulations on a great adventure!! One of these days I would like to do a horseback pack in camp/hunt.
This was something I was mildly interested in prior to this experience. Now having done it I am ready to run out and buy some mules! I think every serious hunter should do it at least once in their life.

That's a fine bull for sure. The North Slope roads don't get you into the good stuff so the ponies were no doubt a life saver.
I've backpacked it but not for a moose!
Well done.

Congrats. Very well done. Thanks for sharing. Hope to share some success photos from just across the border in Wyoming between now and 11/20/22.

Hey looks like you guys found a good one. Congrats, sorry bout before I just saw north Slope and figured it to be the area I was familiar with. My bad, GREAT bull

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom