Utah NR Rocky Bighorn

ElmerFudd

Very Active Member
I see Utah is having tags this year for nonresident Rocky Mountain Bighorn, for the first time. I also see that 1 person has 2 points, and 19 have 1 point. Now, I feel that this is a crock, allowing applicants to get points before even having tags available for a hunt. If you start out now, there are 20 ahead of you in the points game, especially important if two or more tags are allowed in a unit sometime in the future.

I wonder if Utah G&F allowed appicants to "apply" for points, knowing they would have tags for non-residents in the future? But it doesn't seem logical, but we are dealing with the government.

Scott G.

My bud followed his company to Calf. 2 years ago and had been applying for Rocky Mnt. Ram for 4 years before he moved. He has done Goat the last 2 years as a non-res.. I'll give you one guess who is praying for 2 tags on Rattlesnake/Bighorn mnt.!! He has the 4 points but will be in the first ever non-res. Ram draw pool.

I can find nothing that says you cannot apply for a species with out a tag offered?? Heck, $5.00 for a point.....

Yes, I read it over, they state that you can not get a point if you are inelligible for holding a license, but nothing is stated about no tags available for a hunt. It is a bit deceptive, I just wish I would have thought of it first. A buddy of mine just got Garth Carter's report, and Garth states that new applicants this year will be in on the ground floor....Not. Well, I think it will be a while before two permits are offered, as I think around 20 total are required and ten were offered last year, but your buddy is looking good if they do. I bet there are a few others with points who have or have to move.

I tried to apply for a rocky mtn point last year and got
rejected. I even called the application help line and was
told by 2 different people that I COULD get a point as on
non-resident.

There are over 100 gus with one point according to their website last week.

I have been kicking myself for not applying for the rocky mnt. sheep pnt. last year, you go rejected? Makes me feel a little better, that really sucks because most likely in a few years there will be 2 or more tags. If you had one point now I am betting you could draw a tag for sure in a decade - great odds for a rocky tag. I am applying for it.

Yes, I looked again, the 19 and 1 were just people who applied last year, there are potentially 134 people ahead of you for the top bonus points. I would not bet on the decade with one point, you really would have wanted to start two or more years ago. The lady in the DNR said that points were awarded to nonresidents applying for rocky sheep last year. We really are three years late.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom