Utah Spring Bear What should I do?

southslope82

So after nearly 15 years of applying, I finally have a good Utah spring bear tag in my pocket, due to the covid19 crap its really thrown a wrench in my decision to keep the tag or not, especially considering Utahs new regs on the issue of not being able to accumulate a point for the year you surrender you tag, I spoke with several officials that say the county is not allowing camping designated or undesignated on any forest , blm, and even private, for 30 days then they will re evaluate. How much is official and how much is scare tactic I don't know. Different folks have different wording on issues,, I really do not want to turn the tag back in for many reasons. Personally I think the DWR needs to make an exception to the rule in circumstances like this or other natural disasters.
Has anyone had a similar issue?
What happened with the Nebo elk tag holders awhile back when the Unit was on fire and pretty much closed off?
What about the Buffalo hunters in the Book Cliff Wild horse bench area, When the buffalo were pushed off by choppers? Should there be compensation of some form?

Believe me I have. There is not an official answer they have to meet with and involve the board which will not happen until they are allowed to meet in groups larger than ten people, not to mention meet in a building that is deemed safe after inspection after the earthquake... its madness.. There is only 7 days to figure all this out too before the hunt starts too..

The BLM has waived all fees to use their land. I have a tough time thinking that doesn’t include ability to camp. I suggest you call the DWR and the federal land agency for the area you have a tag for. I have a multi season bear tag and I will be hunting hard. Being away from people on the mountain is as safe as you can get. Unless a bear eats ya

I think it would be unfair to say the least if they are not at least willing to let me keep my points acquire a point for this year and reimburse the permit fee.. I am not sure what the right answer is but there needs to be some discussion on this issue, maybe consider extending/overlapping the season, Guaranteeing 100% tag for next year outside of the regular draw, something.

Grand County is where I am talking about, as of right now the South Eastern Utah Health Department has official made it that camping, in grand, emery, carbon counties is prohibited anywhere within the county private public doesn't matter. Its a Class B misdemeanor and a 125 $ fine if you are cited. This will be in effect for 30 days, So basically half of the spring Bear Season

Got off the phone with the division another realistic issue is that they are playing everything on a day by day basis and they contemplate that the governor will just ask that nobody come into the office and those that can just work from home. The data base needed to surrender a tag can not be accessed from home so Hell who knows I might not even have anybody to surrender the tag to.. I will definitely be getting in touch with my rac member and hope something comes of this.. sad to think that I could have not even applied this year and been better off, same amount of points and not out the cost of the tag or application fees which are nor reimbursable … What a mess

Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana you don’t need to draw. You can hunt bears next year and maybe find a bigger one than Utah.

All this was coming from the South Eastern Utah Department it includes grand,carbon and Emery county. I guess they override the other agency's I dont know.. I guess as the people poor into moab they are just finding this out and going south to San Juan county and setting up camp.. rumor is san juan county will be forced to take similar action.

I Would Make a couple of Signs out of 4'X8' Sheets of Wafer Board!

With Fluorescent Paint I'd Paint "QUARANTINED FOR CORONA VIRUS"

Stand One Just as You Get Within Sight of Your Camp Trailer & One Right at your Camp Trailer!:D:D:D

Maybe Add: "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK' :D:D:D

Yes I'm a resident.. As of now I'm just gonna keep the tag and give it my best shot, however it's not an easy choice. I wish it was a permit I could just say "oh its okay maybe next year if things dont work out, that's simply not the case.. maybe it will turn out to be an awesome hunt because everyone else turned their tags back.

Hell just have 10 people with you and they won't be able to stop and talk to ya lol there will be plenty of hunters and campers on that unit they will be busy writing tickets if they are going to

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom