Utah to Change App Timeline in 2023

elkhunterUT

Very Active Member
I just read in the new Utah application guidebook that they will be changing the application timeline in 2023 to allow applicants to know permit quotas for all hunts prior to submitting their applications. This is a GREAT change and something we have all been asking for over the years - kudos to the DWR for finally doing it!!

Details below:

Changes to the big game application timeline in 2023
In response to public feedback, the DWR is planning to change the big game application timeline for 2023. The new timeline will address hunters’ concerns about applying for hunts without knowing exact permit quotas, and hunters will be able to evaluate the proposed big game permit quotas before the application period closes.

The timing and dates will look like this:
•The application period will open for hunts, bonus points or preference points March 23-April 27.
•Big game drawing results will be posted on May 31.
•Points-only applications for big game will open later (during the antlerless application period in June).

Impacts of this change:
•This will allow four weeks from the time the application closes to the drawing post date.
•Hunters will have access to the proposed permit quota during the application period. •Hunters will be able to edit their applications during the entire application period.

These changes will apply to the 2023 application period and will be fully outlined in the 2023 Utah Big Game Application Guidebook.

I was shocked when I lived in TX. They had their draw results posted in a couple days. I know they can go quicker if they wanted. I wish more states would speed up their draw results.

It’s like seeing a hot girl in the bar and asking for her number. I would prefer a quick “no” rather than ask me against closing.

NR have been able to get two applications done with only buying one license. Half the NR wont be able to do that next year. So far as I can tell it would still work after that. This is a loop hole I am surprised they have not fixed

Well most of the LE elk hunts only have 1 tag correct so as long as it show the unit you just draw. It would be better for R than NR correct?

Well most of the LE elk hunts only have 1 tag correct so as long as it show the unit you just draw. It would be better for R than NR correct?
Actually it helps the NR way more, now you will know which units will have an extra tag to do the 50/50 split. Almost all resident licenses already have more then 1 tag.

Yes, I think they realize they need to listen to the public. They realize we may know a thing or two. Nice job DWR. They have done a great job of representing the sportsman's voice these last handful of months.
They’ve known for years that they need to listen to the public. Problem is, listening to the public doesn’t always favor their wallets.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom