Utah Trail Cam Ban

Hey Niller?

You Show them the rest of "HELL-RIGHT"?

I didn’t show them anything, I just saw the proposed legislation and am passing it along. I think you might be underestimating how much of an impact this is going to have on hunting success if this law is enforced. (Big “if” - I know)

This would be significant. For better or for worse probably depends on exactly how many trail cameras you run and if they send the photos to your phone so you never even have to leave the house.

Yeah bessy, this won’t solve all the issues. But this one will have a large impact on hunting success. Less animals killed...isn’t that what you want?

The guys in the silver trucks would have to get outa them to enforce.....it would only affect those who abide by the law.

Called my rep to push for support.

Before the rest of the ""but what about....." starts, you have to start somewhere.

And everyone of us knows, whether we admit it or not, cams are a problem. Baiting has become a problem. Maybe your 3 apples and 1 cam arent. But the thousands the corporate guys have out, and the kenworths full of apples are.

What this will do is affect the average Joe hunter. Big name outfitters will just hire more flat-brimmers hoping for a spot in the Insta-hero hunter photo to function as spotters throughout the year up to the hunter touching one off...
Then make them hire more people.

So everybody knows, you can still run cameras before August 1 each year, then they have to be removed.

Imagine a giant plague has hit America. Not one of these wamby pamby "Rona" deals, but a real one. They are burning millions of corpses weekly type plague. Dr. Fauci and ol' Joe get on the TV to address the nation. They are going to make an executive order that makes all of the Kleenex manufacturers increase the square size of Kleenex to 10 X 10 inches. We are saved.

Welcome to your states wildlife management agenda.

Banning One F'N Item/Problem will Fix Nothing!
It’s a start to your massive list of complaints/ideas on how Utah sucks and should be ran. I know outfitters that run several hundred cameras and have the elk patterned to a T. They know what day they’ll be passing through and sit and wait. I think it would be great to not see 5 cameras on one watering hole. I think success rates would also go down. Some of the bigger bulls and bucks would maybe live a couple years longer and get their genes out in the population more. I think it’s a win even though I love to through out a few cameras with the kids.

I think this is a great bill and I run a TON of cameras. (Regular and some cell) I am ? aware of how trail cameras have increased the success I’ve had in the field. And I spend a lot of time in the field grinding it out. I started running a few cell cams two years ago and it completely changed the game. I could set them in an area that I didn’t want to hike to again for a long time and still have a very good idea of all the deer in that area. so it allowed me to spend time elsewhere. More efficient usually means more successful.
I’m just an average joe hunter and I’m aware of this. Think of how this will affect the success rate of the big time outfitters who run hundreds of cameras during the hunts. Lower success rate=more deer alive. I believe most people want to hunt higher quality type bucks. I think this will be helpful in accomplishing this.

I’d also ban infrared binos in the field which is becoming massively popular.
Go back to single power or a 3x9 scope for muzzleloaders.
Just two more things I’d like to see.
This bill doesn’t fix everything, but I think it’s a good step in the right direction and rewards those who spend more time in the field.

I 100% support this. Only problem I see with this is the enforcement aspect of it. I think most guys with cameras leave them out for the season or year for that matter and who’s to say they still aren’t “patterning” that big buck or big bull even though they aren’t supposed to after August 1st. I guess it’s a “on your honor” system but it’s become so competitive that I think some will cheat the system. Hope it passes.

I have been accused of having a reading comprehension problem and this may be one of those cases.
This bill seems to be more aimed at banning trail camera use for the hunting of water fowl. I don’t see any specific mention of banning trail cameras for big game hunting. I do see the mention of banning baiting for big game hunting but not specifically banning trail cameras for big game?
Please help!

I’ve been using a few cameras for a couple years now. They are fun but I don’t need to use them. I only hang them from early June until mid August.
I would support a ban on cameras and baiting.

I have been accused of having a reading comprehension problem and this may be one of those cases.
This bill seems to be more aimed at banning trail camera use for the hunting of water fowl. I don’t see any specific mention of banning trail cameras for big game hunting. I do see the mention of banning baiting for big game hunting but not specifically banning trail cameras for big game?
Please help!
It bans baiting of big game, trail cameras on public land after August 1st (so they could do be used for preseason scouting), and constructing new permanent structures on Waterfowl Management Areas.

Since salt is what most of the guys are “baiting” with, and it not being defined as bait, this law is useless unless you’re into dumping apples on the ground and having people pay you to sit within bow range of this apple pile.

as far as not being able to shoot wildlife traveling to said bait pile, that’s gonna be a hard one to stick a guy with. Especially if there’s no evidence of that hunter ever supplying bait to the location.

the trail cam ban is stupid. And I say that for selfish reasons, however the intel I get from a trail cam doesn’t really benefit me anymore for elk. I’ve had cams on these sites long enough to know that the cows and calves move in around the first of august and the bulls leave when they strip their velvet. The deer info I receive generally is valid throughout the hunting season. If I get pics of big bucks in late July consistently, odds are they will stay in that area until feed disappears, snow or unusually high hunting pressure pushes them out. Killed several bucks I have pictures of in June, within .25 miles of that cam location in September-October.

the waterfowl issues is stupid as well. There’s a particular outfitter who hunts a WMA that is specifically named the bill that I feel is being targeting for some reason.

these laws will only hurt the honest guys. Apple piles will still be around. Cams will still be up all year clicking and back alley deal swan hunts will still be taking place on WMAs

Once Again Niller!

Everybody is gonna Harp on One Problem & One Problem Only!

RE-READ "HELL-F'N-RIGHT"!

And No it Won't be the Guys in the Silver Trucks Enforcing the ban on Trail-Cams!

I've already had the Talk with them & They'll Be Relying on TARDS in the Field To Enforce it!

So Do Tell Me?

Say You/They Get the Ban on Trail Cams passed!

Do You F'N Realize How Many More Drones this will put in the Field?

Here's another F'N Thing You Guys Never Think about!

The New Mini-Trail Cams Ain't 4"-5" Wide!

They Ain't 6"-8" Tall!

And They Ain't 3"-4" deep from Front to Back!

99%+ of them Will Go UN-F'N-NOTICED!

When You Get a FULL PLAN Worked up Let me know!

Until Then Keep Working on one PISSCUTTER Issue every 5 Years & See How that goes for You!

And I QUOTE:

Yeah bessy, this won’t solve all the issues. But this one will have a large impact on hunting success. Less animals killed...isn’t that what you want?

I'd Like to see LE Bull Elk Quality Like We had it from about 2005 thru 2010 once again!

The LE Elk Units have had the Piss Knocked out of them for Several Years Now! (Any-F'N-body else Notice?)

49 Years & Counting Niller on PISS POOR DEER MANAGEMENT!

Ya!

Fix that in one F'N Year!

Just Hand HELL-F'N-RIGHT in to them or Quit F'N Around all together!

I didn’t show them anything, I just saw the proposed legislation and am passing it along. I think you might be underestimating how much of an impact this is going to have on hunting success if this law is enforced. (Big “if” - I know)

This would be significant. For better or for worse probably depends on exactly how many trail cameras you run and if they send the photos to your phone so you never even have to leave the house.

It’s a start to your massive list of complaints/ideas on how Utah sucks and should be ran. I know outfitters that run several hundred cameras and have the elk patterned to a T. They know what day they’ll be passing through and sit and wait. I think it would be great to not see 5 cameras on one watering hole. I think success rates would also go down. Some of the bigger bulls and bucks would maybe live a couple years longer and get their genes out in the population more. I think it’s a win even though I love to through out a few cameras with the kids.
I know someone who "fixed" quite a few last year.

It bans baiting of big game, trail cameras on public land after August 1st (so they could do be used for preseason scouting), and constructing new permanent structures on Waterfowl Management Areas.
Any idea when this ban could go into effect?

You guys crack me up. Trail cams are not being banned or even being proposed to being banned. The title of this thread is very misleading. There are just a few restrictions being proposed for trail cam users in which is fine with me.

If anyone on here cares about lowering success then everyone would be backing the ban of range finders. Long range guns kill more animals than trail cameras do. Get rid of trail cams then range finders are next.

You guys crack me up. Trail cams are not being banned or even being proposed to being banned. The title of this thread is very misleading. There are just a few restrictions being proposed for trail cam users in which is fine with me.

That’s fair. “Utah Trail Cam Restrictions” would be more accurate.

Bessy, this isn’t my plan. I’m passing along info, that’s all.

I'm all for it the trail cam band that is, but I think there will be one or two conservation groups and more than a few big money Utah outfitters that will fight to get it canned

Ban bait, ban trail cams, but don't touch my rangefinder, scope, or long range rifle.....pretty typical of the majority of this crowd. Keep crying and you'll all eventually get what you've voted for NO HUNTING.

Ban bait, ban trail cams, but don't touch my rangefinder, scope, or long range rifle.....pretty typical of the majority of this crowd. Keep crying and you'll all eventually get what you've voted for NO HUNTING.

Disagree. As we make tech advancements, there are bridges we shouldn’t cross. Like drone scouting/hunting (or hunting from a helicopter). Losing trail cams during the hunting seasons has nothing to do with giving up hunting rights or opportunity. In fact, it potentially increases opportunity.

A buddy of mine is a big time shed hunter. He told me the following:

Now that certain states do not let you pick up a shed until a certain date, people are going out into winter ranges, finding the sheds and sticking trail cams on the shed and roads leading into area to “catch anyone being dishonest.”

The problem I see with this stupid idea is the trail cam user is just as much to blame for winter kill as the one who is tempted to pick up the shed!

Walking around on winter range, gpsing sheds all day is garbage and should be treated the same as one who is caught with a shed on closed shed hunting areas!

But how do you police that argument? You don’t! As with any restrictions, there are always ways to sneak around them!

The majority of people’s initial reaction to a new law is, “Well, the law said this, but it never said anything about doing this.”

Banning trail cams should be statewide, year round. Not just during hunting season.

This house is a mess. I am banning deodorant.

If I was the DWR right now nothing would make me happier than watching everyone bat trailcams back and forth in an argument. Your deer herds are in a decline set forth by decades of mismanagement while everyone bickered about "opportunity". The reality is this is just another argument in the battle over who gets to kill the last deer and the DWR gets the free pass.

AT SOME POINT SUPPLY MUST ENTER THE DISCUSSION OF OPPORTUNITY INSTEAD OF JUST DEER TAGS AND HARVEST RESTRICTIONS.

The state could give out 2 million deer tags, that you can only use if you are facing east, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., using only .30 caliber magnum bolt rifles, and no binoculars, while wearing a helmet with flashing light on it, at least 6 miles from any paved road, and if there are only 5 deer in the entire state do you still consider it "opportunity"??????

Can someone tell me how an agency just makes up more and more ways to tell hunters "no" opportunity is increased? Sounds to me like the more you get told "no" the less opportunity there is.

WAKE UP FOLKS. Opportunity is a distraction that you buy hook line and sinker. It isn't wildlife management. Its nothing more than CYA for a government agency.

Your ripping on the same department that let your outfitter buddy get away with shooting a ram in the wrong unit. Your either for or against them when it's convenient.

I'm not ripping on anyone. I'm telling you how it is. Right now how it is, is like those videos of cats following laser pens on the wall.

Who says its the DWR's plan Vanilla?

Who says its the DWR's plan Vanilla?

That’s your implication by bringing the DWR into it, saying nothing would make them happier than this and the rest of the bologna you posted.

This isn’t a DWR recommendation to the wildlife board. It’s not a biologist recommendation for big game management purposes. It’s a state legislator that’s hearing from enough constituents about a perceived problem that he’s doing what legislators due: propose legislation. That’s actually their jobs. It’s quite simple, actually, no matter how convoluted you try and make it.

Anytime tri posts a big long post talking in circles it would be wise for everyone to question why. His MO is pretty well established at this point.

That’s your implication by bringing the DWR into it, saying nothing would make them happier than this and the rest of the bologna you posted.

This isn’t a DWR recommendation to the wildlife board. It’s not a biologist recommendation for big game management purposes. It’s a state legislator that’s hearing from enough constituents about a perceived problem that he’s doing what legislators due: propose legislation. That’s actually their jobs. It’s quite simple, actually, no matter how convoluted you try and make it.

Anytime tri posts a big long post talking in circles it would be wise for everyone to question why. His MO is pretty well established at this point.
Actually Vanilla if you had been keeping up and if you had read my entire post, and if you had paid attention to the all caps sentence you might have realized I am responding to a few posters who want to introduce the word "opportunity" into this discussion. I didn't comment on the bill introduction.

I am talking about stupid labels people put on things that keep them from solving their problems and the groups that benefit from it. The word "opportunity" has been abused so much amongst hunters it has become equal to the word "deserve" for teenagers, and "fair" for attorneys. A useless distraction spilled out in a discussion to instigate nothing getting done. I always thought lawyers were good at reading. Good thing there are gubmint jobs for some lawyers.

More people should try using the "ignore" feature on this site. There are some people who are always "right", regardless of the facts. When I run across someone what fits that profile, not in just one post, but in the long run, I use the ignore button and am much happier for it. When it gets to that point with certain posters, ignorance is bliss.

I am not a fan of trail cameras, but I'm even less fond of government overreach. Like others have said, first it's trail cameras, then its range finders, then magnified scopes, then compound bows..... When they take away a right, they almost never give it back.

I am not a fan of trail cameras, but I'm even less fond of government overreach. Like others have said, first it's trail cameras, then its range finders, then magnified scopes, then compound bows..... When they take away a right, they almost never give it back.
Exactly. As soon as you let a politically appointed board start dictating what is fair chase and what is not, based on their opinion or the opinion of the broader public, you are screwed. Long range (their definition, not yours), technology, accessibility, fair vs unfair are no longer personal choices. They will be restricted by laws.

This all came about by a majority of rifle hunters whining how there are no big deer left on the rifle hunts, their thought was they were all being killed by archery guys. This has nothing to do with conservation or improving overall deer herds. This has everything to do with inches and money. I'm fine with it, but this doesn't impact a rifle guy. Very few average Joe rifle hunters go to the effort and time to effectively bait or use a trail cam......or get out of their truck for that matter.

Why not start with the most advanced technology first? Turrets, apps, rangefinders? Baiting, and trail cams have the least impact on mortality rates. Yes it is useful in targeting a specific animal, but a high powered sniper rifle and scope kills more deer than an apple or trail cam ever will.

Last edited:
banning trail cams will make a big difference. It will give trophy animals a chance to make it through another year. Flat Brimmers will never kill another monster buck again if this goes through.

Using trail cameras isn't hunting, it's dry-gulching.

why would that matter? They aren't using them for hunting.
Sure they are hunting hunters ! ? Well mine are up just for watch game. Not for hunting. Plus people will still use them on Private property . Then how will they enforce this ?

Sure they are hunting hunters ! ? Well mine are up just for watch game. Not for hunting. Plus people will still use them on Private property . Then how will they enforce this ?
They will be enforced with those 1,500 yard long range rifles. :ROFLMAO: I don't think that second cam that is watching the first cam is going to see who is enforcing it:ROFLMAO:

I’m curious how many people have commented on this with an opinion that haven’t even hit the link and read the proposed bill? It’s clear there are some.

There are pros and cons to this. I think this is much less about rifle hunters being upset at archers and much more about targeting large outfits that run hundreds of cameras to try and control and entire unit.

I agree. Making a dollar off a dead animal seems to be the latest craze.
(Make money doing what you enjoy right?!)

The problem is too many clowns have committed to this fantasy lifestyle and the herds are suffering as a result.
(Not to mention the average Joe who just wants to hunt for an opportunity at a nice representation of the species is suffering as well).

Ban it all. Go back to the way it was before long range, turret twisting cannons were a thing and when you could leave it up to your imagination as to what is out there instead of naming every critter seen on a trail cam and then taking your pick after trail cams have helped you identify patterns.

The bill allows use of trail cams on private land. Law only applies to public land.

Hey Togpotee!

I Hear KING RANCH's are the Next thing they wanna Ban!

Oh and CROWN!

Sounds like a good law.

We're after wildlife not ISIS so give the game a break . quads, trail cams, 1200 yard rifles . our technology is advancing and the game's habitat is shrinking. gee who can see any problems with that.

It depends whose name is on them, the radical environmentalist started putting Government names on them.You all can think they are a great deal until the other side starts using them against you and your hunting. Believe me you want them banned before those Wolves start dropping in from Colorado. Don’t worry about the Wolves dropping in from Idaho we stop most of them before they cross the boarder. I haul all the plastic crap out of the forest and never even look at SD cards. You want to use that crap put it on your own property.

I've seen a few with DWR Tags on them!

I Often wondered if they were Somebody elses Cams Thinking if they Tagged them like that they'd be tampered with less?

Anybody ever had the Guy that Holds a Note on a Paper up in front of your Cams with a Message on it?

He Holds it too Close to the Cam & You can't Read it!

Just curious to what the Message Says?:D

I have found a camera watching a trail with 2 more cameras watching the first camera. I love being out in the woods away from phones and technology. I love the the birds, the wildlife, the streams maybe Evan bumping into another friendly sportsman. It pisses me off to come around a corner and see a plastic box hanging from a tree. TRASH IN THE FOREST. My father taught me when I was a little boy to leave the woods cleaner than I found them. I pack out a lot of trash

This past year in Wyoming I noticed a trail cam locked 10 feet in a tree monitoring the pack trail. Why is someone monitoring who is going in on a trail? I would imagine there are cams on a lot of trails out there.
It’s a little weird knowing people are monitoring us when we’re out hunting and scouting. That’ll only get worse.

Probably wanting to see how much traffic an area is getting or see how much success people are having in an area. Or they’ve been robbed up there a time or two and...???

lots of reasons I guess. Some places you can’t even piss in the woods without a camera staring you down.

I walked into a spot that I elk hunt. Seen a rub on a tree. Went to investigate it and about tripped over a chunk of salt. Stared at that for a moment before I realized I was probably being watched. Turned around 180 degrees and there was a camera. So I waved as I picked up the salt block to move it to a better location. An area where I know the elk frequent?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom