Utah Youth Any Bull 2021

Outdoordan

Very Active Member
So, I just put my daughter in for this hunt because the dates are great. However, I just read there is an UNLIMITED number of tags offered this year. I am seriously regretting doing so now, and hoping I can get an honest opinion here. Youth any bull 2021

I thank you, but I am still confused. Here is the headline:

Utah Wildlife Board approves unlimited any-bull elk permits for youth hunters in 2021, other big game hunting changes​

Thanks Robb! You have always been one of the most giving, well tempered people on the forums, and I appreciate you! We would be going into this pretty blind.

Shootem, is there a lot of otc archery hunters? Also, is the last half better than the first?
Yes there will be a bunch of archery hunters especially as this is the first year they have done this.

At the end of the day is still a very tough general hunt unless you know beforehand the area you are hunting and have a general idea of where and what the elk are doing.

Dont come in to this thinking you are going to find elk all over, or big bulls. Having no knowledge of the hunt is going to be tough unless you get lucky or have some help. Lots of guys willing to help.

Thanks Jake. She would be fine with a Spike, just don't want to waste our time on a "snipe" hunt. A reasonable chance and we're there.

The overlap with Gen Any bull bow hunt dates is okay by me as I can be up in person helping out and bow hunting at the same time if the Youth Hunter harvest early in the hunt.

I do the Multi Season Gen elk tag so I'm kool with me not harvesting for the Youth Hunter that week.

Robb

The draw odds for the youth any bull hunt are about 1 out of 16--not great but ya have a chance! I have not looked up the success % but I am betting that is dang low as well. If you are the adult taking the youngling out and you have had success yourself on the general any bull hunt I would say ya have a good chance at getting the youngster on an elk. If on the other hand you are flying blind and you put your kid in thinking it's a solid hunt then I'm afraid your chances of success will be slight. PleaseDear is a great resource but it's still a hard hunt. My daughter will be putting in for the hunt this year and I hope she draws as I know I can get her on elk but I have killed several general bulls and have the experience to make it happen. Good luck on the draw--this hunt is not as easy and folks expectations generally are not met

Some of the posts that get made this time of year, every year, sure are interesting.... and telling about the kinda hunters utah has and why they are always pissed about the “system”. Holy balls??‍♂️

The draw odds for the youth any bull hunt are about 1 out of 16--not great but ya have a chance! I have not looked up the success % but I am betting that is dang low as well. If you are the adult taking the youngling out and you have had success yourself on the general any bull hunt I would say ya have a good chance at getting the youngster on an elk. If on the other hand you are flying blind and you put your kid in thinking it's a solid hunt then I'm afraid your chances of success will be slight. PleaseDear is a great resource but it's still a hard hunt. My daughter will be putting in for the hunt this year and I hope she draws as I know I can get her on elk but I have killed several general bulls and have the experience to make it happen. Good luck on the draw--this hunt is not as easy and folks expectations generally are not met
res or non?

Thanks Jake. She would be fine with a Spike, just don't want to waste our time on a "snipe" hunt. A reasonable chance and we're there.
Uh, sounds like you better shoot the first cow you see if you’re so worried about it being a snipe hunt

Uh, sounds like you better shoot the first cow you see if you’re so worried about it being a snipe hunt

We live in Idaho and have decent rifle hunts here, but not any during the rut and when weather is better. Not sure what asking a GENERAL QUESTION about this has your panties in a wad.

We live in Idaho and have decent rifle hunts here, but not any during the rut and when weather is better. Not sure what asking a GENERAL QUESTION about this has your panties in a wad.
Just cuz the youth hunt is in “the rut” doesn’t mean it’ll be good by any means. Your Idaho youth hunts are far better than what utah has. But more power to you!

I looked up the 2020 draw odds for the youth any bull hunt and for Resident it is 1 out of 15.3 and Nonresident is 1 out of 7.4.

There is no points for this so it is true odds. Not good odds at all for a hunt that is low success

Just cuz the youth hunt is in “the rut” doesn’t mean it’ll be good by any means. Your Idaho youth hunts are far better than what utah has. But more power to you!

Thanks for the information. Idaho has mostly youth cow hunts and my daughter wants a bull (any bull).

Then there’s always the exception. My nephew’s son drew the first time he put in, didn’t hunt the first 5 days (school stuff) and shot a 300+ 6x6 within an hour of getting on the mountain.....I’ve never done that in nearly 50 years of hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom