Utah Youth Any Bull Elk

joshs

Hello,

We are leaving this weekend for a scouting trip for my sons Utah Youth Any bull tag and I am just looking for some feedback on the scouting areas I have put together from anyone who might have hunted these areas. It is about a 15 hour drive for us to get there so we will drive all night tonight and get to scout Saturday/Sunday, drive home on Monday. We will be arriving the day before season on our hunting trip and get to hunt 7 days, so we should have plenty of time.

I am focused as of right now on the south slope unit as a primary and the north slope as a backup.

South slope area around Marsh Peak. There are some closed roads in that are which look like they can get us back in pretty far with some nice meadows and water sources on the west side of marsh peak. From all of my maps that looks like it is a closed road - 1101-7 , does anyone know if that is actually closed or is there still ATV traffic on it?

Also looking at the east side of Marsh peak just east of lower goose lake. Again it looks like good water, good feed, and is away from road with some access to dark timbered slopes.

Any feedback you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks
Josh

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-19 AT 06:23PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-19 AT 06:21?PM (MST)

Why not the north slope???
Just curious your thoughts Brian?

Looking at elk populations from the Utah fish and game there is a much larger population in south slope, that is why I was looking at it as primary.

I was just curious your thoughts. That sounds like something good reasoning. There hopefully will be elk everywhere up there for us to chase and let's hope they are just screaming. Are you going scouting this weekend? Let us know how it goes if you do and I will do the same on the north side.

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-19
>AT 06:23?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-19
>AT 06:21?PM (MST)

>
>Why not the north slope???
>Just curious your thoughts Brian?

A mass. I have spent 20 plus years hunting the general bull on both the north and south slope. During that time it has been a night and day difference as far as opportunity to get into elk. The south slope just has more elk and alot more opportunity to put yourself on elk

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-19 AT 09:26PM (MST)[p]Thanks for your input. So if you were set on the north slope where about would be a good starting point? Mine would be around the Elizabeth pass area. Or possibly the Middle fork of black fork.
And what about the south slope iam not fimilar with it at all?

Scouting this weekend, I am blown away at how thick the area near red cloud loop is. Very challenging for spot and stalk. We were able to get a few return bugles but all were over 3 miles from road. Going to be a little much there for my 11 year old I think. Going to have to check a few other areas.

Toughest part about hunting most of the Uintahs is that they are thick with trees. All the vids you watch of guys doing spot and stalk, they just don't apply in many areas of the Uintahs. That said, if the rut is on, you'll have so much fun. My dad and I have called in several bulls during the muzzy deer hunt over the years in the Uintahs because its usually during the elk rut.

I can't wait til next year when my oldest can start hunting and hopefully draw a youth bull tag.

How did you do? I hunted the South Slope Yellowstone area. Hard hunt with lots of hunters and limited access because of the fire and now floods.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom