Utah Youth Any Bull - Scouting Service/Semi-Guided

bigharge

So my son drew the youth any bull tag and we have been escouting and planning the best we can from Texas. We had originally planned to be able to go up to Utah a week before to scout and get some time in to give him the best chance for success. Well, just so happens work and plans have changed and it looks like our scouting will be all but eliminated as we wont be able to show up until maybe the night before and wont have the entire week to hunt.

Regardless, my question is if anyone has ever used a scouting service that you pay to check out some areas that are of interest. Is that just throwing money away or is that something that someone has felt was a good value. I started searching around to see if there were any last minute cancellations on cheap guided hunts or even some private land access to help give us an edge, but what I have found is over budget especially for a general bull opportunity.

My other option is to possibly try and do a day and half trip the weekend before. I think I can fly into Salt Lake for cheap and rent a truck to run out and try and scout the weekend and maybe put out some game cameras. I dont mind spending the money to do that, but it would be a little draining and wear me out the weekend before we drive up.

I feel like Im overthinking this and trying to add too much to the plate. I hate showing up on the first day of hunting without any in person scouting, but will have to see how it plays out. Maybe dumb luck will be in our favor, lol

You are overthinking it.

The youth hunt is in height of the rut. Its not hard to find bulls. If your e scouting has you anywhere close to elk, you need only listen. They are hard to miss.

Shane Scott Outfitting helped a youth Hunter last year when my daughter had the tag. But he was guiding the big bull hunters the first weekend. Then he took out the youth hunters the next weekend. We saw him at the butcher dropping off opening morning. You may want to call him for help. I think he is pretty reasonable. Taylor Albrecht outfitting maybe another one to contact. What part of the state where you thinking of hunting? That may also help us to steer you in the right direction. As you know the archery hunters will have the elk running around for a month before your hunt starts. It can be tough to find a bull if you are not familiar with the elk in Utah. But we hope the best ether way for you and your boy. You can have a great time just being in elk county. Good luck.

Thanks, I kind of needed to hear that. If you read too much on forums you would think this hunt is impossible and a waste of time unless you are a local or have private access. We will have a blast regardless and bring some fishing gear in case the elk are quiet. The change of plans just had me second guessing things.

Its a fun hunt. Especially if your son hasn't heard bulls scream.

Find good feed you find the cows. The bulls will find the cows.

Appreciate the contacts, I may reach out to them and see. This will be my first time hunting Utah, but have been blessed to chase elk in just about every other state. But finding them in a pressured area in a spot a 12 year old can get to will be a good challenge

The area that we had scouted in August is now closed due to the East Fork Fire. The specific area we had been scouting isn't burned but the roads are all closed in that general location. I am doubting that they will be open for the opener.

I didn't really have a good backup plan so I am now scrambling trying to figure out a backup plan at the same time I'm trying to get my work done to take off.

Yeah, a couple of my spots that I had scouted online look to be closed right now. Looks like the snow and rain might have helped but no telling when it will open back up.

Well we finally made it happen. Not the bull he had dreamed up on the drive up but something we are both extremely blessed to have harvested. Hunting was hot and tough in our area. Had a blast though and where we ended up shooting this guy required max effort for this 12 year olds legs. Was extremely proud of him and the effort he gave these last 4 days. And as he told me when we walked up to him, I think we just killed the tastiest elk on the mountain, lol. Thank you Utah for a trip we will always remember!

2320795F-0805-49DA-AE8E-086E4BC61AC5.jpeg

Dad of the YEAR!!!! Way to persevere and not quit when things got tough. A lifelong memory and a lesson he will never forget! Tremendous Picture too!

Well we finally made it happen. Not the bull he had dreamed up on the drive up but something we are both extremely blessed to have harvested. Hunting was hot and tough in our area. Had a blast though and where we ended up shooting this guy required max effort for this 12 year olds legs. Was extremely proud of him and the effort he gave these last 4 days. And as he told me when we walked up to him, I think we just killed the tastiest elk on the mountain, lol. Thank you Utah for a trip we will always remember!

View attachment 13005

Best post of the season so far congratulations!!

Awesome. I'm happy for you both. You just made memories that will last a lifetime!!! Some day he will bag a bigger elk, but this hunt will be at the top.

Great dad for making it happen and teaching him to hunt. Pulling the trigger is awesome, but just a small part of the hunt. Congrats. Well deserved.

Fantastic and great memories! Way to start him off and now he can keep on dreaming of that next bigger bull!

Great job to you and your son!!!!!

glad to see it worked out, especially with the challenges of them going quiet after having been lit up.

Again huge congrats to you guys!!!!

Oh man, just saw this thread, started reading. Got more and more bummed cuz it went south so fast I figured the poor kid was aced out of a good hunt. First no scout trip, then primary area burned out. Then I saw the pic! I swear I got the same thrill and charge as I do when I pull the trigger myself!

View attachment 13005
That is awesome. Congratulations.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom