Utah's Sportsman's Tag Filled

slamdunk

Outstanding buck!
Screenshot_20201118-052907_Facebook.jpg

That is a great buck , but if that is the best those outfitters could find Utah is slipping big time. I have seen deer just as nice in MT in the last year.
The story is, they had a much bigger buck on the hook but it broke off it's entire back end on one side.
Guess we'll wait and see it next fall ?

The story is, they had a much bigger buck on the hook but it broke off it's entire back end on one side.
Guess we'll wait and see it next fall ?

Ya. That would be my luck if I had the tag.

But still, I knew of 2 bigger bucks on the oak creeks this year, and Ive never set foot on the oak creeks.

Still a nice buck

What will I do for lunch? One big buck down to a vehicle collision the other to a lucky tag holder. Getting hard to find town bucks to photograph.

That is a great buck , but if that is the best those outfitters could find Utah is slipping big time. I have seen deer just as nice in MT in the last year.
Just because you draw a Sportsman’s tag doesn’t mean it’s guided. Don’t confuse the auction tag with the Sportsman’s Draw tag. It was likely unguided. A great buck, especially if it was a DIY hunt. Great buck, Congrats. To the Hunter!!!

Just because you draw a Sportsman’s tag doesn’t mean it’s guided. Don’t confuse the auction tag with the Sportsman’s Draw tag. It was likely unguided. A great buck, especially if it was a DIY hunt. Great buck, Congrats. To the Hunter!!!
Guided......swing and a miss there bud.

Your probably right. Maybe the outfitters paid him to advertise their logos on his picture.

Last edited:
Guided......swing and a miss there bud.
Not all of the Sportsman’s tags are guided. The choice is up to each hunter how to proceed. Mossback has done many of these hunts Pro-Bono just to get the benefit of marketing for future hunts. Sorry you struck out............

When has a 220" class buck become not very big?
Either the picture is not very flattering or someone used a magical tape measure. Good width and G2's, better than average forks but not much better, below average mass and poor G1's and maybe 15 inches of nontypical unless there are some points I can not see.

I have a hard time getting the but more than a few inches above 200. Maybe it is the picture. Maybe the hunter weighs 350.

Not all of the Sportsman’s tags are guided. The choice is up to each hunter how to proceed. Mossback has done many of these hunts Pro-Bono just to get the benefit of marketing for future hunts. Sorry you struck out............
Guided, money doesn’t matter. Pro-Bono is still a guide taking a hunter out in the field.

I would have shot that buck and been happy to have him...no regrets. Not everyone has the time off for a tag of this magnitude. I would not have shot that deer on the island though in fairness. Congrats to the hunter.

Th
Guided, money doesn’t matter. Pro-Bono is still a guide taking a hunter out in the field.
The point is these Sportsman Tags do NOT automatically come as a guided hunt. It is a decision the hunter makes whether to utilize or NOT their services. Besides, if it’s a Pro-bono hunt the Guide won’t work nearly as hard for free. He just wants the client to harvest a great buck, not the highest elite standard buck as many of those are tucked away on some private ranch which requires a HUGE trespass fee which Joe Public cannot pay.

Last edited:
The Sportsman's Tag is an unbelievable/awesome/fun/overwhelming/ohshitwhatdoido moment in one's life :ROFLMAO: I dont care who you are and how much experience you have hunting whatever species it is that you have drawn with the tag, there is immediate overwhelming feelings of inadequacy as there is the rest of the state that you have never hunted that may hold other giants that you alone may not know about, but that guides would. So you have that temptation to hire a guide, which by the time you have ran through this scenario three or four of them have already contacted you trying to lure your loyalty away from anyone else. Basically, you have to decide how you want to make your bed and lay in it. There will always be repercussions to you decision no matter what it is. If you hire a guide then you didn't get the full experience of hunting with family and friends. If you don't and harvest the biggest buck that you and your family/friends found while hunting DIY then the harvest is not big enough for such a lucrative permit. You just have to be comfortable with your decision and live with it. I hunted DIY with close family and friends and instead of spreading out all over the state we just decided on one area and decided to shoot the biggest buck we could find there. As luck would have it we found a good one and the rest was history. BUT it was interesting to see the reaction from a lot of people regarding my harvesting of a 240" mule deer as many people said: "i cant believe you would kill on the first day, when clearly there are 260-270 bucks running around the state during the rut.... Which can be very true but a lot of the time they live in town or people are not about the cough up the information on a buck like that to such a snot nosed lucky hunter haha. Anyways, what I am getting at is it is impossible to satisfy everyone's "this is what I would have done.." plans. This years sportsmans buck is awesome! And noone will ever be able to take that and his memories made along the way away from him regardless of what others say. And that concludes my Sportsmans Tag essay for 2020

It is on a public facebook page, so I am guessing that is fine to post here? If not, feel free to take it down. Nice buck! Maybe not 220, but probably over 200.

Here is the story and photos, you can scroll down on the facebook page to see the photos and story:

3.jpg
126139529_10158541524601900_9040755334263632279_n.jpg
126076706_10158541524586900_1299856812068390773_n.jpg
:

We all dream of the tag...but only a few will ever get to see what it's like to hold it in your hands. Well in 2020, Austin Grimes was the lucky one to experience the Utah's Sportsman Deer Tag! Once again a joint effort was created between Mossback and
NRO to help Austin experience what this tag, and this hunt, is all about. Early in the season, NRO's Neil Clayton turned up an enormous buck. A no-brainer by anyone's standards, the wait for Sept 1st felt almost as long as official election results. When the time finally came, Austin, along with his dad Trent, and lifelong buddyJeremy Volt met up with a handful of Mossback and NRO's finest and the team embarked on what can only be described as a dirty grind of a hunt, in some of Utah's most unforgiving terrain. After a hard week of hunting, the choice to retreat and wait until the giant buck was
relocated was made. Unfortunately, the buck broke his entire back forks off of one
side and efforts to find Austin a tag worthy buck began elsewhere in the state. It wasn't until all the hunts in the state were done that Mossback's Colten Petersen, turned up the awesome buck you see here and just like that, it was on! It was only fitting that Austin had his dad, his buddy Jeremy, and Bryce Grimes there as he settled the crosshairs on the buck. Austin wasted no time when the buck stopped while chasing a doe...one perfect shot at 250 yards created smiles that will last a lifetime. Congrats to Austin on giving the hunt what it deserved and for the being rewarded with an absolute stud of a buck!!
From all of us at NRO and Mossback, "thank you" for letting us share in your adventure!

It is on a public facebook page, so I am guessing that is fine to post here? If not, feel free to take it down. Nice buck! Maybe not 220, but probably over 200.

Here is the story and photos, you can scroll down on the facebook page to see the photos and story:

View attachment 20718View attachment 20719View attachment 20720:

We all dream of the tag...but only a few will ever get to see what it's like to hold it in your hands. Well in 2020, Austin Grimes was the lucky one to experience the Utah's Sportsman Deer Tag! Once again a joint effort was created between Mossback and
NRO to help Austin experience what this tag, and this hunt, is all about. Early in the season, NRO's Neil Clayton turned up an enormous buck. A no-brainer by anyone's standards, the wait for Sept 1st felt almost as long as official election results. When the time finally came, Austin, along with his dad Trent, and lifelong buddyJeremy Volt met up with a handful of Mossback and NRO's finest and the team embarked on what can only be described as a dirty grind of a hunt, in some of Utah's most unforgiving terrain. After a hard week of hunting, the choice to retreat and wait until the giant buck was
relocated was made. Unfortunately, the buck broke his entire back forks off of one
side and efforts to find Austin a tag worthy buck began elsewhere in the state. It wasn't until all the hunts in the state were done that Mossback's Colten Petersen, turned up the awesome buck you see here and just like that, it was on! It was only fitting that Austin had his dad, his buddy Jeremy, and Bryce Grimes there as he settled the crosshairs on the buck. Austin wasted no time when the buck stopped while chasing a doe...one perfect shot at 250 yards created smiles that will last a lifetime. Congrats to Austin on giving the hunt what it deserved and for the being rewarded with an absolute stud of a buck!!
From all of us at NRO and Mossback, "thank you" for letting us share in your adventure!
He’s closer to 220 than 200 all days long. Great buck

That’s a terrible angle for a photo of, surely a spectacular buck. Congratulations to that guy.
Sure is a lot of garbage talking by the keyboard warrior society around here. The negativity gets exhausting.
for real everybody bagging on him for a nice buck i'd like to see them tag out on something bigger

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom