Valle Caldera Archery Bull

NMPaul

Start off, I want to thank a few people. Not sure if a couple of these guys are on the forum, but, want to thank Steve P. and Jobe C. that both had the hunt before Zach's and gave me the latest and greatest intel on the VC and how to handle the changes there.

Also, want to thank Jeff (aka Lionking) from the forum who was there with his family on business and helped us pack out a bunch of the meat that was several miles from our truck. Great to meet some of the folks from this forum.

Javier, hope your having luck out there good to meet you.

VC is still one of the greatest places to hunt. Almost all the roads are closed to motorized vehicles except VC 2 and I think VC 9 that runs East to West. Also, South Mountain and unit 13 are closed to hunting.

Zach killed this bull about 10:30 opening morning. Bull scored 320 and change, but, was old and heavy.

About a 4 mile packout. Jeff, really helped us out with some of the meat.

4439dscn1279.jpg

1740dscn1304.jpg

2nd day packing out.

5196dscn1310.jpg

Last 2 miles on the bike.

1882dscn1317.jpg

92142015zachsbull.jpg

NMPAUL,
It was finally glad to meet you and your son Zach. Congratulations to your boy Zack on a nice old bull! You have raised a respectable good boy, he is very sincere. It was such a coincidence that I was able to meet you...in such a awesome place and circumstance. Funny how things work out.
I'm glad you guys made it home safe! We would sure love to hear the story behind this awesome bull...

Lionking

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

>NMPAUL,
>It was finally glad to meet
>you and your son Zach.
>Congratulations to your boy Zack
>on a nice old bull!
>You have raised a
>respectable good boy, he is
>very sincere. It was
>such a coincidence that I
>was able to meet you...in
>such a awesome place and
>circumstance. Funny how things work
>out.
>I'm glad you guys made it
>home safe! We would sure
>love to hear the story
>behind this awesome bull...
>
>Lionking
>
>
47d81ada2754674f.jpg

Not much of a story since we only hunted till 10:30 on opening morning, but, here it goes.

We took our bikes in an hour before daylight about 2 miles.

Elk never stopped bugling all morning except when I was calling. Then everything shut up. I was told I had to keep my calls in my pocket. I think I would have got better, but, really we were doing better ambushing and getting in front of elk moving up into bedding area.

We saw 2 very big bulls. Zach got a shot at one, but, had to guess yardage and picked the 50 yard pin. Arrow went way over his back hit a branch and went into orbit. Clean miss.

We got to the top of the ridge and moved in on several bulls that were bugling. Zach went in front and I just tried to keep him in view.
He crested the ridge and several bulls were working over trees and bugling. This bull had his butt to him and turned and saw him. Started walking. Zach shot and hit him in the rump. Jitters? moving target? just bad shot? not sure, but, he got real lucky.
Autopsy revealed that the arrow missed the large bone and made its way into the center of the pelvis. The bull took off, but, real slow. Zach chased him a few hundred yards, caught up when the bull bedded and put a good shot through both lungs. Bull jumped up went 15 yards more and keeled over for good. Took us awhile to find each other again, but, we did. celebrated and then the work started.

He took the first load down and while I worked on the bull they continued to bugle all around me.

Nice job. I have the first rifle hunt Oct.10th can't wait. went down last weekend and did some glassing from the road what an awesome place. I am headed back down on Saturday and going to do the back country drive on Sunday morning and look around.

I'm curious Paul, about the new rules. I've hunted it during old management. What is similar or different under new management?

Wow
You guys did it up right for sure. Great job on a stud bull. That pack out will concrete those memories in place.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Levi, it would be premature to say, but, best guess is that they will model it after the Valle Vidal.

It sounds like the roads they closed are closed for good for hunting, that includes MIP.
Also, it was said they believe the number of tags will be increased.

Hunters were given combo for gate to come and go as they wished. You were allowed to hunt within the VC as long as your camp was at least 1/2 mile from the road. Basically a back pack camp. There were designated camps on the perimeter for truck camp.
There was no checking in or checking out.
They closed unit 1 and unit 13 to hunting. These are a big loss, and what I worried about before.
While elk hunting was the main bread winner, elk hunting took some priority.
Now that revenues are not the priority (well I dont think they ever really were) a big chunk of it was restricted to hunting. The Valle Grande was always off limits, but, now more of it is.

Still cannot kill coyotes, and they have the tamest coyotes I have seen.

It also I believe will be a draw hunt.

I think it will still be a great place at the very minimum the near future.
Honestly, there are some benefits to the road closures, and I do not think the public will have unhindered access to it. I think that a couple units/roads may have been set aside for MIP/youth, and I hate to see 2 very good units closed to hunting.

Hey Paul,
When was the orientation for your hunt now that the hunts start on Friday?

My wife drew cow tag and other than the authorization I haven't received anything. I've called and been tossed from person to person without getting any details.

Thanks

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom