Valles Caldera - 6B Educate Me

Empty Nester

Fortunate to have drawn the 6B Valles Caldera rifle hunt for Oct 22 -26. Other than what I've been able to gather from internet searches, can those that have hunted this unit provide me with their real life hunting experience.

Off the top of my head questions:
Can you scout the unit during the months of May - September
Can you camp (tent) in the unit during your scouting trips and actual hunt
How do you access the unit - I understand that it has locked gates
What would you expect to experience during the hunt
Coming from Carlsbad, NM - what is the best to get to the unit
What is the orientation like - what information was provided
Wanting to take my 85 year old father for one final hunt - can he enjoy this hunt (not planning on taking him up the mountain - but would love for him to be with me as we drive and camp)

thanks

Empty Nester

Nice tag! Fellow carlsbadian here lol. We hunted 6c last year and hunted the edges of the caldera. Those elk know the boundary for sure! We watched elk out in the caldera everyday. Should have a great hunt. Not sure on access. Pm me and I can give you what I know from watching them from 6c.

You can scout the unit May-September. Check their website in case there happens to be a closure due to road conditions/fire, etc. They give out a number of back country passes each day. First come first served. This give you vehicle access to a limited number of roads. But you can hike into most other areas. There are some areas closed to access. Check out their website for details.

You can camp on the caldera, but with some very specific restrictions. Check the website. You will most likely have access to camp at the Banco Bonito area during your hunt.

They will give you the codes to the two gates you can use to access the area. Main entrance and western entrance.

Not sure of the best way to get there from Carlsbad.

The orientation will give you a lot of info regarding what is expected of you. Pay attention. Things like where you can and cannot park, speeding tickets on the caldera, prohibition on taking minerals and sheds (there are a lot). The will also give you the cel numbers for the G&F officers you will need to notify if you will be on the Caldera after prescribed hours.

You can take your Dad with you. There are several places I can think of off the top of my head he could probably walk with you into areas where you could get a bull.

Enjoy a great hunt.

I have been in there twice on muzzleloader elk hunts in 2018 and 2019. 2018 we were able to scout/hike but I live within and hour and a half so never camped until the hunt. 2019 didn’t scout just the day of the orientation. Camped both hunts at Boca Rodando grounds they provide . Both hunts bulls were killed on opening day. I know three other hunters who had the same hunt last year and all three killed great bulls. My daughter drew a cow hunt in there this year so I’m pretty excited to be going back…Congrats on the amazing draw , plenty of really nice bulls and the most amazing elk property in NM imo..

You can scout the unit May-September. Check their website in case there happens to be a closure due to road conditions/fire, etc. They give out a number of back country passes each day. First come first served. This give you vehicle access to a limited number of roads. But you can hike into most other areas. There are some areas closed to access. Check out their website for details.

You can camp on the caldera, but with some very specific restrictions. Check the website. You will most likely have access to camp at the Banco Bonito area during your hunt.

They will give you the codes to the two gates you can use to access the area. Main entrance and western entrance.

Not sure of the best way to get there from Carlsbad.

The orientation will give you a lot of info regarding what is expected of you. Pay attention. Things like where you can and cannot park, speeding tickets on the caldera, prohibition on taking minerals and sheds (there are a lot). The will also give you the cel numbers for the G&F officers you will need to notify if you will be on the Caldera after prescribed hours.

You can take your Dad with you. There are several places I can think of off the top of my head he could probably walk with you into areas where you could get a bull.

Enjoy a great hunt.
I have been in there twice on muzzleloader elk hunts in 2018 and 2019. 2018 we were able to scout/hike but I live within and hour and a half so never camped until the hunt. 2019 didn’t scout just the day of the orientation. Camped both hunts at Boca Rodando grounds they provide . Both hunts bulls were killed on opening day. I know three other hunters who had the same hunt last year and all three killed great bulls. My daughter drew a cow hunt in there this year so I’m pretty excited to be going back…Congrats on the amazing draw , plenty of really nice bulls and the most amazing elk property in NM imo..
AlleninNM

Sent you a message

Tim

Hunted archery 2019. Truly exceeded what I imagined an elk hunt could be.

Looks like the other fellas mostly answered your questions but feel free to pm if you've got anything else. I understand camping in Redondo was closed last 2 years due to covid. ? it reopens this fall.

Congrats on an awesome tag!

I think your best and quickest route would be 285 North through Roswell, Vaughn, Clines Corners, Santa Fe, Los Alamos and then into the VC. Lots of folks hate that drive but for some reason I really enjoy 285 from Roswell to Santa Fe. Seen some amazing antelope and a handful of nice muley’s as well.

Enjoy, probably one of the best opportunities for a truly giant NM bull.

My wife drew out second archery. Is the orientation the day before the hunt starts or opening morning. If the day before what time is it usually held?

Fortunate to have drawn the 6B Valles Caldera rifle hunt for Oct 22 -26. Other than what I've been able to gather from internet searches, can those that have hunted this unit provide me with their real life hunting experience.

Wanting to take my 85 year old father for one final hunt - can he enjoy this hunt (not planning on taking him up the mountain - but would love for him to be with me as we drive and camp)

thanks

Empty Nester
Last year I drew the late rifle hunt. I would highly recommend calling Pete Vigil with 505 Outfitters. I did a fully outfitted horse back hunt with he and his men, we hunted hard for 5 days after I passed on a 370 bull the first morning about an hour into the hunt a bull Pete highly recommended I shoot, We encountered snow and some brutal winds, explored just about every hunt-able part of the unit. I ended up killing about a 350 bull on the last morning of the hunt in the same area we had come across the bigger bull the first morning. I don’t regret passing the bull the first morning. As I got to explore the magical place that the Caldera is. But what I am saying is Pete knows where the animals are and how to get on them and knows what you should shoot when. He generally is in there every hunt with hunters so his knowledge is better then any scouting report that you would be able to do on your own. I have hunted all over this country for elk and I don’t think there is a better place to elk hunt or hunting outfitter to go with! I highly recommend you go with a guide as it is a hard tag to draw and you may never get it again. Might as well make the best of it with a outfitter who knows it as well as 505 Outfitters to maximize your opportunity and the way to do that is to hire Pete and his guides at 505 Outfitters. Congratulations on drawing such coveted elk tags!

Good luck!

Last year I drew the late rifle hunt. I would highly recommend calling Pete Vigil with 505 Outfitters. I did a fully outfitted horse back hunt with he and his men, we hunted hard for 5 days after I passed on a 370 bull the first morning about an hour into the hunt a bull Pete highly recommended I shoot, We encountered snow and some brutal winds, explored just about every hunt-able part of the unit. I ended up killing about a 350 bull on the last morning of the hunt in the same area we had come across the bigger bull the first morning. I don’t regret passing the bull the first morning. As I got to explore the magical place that the Caldera is. But what I am saying is Pete knows where the animals are and how to get on them and knows what you should shoot when. He generally is in there every hunt with hunters so his knowledge is better then any scouting report that you would be able to do on your own. I have hunted all over this country for elk and I don’t think there is a better place to elk hunt or hunting outfitter to go with! I highly recommend you go with a guide as it is a hard tag to draw and you may never get it again. Might as well make the best of it with a outfitter who knows it as well as 505 Outfitters to maximize your opportunity and the way to do that is to hire Pete and his guides at 505 Outfitters. Congratulations on drawing such coveted elk tags!

Good luck!
This message brought to you by 505 Outfitters. ?

Thanks for all the responses……I’m sure a knowledgeable outfitter would up my chances of being successful. I also understand that I may never draw this tag again. Unfortunately, I don’t have the finances for a guide and ultimately I want to do this the old fashioned way……work for it. Again, thanks to all who have given their help.

Tim

dont worry about the orientation, they will send you that in the mail....ive hunted vc twice, once with my wife, once on mine, both muzzle, both guided with different outfitters...i dont know your financial situation but if i had never been there i would hire...i know a canyon or 2 that would be a good spot but your dad prolly couldnt go...you aint gonna shoot one close to the road on that late of a hunt...it is still HUNTING even with a guide!!you will probably never draw that hunt again...my advice is to google eddie ortega and request dennis sanchez as your guide...he was the former director of vc, he knows where to go...great camp, great food, best bunch ive ever been around...i killed a 338...previous hunt with my wife with different outfitter she a let a legit 375 walk away, settled on a 300...i drew a 16d early rifle this year...never will draw it again...im 67 and getting tired...got a guide that ive hunted with before...ive hunted from the yukon to mexico and lived in nm my whole life...i aint rich, but like clint eastwood said "a mans gotta know his limitations"...look at the success rate, you gotta realize that the guided hunts are figured in there too

Last edited:
When you use Google Maps to navigate to the VCNP from Carlsbad, make sure you check the "I'm carrying firearms" box so it doesn't route you through the national lab...It'd be a shame to miss the orientation.

When you use Google Maps to navigate to the VCNP from Carlsbad, make sure you check the "I'm carrying firearms" box so it doesn't route you through the national lab...It'd be a shame to miss the orientation.
National lab…….
Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but what is this?
Thanks

Or take the top secret bypass around LANL.
Hockey fans know it well.
Plus one here. This would be the quickest route from Carlsbad via Santa Fe to Pojoaque, then up to Los Alamos and around the checkpoints via the ice skating pond. Then it's a hop skip and a jump to the Caldera.

1652208195757.png

Change your prayers for a big bull to prayers for rain or there wont be any need to plan your route! Cerro Pelado fire is growing fast with the winds this week! 42,491 acres 11% contained as of today

View attachment 76034
Change your prayers for a big bull to prayers for rain or there wont be any need to plan your route! Cerro Pelado fire is growing fast with the winds this week! 42,491 acres 11% contained as of today
Not good. Hope people get evacuated on time. Seems like these fires get worse and worst each year.

? I'm not the one who passed on a 370 bull. I think it was someone else!
i think hes talking about my wife...shes fat and old and couldnt get situated....the outfitter brought a gov tag to shoot him but they agreed he was only 380...but maybe not, it wasnt first day first hour etc...to the carlsbad guy....if youre not camping on the vc stay at jemez springs...its close

i think hes talking about my wife...shes fat and old and couldnt get situated....the outfitter brought a gov tag to shoot him but they agreed he was only 380...but maybe not, it wasnt first day first hour etc...to the carlsbad guy....if youre not camping on the vc stay at jemez springs...its close
??‍♂️?

thanks

Empty Nester
Currently everything is closed here to the public and no scouting until they lift the closures :( right now supposedly closed till Dec 31 2022~! So no hiking, camping, scouting....nada till NM says "ok"

Hope those that drew a tag can make it work somehow. Seem like nowadays archery hunts are becoming an iffy thing with all these fires and closures.

Does anyone know if the National Park Service adopts the same closures as the USFS? Hoping by some miracle I can still go fish San Antonio Creek in a couple weeks.

Does anyone know if the National Park Service adopts the same closures as the USFS? Hoping by some miracle I can still go fish San Antonio Creek in a couple weeks.
I would call but our National Parks are all closed as well in NM as far as I now. Folks can't even hike in the Sandia mountains outside of ABQ. They mean business.

dont worry about the orientation, they will send you that in the mail....ive hunted vc twice, once with my wife, once on mine, both muzzle, both guided with different outfitters...i dont know your financial situation but if i had never been there i would hire...i know a canyon or 2 that would be a good spot but your dad prolly couldnt go...you aint gonna shoot one close to the road on that late of a hunt...it is still HUNTING even with a guide!!you will probably never draw that hunt again...my advice is to google eddie ortega and request dennis sanchez as your guide...he was the former director of vc, he knows where to go...great camp, great food, best bunch ive ever been around...i killed a 338...previous hunt with my wife with different outfitter she a let a legit 375 walk away, settled on a 300...i drew a 16d early rifle this year...never will draw it again...im 67 and getting tired...got a guide that ive hunted with before...ive hunted from the yukon to mexico and lived in nm my whole life...i aint rich, but like clint eastwood said "a mans gotta know his limitations"...look at the success rate, you gotta realize that the guided hunts are figured in there too
I enjoyed your write up recently on VC in New Mexico & your recommendations. I’ve heard about that area for many many years, I’m now 75 & running out of seasons & time.
Could I ask you for your advice on the best times

to plan a hunt if you could draw a tag , but I likely never will ! Worth a try. Not getting any younger for certain. I’m old but still get around fairly well- LOL ?.
I’d appreciate any information you’d like to share .
Jerry Gold
Windsor, Colorado ?

Headed up to the Valles Caldera on Tuesday. Thanks to all who have provided guidance and support. My wife and I were able to get 4 scouting trips in over the spring/summer. Going at it by ourselves, I’ll report back in a couple of weeks.

EN

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom