Vehicle Camo Covering

hunt1

Has anyone purchased the adhesive camo sheets to put on your truck? Are there any other choices to protecting your trucks paint and still offer concealment. I bought the truck I always wanted a couple years ago, just couldn't refuse the price even though it was bright red. Since I still will be making payments for a couple more years, I am hesitant towards scratching it too heck. Suggestions?

I have always been amused by the idea of putting camoflage on a truck. My question would be why? It's not a blind and I'm sure you don't road hunt.

Cheers,

BeanMan

I was in your same boat about 10 years ago when I bought a brand new red Ford Bronco. At the time I read in one of the hunting mags about a product from a small company in Utah that was intended to protect your trucks paint. The product was called Truck Skins (as I recall) and it was supposed to be made to custom fit each different body style of truck, but the ones I ordered for my Bronco did not fit properly in the rear (the front pieces fit fine). To the extent that it did fit it worked fine. It fit over the front fender and door cliping under the hood and to the edge of the door. The second piece on each side then went from just back of the door to the rear of the vehicle. It was a long time ago now and I don't remember the cost, but I think it was about $300. It was made of a very stout cornundra (sp?) type material.

The major drawback of this item was that, in order to attach it to a SUV they used velcro (because there was no way to clip to a pick-up box, for example). This required sticking velcro strips on the outside of your vehicle below the window line. Now, who in the world wants velcro sticking to the side of your brand new rig. Unless they have come up with a magnetic system, or unless your truck is a pick-up, this might be a definite reason not to choose this same product.

I returned mine and, after a long hastle, they returned my money less 25% restocking fee.

Hope this helps.

Mark

I'd bet that most anything you put over the paint will either allow it to sweat underneath, promoting rust formation at some point, OR move around on the paint, scratching the clear coat or paint.

IMHO like some of the others-- just live with a few scratches here and there. Its a truck after all. Not a BMW. Though I sympathize with your payments. Mine are probably the same and I also have a red truck. But the deer are pretty much toast by the time they get to the bed and aren't visibly afraid of the truck color at that point..... :)

Jeff

I did this to my truck.I rhino lined the bottom 1/4 of the truck and the bed then camo the rest.I did it because General Motors white paint was peeling real bad and it was cheaper than a new paint.Also I ain't afraid of taking it through the brush now.
224725899olxWBy_ph.jpg

224725534rgUYne_ph.jpg

Bean man
Putting camo on your vehicle can be done for many reasons.
1. It is like a custom paint job if you will, and some people
like the way it looks on their vehicle.
2. In some states you may hunt from ranch roads.
3. In these same states you can make your truck into a mobile
blind.
4. Some trucks just have a camo acent strip, just to show they
are insane about hunting.
5. Some folks think it is fun to camo thier vehicle.

Hope this sheds some light on the subject for you.

"We MUST Hunt"

SoTx,

Do they make accessories to lift a camo blind truck? A truck that is a treestand, now that would be something. That way you could carry all the doodads necessary for hunting dinky dog deer. Cough suppressors, buckets of scent wafers etc.

Before you get your knickers in a twist, I'm just havin some fun with you.

BeanMan 0 Fahrenheit

"Knickers in a twist"? You must be British?

Any way, if you were implying that I may have taken offence to your question of why, I am in no way in a twisted knicker. I was just trying to clarify and answer your question.

To answer you next question. Yes they do have accessories to lift a truck blind. I can not remember the brand name right off, but there is a electric/hydraulic blind that mounts in the bed of the truck. You can raise it to 20'.

I am un-clear on the "dinky dog deer" portion of your comment. But if that is what you desire to hunt, I am sure you could hunt them from a camo truck and blind combo.

Any way, do not get your "Panties in a wad" I am only funin as well.

"We MUST Hunt"

I think a little camo covering on a truck looks good,like in the back window or rocker panels, maybe some advantage max-4 seat covers etc. But to try and make it into a blind is one retarded freaking idea. and looks like chit too.

Heres a couple shots of my truck and the camo add ons.I love to hunt and dont mind lettin people know that as well.Plus it looks cool IMO!!!!!!!!

PICT2365.jpg

PICT2352.jpg

PICT2351.jpg

Thanks for the info and suggestions. That's a pretty sweet set up on you truck elkhntr. To address the "truck hunting", I just simply was looking for a way to protect my truck and downplay the red color to the animals. The majority of my hunting is in the oilfield and the animals get used to seeing plain white trucks as opposed to bright red.

I think it is too late though because I just got the call to go oryx hunting in brush/mesquitte heaven. A friend of mine had the magnetic truck covering that he left on year round, but I don't have faith that it will stay on when driving 70 mph on the highway. I'd hate to pay over $800 and have it fly off somewhere. I want to evaluate the materials first before I make the purchase. Glad I bought a 4-wheeler that I don't mind driving through the tight, brushy roads.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom