Vehicle use in North east Oregon

Transam2340

Planning on doing an elk hunt in northeast Oregon, was curious what kind of vehicle is required for travel over there.... Is it similar to Idaho and Montana where you can ride ATVS and UTVS behind most gates and roads or more like Washington are licensed motorcycles and bicycles the only way to go. Any info helps.... Thanks.

It depends on which unit and the time frame. Late tags equal Snow. Sometimes deep snow. Some years you might get dry weather but sub zero temperatures. Others years rain and mud. Some units an ATV might be useful. Others a waste of space. I know guys with tracked ATV's some years that is the only way to get in on main roads. I use a 4x4 truck with heavy chains fit on all 4 or a samurai with 4 chains. I have had to chain up the truck to pull my trailer the 25 miles back to pavement. The worst 5 miles was breaking trail in 18" of wet heavy snow. Smoked the auto trans in my 07 dodge diesel that trip. Bring your A game and a deep pocket credit card. Just in case you need to hire a skidder to drag your rig out to pavement. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------support your local guzzlers. OHA life member,lapine oregon

Don't get a PHAT ticket like I did 20yrs ago for riding an ATV on a gravel road that was open. On my way back to camp after a long day I was stopped by a ODFW stater. After a 20min lecture on how ammo can't be kept in a mag he gave me a $300 ticket. Then a couple years later I parked the ATV 10' off the open road & was given a ticket for that. Long story short I don't use ATV's anymore LOL

muleyman

Oregon is not like Idaho. Gated and closed roads are closed to motor vehicles. Best place to look is on the Wallowa Whitman National forest website and download a travel management map. Idaho is ridiculous with ATVs and gated and closed roads. Oregon is not the same.

Back
Top Bottom