Vernon rifle hunt

jhibbs

I’ll be hunting the Vernon rifle hunt for deer this fall and was wondering what other people have seen over the past few years. Is it a unit where you see a lot of deer and you just have to hunt hard and pass on a lot of average bucks, or will you typically only see a few deer each day. Due to being from Maine, I will only be able to get there a couple of days prior to the season to scout due limits on time off and hope to make the most of it. Looking forward to fun hunt and hopefully I’ll meet up with a few MM members while I’m there. Two months to go! Good luck to everyone this fall.

It's a fun unit to hunt. You'll see plenty of deer and plenty of average to below average bucks. There are a few solid bucks on the unit but good luck finding them (not to say it's impossible). They give out quite a few tags for the unit and even though it's a large unit, most of the people hunt in a select few areas. Water will be key. You'll find way more trail cameras around the watering holes then you will shooter bucks. Good luck on your hunt and can't wait to see pics!

I’ll be hunting the Vernon rifle hunt for deer this fall and was wondering what other people have seen over the past few years. Is it a unit where you see a lot of deer and you just have to hunt hard and pass on a lot of average bucks, or will you typically only see a few deer each day. Due to being from Maine, I will only be able to get there a couple of days prior to the season to scout due limits on time off and hope to make the most of it. Looking forward to fun hunt and hopefully I’ll meet up with a few MM members while I’m there. Two months to go! Good luck to everyone this fall.
Depending on what you are after this unit is a fun hunt. We have hunted it in the past and had a great time watching bucks and being picky. You should be able to shoot a 170" buck fairly easy from what I have seen in the past. Has been dry all summer until this last month we have got quite a bit of rain. Little late for antler growth but has been really good for the grass and feed. We have a rifle tag out there this year so we will be out chasing them as well.

Good luck. Make sure you have lots of fuel. This unit is really big with mountain ranges that are spread apart quite a ways.

Extra fuel and EXTRA TIRES. You can’t patch the holes those rock make in those radials.

Have fun, every unit in Utah is unique and different. The Vernon is no exception. All the best.

Thanks for the replies, a 170 type buck is good by me, I’m not expecting a monster, but it’s nice to know you can pass 160 type bucks, see a lot of deer for a few days looking for a good one and still be able to have some opportunities at decent bucks the last few days of the hunt. Most years in Colorado I eat tag soup, I usually see a far amount of bucks, but even in the low success unit I typically hun, I won’t shoot unless it’s at least 160. Got to let the young ones grow and at 57 I’ve taken enough deer so that it’s more about the hunt than the kill. Hope you have a great hunt and perhaps I’ll see you out there.

QUOTE="jhibbs, post: 1982950, member: 5029"]
Thanks for the replies, a 170 type buck is good by me, I’m not expecting a monster, but it’s nice to know you can pass 160 type bucks, see a lot of deer for a few days looking for a good one and still be able to have some opportunities at decent bucks the last few days of the hunt. Most years in Colorado I eat tag soup, I usually see a far amount of bucks, but even in the low success unit I typically hun, I won’t shoot unless it’s at least 160. Got to let the young ones grow and at 57 I’ve taken enough deer so that it’s more about the hunt than the kill. Hope you have a great hunt and perhaps I’ll see you out there.
[/QUOTE]
Without knowing the unit well. You're most likely not going to be seeing too many 160+ bucks.

Thanks Ridge, but it’s nice to know that they are there. I don’t expect to be tripping over them, but won’t feel compelled to shoot a 160 type buck if I do see one early. But nothing in hunting is a sure thing, I’ve had lots of successful hunts when I didn’t punch my tag.

jhibbs, if you can hunt the last few days of the hunt. Then I would hold out. With the later dates, you should see some rutting activity and some older bucks.

Thanks Ridge, I do plan on being there for the entire season. Will be hoping for some colder weather, I'm sure the number of hunters will drop off significantly for the last few days too.

Super jealous of your tag. I love the Vernon. It’s a great unit. Vernon deer funny. They seem to rut midway through the rifle hunt every year even without any weather insensitive. You’ll be very disappointed if you ride roads and trail expecting to see bucks though. Those bucks know what a motor is and they’ll just lay down and let you drive by. Good luck!

I had a muzzy tag last year then went back on the rifle hunt to help a buddy. The opening weekend of the rifle hunt was a zoo. There were people everywhere. Don't get discouraged by the crowds when you get there. By Monday morning 80% of them were gone.

Thanks, I’m really looking forward to this hunt. I figured that it would be a zoo the first few days. That’s usually the way it is in the easy to draw unit I usually hunt in Colorado, however after about 4-5 days there are almost no people there. Usually the critters start to calm down a little too.
I usually try to find areas which are so rough and nasty that even I don’t really want to go into it. And then I talk myself into it, because I know that is where the smart critters will be hiding. Hopefully I can find some canyons like that to hunt.

Thanks for the comment, perhaps hunting the mid level at the top end of where it starts to turn into cedars and thick stuff might be a possible option too. Some times a lot of people scouting will drive the bigger bucks into the thick stuff before the season even opens.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom