Vernon Unit

Muley_73

Very Active Member
I know it may be a surprise to many on this site but I do actually go out and hunt on occasion (not just interweb bicker) I've spent most of my 44 years chasing Muleys in south central Utah and on the Cache Unit. Never thought much about the Vernon unit until I moved to Santaquin a few months ago. I love looking at big mule deer so the Vernon was immediately on my radar. Now with a tag in my pocket I'm well on my way to being obsessed. Don't need anyone's honey hole or gps to a giant buck (unless you want to) lol! But I would love to have some general areas to start or some off the beaten path areas to check. My goal with this tag is learning the unit and hopefully finding a special buck that is away from the masses. I won't be afraid of packing in or spending hrs out in the desert. Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

How much money did it cost you under the table at the expo to get the tag?
37205hornkiller.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-18 AT 01:55PM (MST)[p]Horn,
Didn't cost me anything, which you know. Just trying to do a little research and enjoy my tag. If you wanna keep playing the conspiracy game, I'm fine with that, but let's start a separate thread for that. :)

LOL!!! Now I get it , all makes sense now, you drew a tag. Just had to razz ya a bit, I know you can take it.... sorry I don't have any info, but congrats on drawing a tag!!!

>How much money did it cost
>you under the table at
>the expo to get the
>tag?
37205hornkiller.jpg

Really???

Cody-

I don't know much about the Vernon but I certainly wish you the best of luck with your hunt. Congrats on drawing a tag and make sure you keep us updated on your hunt.

-Hawkeye-

I had that tag in 2000, a long time ago.

All the bucks don't live in the mountains. Spend some time scouting the flat lands and leave the chukar out there alone, I might want to go back someday and blast a few.

Had a Muzzy tag in 2016. Spotted a lot of deer and bucks in the summer including during the archery hunt. The weather turned and the deer were gone. It was a tough hunt for me. My disability does not permit total mobility so I covered a lot of ground on the atv. I would hunt south of Little Valley. Find a cattle water hole hike a nearby ridge and glass the sage and draws. Cow hollow and south. I hope this helps. Congratulations on drawing a tag. Took me 12 years and if I had the opportunity to choose I would not waste my years on Vernon. Will give more details if/when needed.

Vernon bucks tend to change patterns after shedding velvet. Don?t overlook the low country with minimal cover.

Good Luck Cody!

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

>Vernon bucks tend to change patterns
>after shedding velvet. Don?t overlook
>the low country with minimal
>cover.

Don't most mule deer?

>>Vernon bucks tend to change patterns
>>after shedding velvet. Don?t overlook
>>the low country with minimal
>>cover.
>
>
>Don't most mule deer?

Nope. Just Vernon bucks.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-18 AT 04:46AM (MST)[p]We got 2 for 2 last year. Never seen so many animals in one hunt before. Lots of 3x4s! good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom