VERY close call today

3TOE

Very Active Member
I ventured out for my first glassing / scouting trip today. The search for deer was fairly mundane only turning up a few groups of does. So I started hiking a bit to check on a few water sources & trying to learn the area a little. I learned that I need to pay more attention looking down than glassing ahead for deer. I literally walked on top of a rattler. He gave a short rattle & in my head, I thought it was a locust until I looked down. My left leg was about 2’ from him! I stepped back quick & looked around to make sure there weren’t others. It was a close call. I have had a few other very close encounters with poisonous snakes, but this one could have bit if he wanted to. The next time I go out, I will be paying more attention to my feet than what is ahead.
FA1B9F4C-B686-4F1D-8544-7B8A900A6E5E.jpeg
D2371662-6CFE-45DE-9C1F-0986F04EE60E.jpeg
F3D968D3-3C69-49E6-99B5-2EC8C456BDC8.jpeg
I’ve never had rattlesnake before, but I’m going to try it soon. ??

I ventured out for my first glassing / scouting trip today. The search for deer was fairly mundane only turning up a few groups of does. So I started hiking a bit to check on a few water sources & trying to learn the area a little. I learned that I need to pay more attention looking down than glassing ahead for deer. I literally walked on top of a rattler. He gave a short rattle & in my head, I thought it was a locust until I looked down. My left leg was about 2’ from him! I stepped back quick & looked around to make sure there weren’t others. It was a close call. I have had a few other very close encounters with poisonous snakes, but this one could have bit if he wanted to. The next time I go out, I will be paying more attention to my feet than what is ahead.
I know the feeling.

One year way back when I was hunting javelina just west of SR77 & the San Carlos res. It was either late Feb. or early March. So one morning after a rather cold night, I was working my way thru the bottom of a canyon and came to an area that had lots of tall, thick brush and large rocks that I had to meander over. I was pushing my way thru sort of sideways, using my shoulder to deflect the branches and happened to look down. There, spread lenghtwise sunning itself on a big flat rock, was a 3' rattler, and as I put my right foot down about 10-15 inches away, it lashed out. I was fortunate it wasn't coiled because the strike came up a bit short. But, as I jumped back, I screamed like a little girl, just thinking I had been nailed. A few seconds later, a guy yelled, "Are you Ok?" He was on the canyon rim above me and heard my little scream. Before I could shoot the snake, it disappeared into a crevice between the rocks, which was likely its winter den.

View attachment 47138View attachment 47139View attachment 47140I’ve never had rattlesnake before, but I’m going to try it soon. ??
A little olive oil, garlic and season-all salt and/or bread coating if you'd like. It's pretty damn good.

I know the feeling.

One year way back when I was hunting javelina just west of SR77 & the San Carlos res. It was either late Feb. or early March. So one morning after a rather cold night, I was working my way thru the bottom of a canyon and came to an area that had lots of tall, thick brush and large rocks that I had to meander over. I was pushing my way thru sort of sideways, using my shoulder to deflect the branches and happened to look down. There, spread lenghtwise sunning itself on a big flat rock, was a 3' rattler, and as I put my right foot down about 10-15 inches away, it lashed out. I was fortunate it wasn't coiled because the strike came up a bit short. But, as I jumped back, I screamed like a little girl, just thinking I had been nailed. A few seconds later, a guy yelled, "Are you Ok?" He was on the canyon rim above me and heard my little scream. Before I could shoot the snake, it disappeared into a crevice between the rocks, which was likely its winter den.
That gives me the creeps!!! ?
I’m not at all ashamed to say that I screamed like a little girl myself. It was sort of an UUUghhhhhh…. with the hhhhh at several octaves higher than the UUUg. ?
Lesson learned… 2 years ago I was scouting an area & decided I would take a shortcut back to the truck. That shortcut ended up being a loose rock & boulder face at a 45 degree angle for about 200 yards. All I could think about was stumbling into a snake. I would have been totally screwed if I had.

A little olive oil, garlic and season-all salt and/or bread coating if you'd like. It's pretty damn good.
SWEET!!! I wish I had sealed 2 bags instead of putting it all in one. I would have tried a few different things with it. I read online earlier that it’s similar to turtle or alligator. I’ve had grilled alligator & I loved it.

That gives me the creeps!!! ?
There was another close one, too. A good friend of mine, Norm Smith, was a biology professor at the U of Arizona. He was also a photographer. So one day he calls me and tells me to meet him out by the Palo Verde NP, which I did. The plan was to go to the U of A research facility a bit north of the plant. The task was to wait until dark, then head out and locate one or more of the rattlesnakes that had transmitters implanted by his students.

When we first got to the trailer, we set a few live traps with hopes of catching a mice or two to feed to a snake. We then went to bed for a few hours. We caught two mice while we were asleep. Norm put them in a sack & off we went to the area where the snakes were located.

While Norm carried & worked the receiving antenna, I lugged a big flashlight & our cameras. As we neared a wash, we started getting a signal. When it got stronger, we stopped to plan our attack.

So Norm is going on about how he hates to feed one of the mice to the radioed snake because it will screw up the research a bit for his students. We're standing about 3' apart & at that point, I decided to point my flashlight toward the ground.

Curled up asleep between us was a fat rattler. All I could muster as a I jumped back was, "Oh $hit!" Norm immediately knew what I meant & reacted the same. The snake never picked up its head until we later provoked it.

As it turned out, that snake WASN'T the one sending out the radio signal. That one was in the wash, as we had thought. Our friend didn't have a radio in it.

This is the guy that was between our feet.

rattlesnake.jpg

Last edited:
There was another close one, too. A good friend of mine, Norm Smith, was a biology professor at the U of Arizona. He was also a photographer. So one day he calls me and tells me to meet him out by the Palo Verde NP, which I did. The plan was to go to the U of A research facility a bit north of the plant. The task was to wait until dark, then head out and locate one or more of the rattlesnakes that had transmitters implanted by his students.

When we first got to the trailer, we set a few live traps with hopes of catching a mice or two to feed to a snake. We then went to bed for a few hours. We caught two mice while we were asleep. Norm put them in a sack & off we went to the area where the snakes were located.

While Norm carried & worked the receiving antenna, I lugged a big flashlight & our cameras. As we neared a wash, we started getting a signal. When it got stronger, we stopped to plan our attack.

So Norm is going on about how he hates to feed one of the mice to the radioed snake because it will screw up the research a bit for his students. We're standing about 3' apart & at that point, I decided to point my flashlight toward the ground.

Curled up asleep bewteen us was a fat rattler. All I could muster as a I jumped back was, "Oh $hit!" Norm immediately knew what I meant & reacted the same. The snake never picked up its head until we later provoked it.

As it turned out, that snake WASN'T the one sending out the radio signal. That one was in the wash, as we had thought. Our friend didn't have a radio in it.

This is the guy that was between our feet.

View attachment 47148
That is a fat snake!!! All I can say is that you need new friends in a different line of work. Lol
All of this talk of snakes made me jump online & purchase these bad boys a few minutes ago. Lol
4C84D049-BA9A-411A-9BCC-1FFF783364A2.png

That is a fat snake!!! All I can say is that you need new friends in a different line of work. Lol
All of this talk of snakes made me jump online & purchase these bad boys a few minutes ago. Lol
Those will work!

I had two other encounters over the years, where I also escaped unscathed. Both of those happened about 50 years ago.

Had a few hits and misses over the years, and I really REALLY dislike the buggers. I grew up in south Georgia and northern Florida with big Eastern Diamondbacks, that can really hurt you. I'm looking around on the ground more than for deer, anytime it's the least bit warm. Here in Idaho, we have to watch up in the sagebrush, 'cause they like to climb and get up in the shade!!

Yes they are tasty. I like soaking them in Craft Zesty Italian and white wine. Usually need 3 to 4 to get a good taste. Also I usually eat a plate of pasta as I bbq them. That way you can take your time eating them.

I’ve seen a few of them in the desert where I hunt, opening morning my cousin shot a buck and we quartered it up and headed down the trail, he stepped right over one and didn’t even see it, I was about 20’ behind him and wasn’t in the mood to hike around it so I leveled my rifle down towards it and blew it to pieces, the only problem was I couldn’t see where the head landed, those rotten sobs will still bit long after they are dead

I would say I’m not scared of them, but that would only be partially true. If I know where they are I’m fine. When they startle the crap out of me then I’m scared as hell. Lol
Truth is, I don’t much care for snakes period.
My oldest daughter had a ball python for years until she moved out & got married. The only reason I was ok with her moving out was because I knew my new son in law would have to feed the damn thing. ?

My grandfather ingrained a fear of them in me as a kid taking me hunting; “Watch where you step, step on top of the log and look over the other side before you step down, always carry a snake bite kit,“ etc.etc. so they still freak me out to this day but I am getting better about them. I learned that to cover high desert country with sage and high weeds if I watched every step it would take me forever to make even a 100 yards so now I just kind of go for it hoping for a warning rattle rather than a strike...

Horniac
53CCA51F-6D80-4896-9190-FC29E80310F3.jpeg

Killed a 6'2" Timber rattler once on a dove hunt.
Wanted to eat it but after finding 2 big slimy rats
in his belly I just couldnt do it. Had the skin for a
while, wish I'd done a better job preserving it.
Live down on the coast now in Diamondback country.
Have yet to see any other than dead on the road.

Killed a 6'2" Timber rattler once on a dove hunt.
Wanted to eat it but after finding 2 big slimy rats
in his belly I just couldnt do it. Had the skin for a
while, wish I'd done a better job preserving it.
Live down on the coast now in Diamondback country.
Have yet to see any other than dead on the road.
I think if I found a rat in mine, it would have turned me off to eating it too.

I hate wearing shoes and boots, and prefer to just traipse around in my old TEVA sandals most of the time. It always makes me nervous roaming around in the rocks and weeds, knowing how vulnerable my feet are!!!

I hate wearing shoes and boots, and prefer to just traipse around in my old TEVA sandals most of the time. It always makes me nervous roaming around in the rocks and weeds, knowing how vulnerable my feet are!!!
There was a guy last year that was hiking somewhere up Logan canyon if I remember that was wearing tevas and got struck in the toe by a rattler, omg that would hurt ?

Reminds me of a close encounter in Spenceville WA turkey hunting. Mid-morning I was headed to an area I’d had luck in past. Hit call and a gobbler sounded off less than 100yds off—I looked for a place to sit—he sounded off again much closer. Saw a large boulder and quickly sat down....noticing an inch or so crack partway up. My back to the rock, the gobbler sounded off again right on top of me—pulled gun up and the sound of bacon frying instantly came out of crack near my neck. I dove forward, and lept to my feet (in corner of eye saw gobbler take off flying)... I went back to rock and looked in crack with headlamp—small rattler was in back of crack less than foot from opening.

Needless to say I have a hard time using any backrest that has opening/cracks without thoroughly checking with light—-or more often opting for another spot to sit ;)

Back in the 80's, a coworker was picking up a downed quail and got bit on the forearm by a rattlesnake. He came into work telling us all about how much it hurt, and the treatment with the anti venom etc.
Long story short, he almost lost that arm! It would not heal! It kept getting blacker & blacker and nastier, and nastier. A year later, he had lost some mobility in his right arm and the "dent" in his arm was significant. After that, I took rattlesnakes a lot more serious than I had before.
Oh, and for the record, they do continue to "strike" long after their head has been completely removed!
Not long after the event described above, I was quail hunting and moving through some very thick brush when I heard a rattler buzzing. I immediately froze and started looking for the source of the buzz. I finally located him about 10 feet from me all coiled up under a Palo Verde tree. I carefully aimed at his head with my shotgun. My shot completely obliterated his head. I cut off the remaining "pulp" that had been his head & started for the truck with the snake. I was going to make a fancy hat band out of his skin.
I was carrying a headless snake, and that sucker would coil & strike! Even though I knew there was absolutely no way he could hurt me, it gave me the creeps every time he did it. I finally decided I didn't need a hat band after all & dropped him.

Back in the 80's, a coworker was picking up a downed quail and got bit on the forearm by a rattlesnake. He came into work telling us all about how much it hurt, and the treatment with the anti venom etc.
Long story short, he almost lost that arm! It would not heal! It kept getting blacker & blacker and nastier, and nastier. A year later, he had lost some mobility in his right arm and the "dent" in his arm was significant. After that, I took rattlesnakes a lot more serious than I had before.
Oh, and for the record, they do continue to "strike" long after their head has been completely removed!
Not long after the event described above, I was quail hunting and moving through some very thick brush when I heard a rattler buzzing. I immediately froze and started looking for the source of the buzz. I finally located him about 10 feet from me all coiled up under a Palo Verde tree. I carefully aimed at his head with my shotgun. My shot completely obliterated his head. I cut off the remaining "pulp" that had been his head & started for the truck with the snake. I was going to make a fancy hat band out of his skin.
I was carrying a headless snake, and that sucker would coil & strike! Even though I knew there was absolutely no way he could hurt me, it gave me the creeps every time he did it. I finally decided I didn't need a hat band after all & dropped him.
That’s crazy! I’m not ashamed to say that I carried mine back to the truck with 2 sticks. It still had the head on it, but I had a hatchet at the truck. It gave me the creeps moving around 30 minutes after I had shot it.

That’s crazy! I’m not ashamed to say that I carried mine back to the truck with 2 sticks. It still had the head on it, but I had a hatchet at the truck. It gave me the creeps moving around 30 minutes after I had shot it.
That’s cause they are evil ?

I‘ve heard lots of stories like that which didn‘t help to alleviate my fears of them. As a boy, I remember reading an article in Oudoor Life or Field and Stream about a rancher who killed one and when he later opened his back door it was coiled up right at the door and ready to strike him.

My grandmother used to tell me old wives tales like; “snakes don’t die until sunset“ and if you put a manila rope around your tent you were safe because snakes don’t like to crawl over them.

A guy that used to work for us had his young son with him while touring his property in the foothills. His son sat on a stump and when he and his wife turned around they were horrified when they saw the kid holding a rattlesnake which of course bit him. The son ended up being OK.

My late uncle would tell us the story of when he was young and his dad posting him up on a rocky ledge during deer rifle season in the dark. When the sun rose, he was surrounded by dozens of rattlers on that ledge. He was moving them out of the way with the gun barrel of his old 30-30 lever action to clear a path off the ledge. By the time he was clear of the snakes, his barrel was dripping with venom from all the strikes...

I always bury the head when I kill one so it won’t be able to bite someone or someone’s dog before the sun goes down! I think my grandmother must have been right haha!

Horniac

View attachment 47138View attachment 47139View attachment 47140I’ve never had rattlesnake before, but I’m going to try it soon. ??
Kinda like frog legs, and cross between chicken and chewing gum! :ROFLMAO:

I know 4 people who have been bit. One was a copperhead. All were on the hand and sticking them somewhere without looking.

Every one of them got sick and said it was very painful. The guy who got bit on the finger by the copperhead almost lost it. It looked like a rotten black bratwurst.

I know 4 people who have been bit. One was a copperhead. All were on the hand and sticking them somewhere without looking.

Every one of them got sick and said it was very painful. The guy who got bit on the finger by the copperhead almost lost it. It looked like a rotten black bratwurst.
An old friend in MS was bit by a cottonmouth years ago while crappie fishing. He immediately went to the hospital for treatment. He said that he got super sick & was hallucinating. The crazy SOB went back to the lake fishing later that day. Lol Crazy redneck!!! ?

After reading about all these rattlesnake encounters, I had no idea we have so many women Monster Muley members! :p
Hello SlinginLead,
It has been quite few years now, but I remember when I thought like you. I am often amazed that I survived those days.
Not sure about where you live, but here in the desert of AZ, we have this little trick to find & kill rattlesnakes at night:
The pack rats, ground squirrels, chipmunks etc. like to gather up desert trash into big piles and dig their burrows into it. A buddy figured out that the snakes like them too and will go into them looking for the rodents, especially at night! Take a gallon of gas and a garden hose. Suck some of the gas up into the hose, and blow it into one of the holes in one of those big piles/ burrows.
I guarantee that you will only do it one time! That is unless, of course you are batshit crazy. Multiple snakes coming out of that pile all at once and they are pissed. The darkness adds a nice touch as well
That can be your initiation to our little MM Ladies Club!

Elkchaser

Hello SlinginLead,
It has been quite few years now, but I remember when I thought like you. I am often amazed that I survived those days.
Not sure about where you live, but here in the desert of AZ, we have this little trick to find & kill rattlesnakes at night:
The pack rats, ground squirrels, chipmunks etc. like to gather up desert trash into big piles and dig their burrows into it. A buddy figured out that the snakes like them too and will go into them looking for the rodents, especially at night! Take a gallon of gas and a garden hose. Suck some of the gas up into the hose, and blow it into one of the holes in one of those big piles/ burrows.
I guarantee that you will only do it one time! That is unless, of course you are batshit crazy. Multiple snakes coming out of that pile all at once and they are pissed. The darkness adds a nice touch as well

Elkchaser
I know that wasn’t direct to me, but I will pass. Lol I have no issue wearing a MM Ladies club patch on my backpack. ?
I don’t want to bump into one accidentally & I sure as hell wouldn’t intentionally try to locate & piss one or more off!!!! ??

Those pictures of the large ball of rattlers all dened up is not something I would personally care to find as I seek refuge in a cave or overhang from a storm. ??

Hello SlinginLead,

Elkchaser
:ROFLMAO: I can't agree more in that how we survived our youth is beyond me! I used to catch snakes as a kid, both poisonous and non-poisonous. Western Diamondbacks, Sidewinders, King snakes, Gopher snakes, you name it, whatever I could find in the Santa Monica Mountains of LA, or the deserts of Palm Springs. I recall skinning the Rattlesnakes and finding partially digested rats, mice, and even young ground squirrels. Problem is, I still enjoy it at 65 years old! I always get a kick out of listening to hunters who freak out over the sight of a snake, yet they have no problem hunting in some really extreme places, and do some really crazy things at times, all without a worry in the world. But when they cross a snake, all hell breaks loose! :)

This is a good thread..bottom line is I hate snakes but I'm not really afraid of them if they don't bother me I won't bother them..here's something interesting rattle snakes are legally protected here in Utah..I wonder what idiot thought that law up..I believe in self protection

An old friend in MS was bit by a cottonmouth years ago while crappie fishing. He immediately went to the hospital for treatment. He said that he got super sick & was hallucinating. The crazy SOB went back to the lake fishing later that day. Lol Crazy redneck!!! ?
I guess you could say the bite was on that day! Har har har

This is a good thread..bottom line is I hate snakes but I'm not really afraid of them if they don't bother me I won't bother them..here's something interesting rattle snakes are legally protected here in Utah..I wonder what idiot thought that law up..I believe in self protection
Wow after 35 years finally a reason to like something in Utah besides Mormon women!

I guess you could say the bite was on that day! Har har har
More ways than just one! His name was Elbert & he was a gritty good ol’ boy. The kind that most wouldn’t want to tussle with. I’m surprised he didn’t bite the snake back. Lol

Good to know… if I ever run across one in UT & kill it, I know not to post it here on MM. ?

That‘s some great video you took of that rattler Wetmule!

Doesn’t AZ have those Mojave greens with that specialized deadly neurotoxin?

Horniac

That‘s some great video you took of that rattler Wetmule!

Doesn’t AZ have those Mojave greens with that specialized deadly neurotoxin?

Horniac
Thx Horn... IPhone video from about 5ft. Yep we got all kinds of Rattlers here including the Mojave Greens. This is the 1st Diamondback I’ve run across in the area I hike. I’ve seen tons of Speckled Rattlers & Tiger Rattlers in my hiking area near home. The Tigers & Speckled rattler habitat is in the steep & rocky desert hills & mountains, whereas the Diamondbacks are usually found in lower elevation flatter terrain. Two mountain bikers rode within a foot of this snake next to the trail but they didn’t hear my heads up & rode by without a clue. Lucky the snake was being lazy. Pro Tip from personal experience when hiking, trail running, hunting etc. - leave the tunes & headphones off. Most of the time (but not always) in my experience, these snakes will give you their warning. If you can’t hear them you may end up right on top of them

Thx Horn... IPhone video from about 5ft. Yep we got all kinds of Rattlers here including the Mojave Greens. This is the 1st Diamondback I’ve run across in the area I hike. I’ve seen tons of Speckled Rattlers & Tiger Rattlers in my hiking area near home. The Tigers & Speckled rattler habitat is in the steep & rocky desert hills & mountains, whereas the Diamondbacks are usually found in lower elevation flatter terrain. Two mountain bikers rode within a foot of this snake next to the trail but they didn’t hear my heads up & rode by without a clue. Lucky the snake was being lazy. Pro Tip from personal experience when hiking, trail running, hunting etc. - leave the tunes & headphones off. Most of the time (but not always) in my experience, these snakes will give you their warning. If you can’t hear them you may end up right on top of them
Good video, Kev and a good tip about the ear buds. But sometimes like the one on the rock in the canyon & the one Norm & I had between our feet, they don't make a peep.

In fact, I had another incident with a quiet one in the 1960s. I had bought a new .243 M100 Winchester, so early one Dec. day I went out to a rifle range one of the clubs had out by Skunk Creek near Happy Valley Rd./I17. Back then it was all desert & actually offered some good quail hunting. There were also a lot of jack rabbits running around. After I sighted in the rifle, I decided to take a walk & perhaps nail a couple of the long-eared critters.

I had been walking about 10 mins. when I went to step over a low creasote bush. I had my foot in mid-air when I saw the buzztail that was coiled on the other side of the bush. He never rattled or raised his head as I brought my foot back & put a 100gr. thru its head. I tanned the skin & it became a hat band for my Stetson. I still have it somewhere.

I think the reason he was sort of slugish was the temperature. It had been about 35 during the night & was still chilly when we crossed paths.

These stories are nuts!

Not hunting related or dangerous but for a good laugh... I was tubing the river last weekend and saw what I thought was a piece of a willow branch in the water... I reached my arm out to grab it and it turned out to be a little garter snake swimming. I felt it slither across my arm and I just about walked on water. I can't even count how many times I've tubed that stretch of river and I've never seen a snake in the water before. Gave me a good scare and an even better laugh after.

Good video, Kev and a good tip about the ear buds. But sometimes like the one on the rock in the canyon & the one Norm & I had between our feet, they don't make a peep.

In fact, I had another incident with a quiet one in the 1960s. I had bought a new .243 M100 Winchester, so early one Dec. day I went out to a rifle range one of the clubs had out by Skunk Creek near Happy Valley Rd./I17. Back then it was all desert & actually offered some good quail hunting. There were also a lot of jack rabbits running around. After I sighted in the rifle, I decided to take a walk & perhaps nail a couple of the long-eared critters.

I had been walking about 10 mins. when I went to step over a low creasote bush. I had my foot in mid-air when I saw the buzztail that was coiled on the other side of the bush. He never rattled or raised his head as I brought my foot back & put a 100gr. thru its head. I tanned the skin & it became a hat band for my Stetson. I still have it somewhere.

I think the reason he was sort of slugish was the temperature. It had been about 35 during the night & was still chilly when we crossed paths.
Yikes! - you've had your share of snake encounters as I think all of us have when out & about in AZ. A lot of the snakes I see here locally hiking on the trails will buzz, but who knows how many I've walked right by that did nothing? Suckers are so well camoflaged! The snake in the video didn't buzz so it's probably false for me to presume that most will buzz even though I've seen a lot that do. I was shooting my bow once at the Flagstaff archery range, either missed or blew thru the target. Finally found my arrow and as I was reaching down to pick it up, a big beautiful AZ Black started buzzing inches from my hand. Made a nice belt. Once when archery pronghorn hunting near Flag I was belly crawling in an attempt to close the distance on a buck I wanted to shoot. Came face to face with a prairie rattler in the grass. Ruined my hunt thereafter. A friend of mine got bit on the hand reaching down to pick up a downed quail near Wickenburg... almost killed him as he got zapped good.

Last edited:
These stories are nuts!
Which brings us to....

I went fishing the other day but after a short time I ran out of worms.

Then I saw a rattlesnake swimming a few feet away with a frog in its mouth.

Of course, frogs make good bass bait.

Knowing the snake couldn’t bite me with the frog in its mouth, I grabbed it right behind the head, took the frog, and put it in my bait bucket.

Now the dilemma was how to release the snake without getting bit. So, I grabbed a bottle of Jack Daniels and poured a little whiskey in its mouth. Its eyes rolled back, and it went limp.

I released the snake into the lake without incident and carried on fishing, using the frog.

Not long after, I heard a bit of commotion in the water next to the boat. It was that dang snake… with two more frogs.

looneytoons.gif

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO: I can't agree more in that how we survived our youth is beyond me! I used to catch snakes as a kid, both poisonous and non-poisonous. Western Diamondbacks, Sidewinders, King snakes, Gopher snakes, you name it, whatever I could find in the Santa Monica Mountains of LA, or the deserts of Palm Springs. I recall skinning the Rattlesnakes and finding partially digested rats, mice, and even young ground squirrels. Problem is, I still enjoy it at 65 years old! I always get a kick out of listening to hunters who freak out over the sight of a snake, yet they have no problem hunting in some really extreme places, and do some really crazy things at times, all without a worry in the world. But when they cross a snake, all hell breaks loose! :)

Fortunately you hunt with guys that aren't afraid of snakes.

T
These stories are nuts!

Not hunting related or dangerous but for a good laugh... I was tubing the river last weekend and saw what I thought was a piece of a willow branch in the water... I reached my arm out to grab it and it turned out to be a little garter snake swimming. I felt it slither across my arm and I just about walked on water. I can't even count how many times I've tubed that stretch of river and I've never seen a snake in the water before. Gave me a good scare and an even better laugh after.
That would be the same reaction I would have. Lol

Speaking of coming unglued...

A friend invited me to hunt whitetails at his father-in-laws ranch near Del Rio, TX one year way back. There were 3 of us, and we had the run of one of the older ranch houses on the property. It had three bedrooms, so we each grabbed one. It was pitch black in the room. I was lying on my back and just about asleep the 2nd night when I felt something moving on my stomach.

I reacted pretty quick & without thinking. I swatted at it with my right hand & nailed it pretty good. I heard it 'thunk' against the wall, which was right against the bed. I jumped up real quick & turned on the light to find a big rat writhing in pain on the bed. I grabbed a big glass ashtray off the nightstand to adminsiter the coup de gras -- a few times.

From then on, I slept with the nightstand light on -- and one eye open. :ROFLMAO:

A similar thing happened on an archery mule deer hunt in northern Colorado. There were four us in the ranch house, and it was mice this time. One ran across my chest the first night. I didn't catch it or kill it, tho. So the light went on for the duration.

Spending nights at my Uncles in Georgia was always interesting. 100 year old farmhouse, surrounded by 3000 acres of wheat. LOTS of mice, that would run over you all night. Sheet over your head, all edges totally tucked in around you, flat on back, and never roll over all night. Creepy!!!

Which brings us to....

I went fishing the other day but after a short time I ran out of worms.

Then I saw a rattlesnake swimming a few feet away with a frog in its mouth.

Of course, frogs make good bass bait.

Knowing the snake couldn’t bite me with the frog in its mouth, I grabbed it right behind the head, took the frog, and put it in my bait bucket.

Now the dilemma was how to release the snake without getting bit. So, I grabbed a bottle of Jack Daniels and poured a little whiskey in its mouth. Its eyes rolled back, and it went limp.

I released the snake into the lake without incident and carried on fishing, using the frog.

Not long after, I heard a bit of commotion in the water next to the boat. It was that dang snake… with two more frogs.

View attachment 47456
That, my friends, is the new standard in Cool Stories! I doubt that one will be topped anytime soon. I have to wonder how the heck you were able to hold the snake, open the bottle, and get it poured??? :unsure:

If anyone has the misfortune or stupidity to have a Gila Monster latch on to you - about the only way to get it to release its bite..... is to pour alcohol of any kind on it's face & eyes. As told to me by the resident Herpetologist at the Phx Herpetological Sanctuary.

Your Jack Daniels & Wild Turkey really is for medicinal purposes

If anyone has the misfortune or stupidity to have a Gila Monster latch on to you - about the only way to get it to release its bite..... is to pour alcohol of any kind on it's face & eyes. As told to me by the resident Herpetologist at the Phx Herpetological Sanctuary.

Your Jack Daniels & Wild Turkey really is for medicinal purposes
Back in the day, , , , seems like someone always brought along a bottle of "Snake Bite Medicine", for medicinal purposes!
Things got a little weird a few times, but I don't remember anyone ever sharing good whiskey with a rattle snake! That would have been pretty low, even for us.
I still wonder how I survived them days.

IF YOU GET A DRY BITE..........GOOD !!! IF YOU GET THE JUICE YOU COULD LOSE TOES, FEET , LIFE...................WHY NOT WEAR THE KEVLAR GAITERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IT WORKS..................................YD.

IF YOU GET A DRY BITE..........GOOD !!! IF YOU GET THE JUICE YOU COULD LOSE TOES, FEET , LIFE...................WHY NOT WEAR THE KEVLAR GAITERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,IT WORKS..................................YD.
I ordered a pair a few days ago & actually are getting delivered today. After my run in & all of the stories, I’m not ashamed to say I will be wearing them on my pronghorn hunt next weekend.

Now that’s the coolest mount ive seen in a long time! Dayum!
The mount was done by Chris Krueger in Phoenix. I had him copy a frame from an old video I found of a bobcat attacking a snake along a dirt road. See about the 1:20 mark in the video.

Cat vs snake

Chris used a square steel rod up through the snake that goes into a square female socket in the cat's mouth. So the cat can actually be separated if necessary.

All those doodads at the base are the various awards he won at one of the taxidermy gatherings. I might miss one or two but it took Best Lifesize, Best Artistic, People's Choice & Best of Show.

post-82-0-32684200-1308000204_thumb[1].jpg

post-82-0-40435600-1308000164_thumb[1].jpg

post-82-0-82455100-1308000186_thumb[1].jpg

post-82-0-15367000-1308000228_thumb[1].jpg

Last edited:
I did one for a hat band once many years ago. I fleshed the skin & used push pins to keep it flat on a board. Then I applied alum to it a couple times until it was dry & clean of all flesh. Liberal coats of glycerine everyday for a week softened really well. No scales lost & it retained its color. It still graces one of my Stetsons.

Last edited:

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom