Video: 650 yard kill shot

Sherlock

I callled this “Long Range” at 650 yards. But since it’s a 300 Win Mag and not a ML, not sure if it qualifies nowadays. Regardless, it was a fun lesson for us on the effects of the cold shells on muzzle velocity and the need for a spotter at that distance.

Same Boys that Found out Bison can take a Punch!
Bess, a little more about that bison. The 1st shot was good, thru both lungs with .338 Win Mag. But I still laid in the snow for over 10 minutes watching it and waiting for another clean shot. I have no doubt any other animal would’ve fallen over. That 2nd shot was perfect, center punched the heart. Still went a little ways afterwards, considering. Yup, tough critters.

Tristate is going to have fun with this video!
I do agree, a spotter is a must for shots that far. Congrats.

If that upsets you, this one that I posted in “Youth Outdoors” will probably make your head explode...

Graphic warning: death of an animal is shown from “shooting”. Not for you squeamish folks.

On her first ever hunt, my daughter found her wounded antelope still alive after seemingly dropping it at just over 200 yards. She did what was necessary:

I would sure love to hear from all the pro's on here, what distance constitutes "hunting"? What is ethical? Can you have a buddy with you watching as you shoot? For the record, I'm not a fan of the "best of the west" 1000 yard shots. There are tons of reasons why, I'd just like to hear from you all.
Thanks in advance.

Yup. My buddy was gonna use his bayonet, but those “flamers” on other social media say you gotta kill it with your bare hands or you’re not a real man.
Exactly! I'm pretty sure a bayonet isn't legal to hunt big game though. Might want to check the regulations for where you are hunting.

I would sure love to hear from all the pro's on here, what distance constitutes "hunting"? What is ethical? Can you have a buddy with you watching as you shoot? For the record, I'm not a fan of the "best of the west" 1000 yard shots. There are tons of reasons why, I'd just like to hear from you all.
Thanks in advance.
Ton's of threads on this subject. The answer is 401 yards. 400 is ethical. 401 unethical. 50 yards with a rifle? Not ethical. Its a min/max thing when it comes to ethics.

No Doubt!

They are TOUGH!

Bess, a little more about that bison. The 1st shot was good, thru both lungs with .338 Win Mag. But I still laid in the snow for over 10 minutes watching it and waiting for another clean shot. I have no doubt any other animal would’ve fallen over. That 2nd shot was perfect, center punched the heart. Still went a little ways afterwards, considering. Yup, tough critters.

Who wrote those threads? I'm sure you have followed those rules to the letter.
Use the search function. There is a crap ton of threads on the ethics of long range hunting/shooting on here. Search function is in the upper right corner if you’re on cell phone.

Never claimed to be an ethical hunter.

I think with me on the Long Range shooting is not necessarily the ethics of it, but we do use that word when talking about long range. Today's Guns and Bows are definitely capable of very long shots and are very efficient at distance.

For me though is when do we draw the line on becoming more efficient. I'm just not sure the game we hunt can handle it if it keeps getting easier and easier...

How many of you saying this is unethical take shots at running animals? How many of you take off hand shots at 200+ yards?

The ethics police crack me up
You forgot one!
AND...How many of you have nothing better to do than watch grown men cry on the internet?

Thanks in advance.
Everything good happens at 4:20!

So, if it is 420 yards or under, it is hunting!

421 yards and above, shooting!

C’mon folks! It’s in the regs book, pg 420!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom