Video of my WY Buff hunt

gznokes

Very Active Member
I had some good guys on this forum help me with some information for the bison permit I drew in WY this year. Just thought I'd share a quick link to the video about how the hunt went down.

When it was all said and done, I shot this bull on the 12th day of hunting. I hunted the national forest and the refuge. I saw bulls on legal ground 5 of the 12 days I hunted. I never saw a cow anywhere other than the park or the refuge. I'd heard some stories about the refuge being a zoo, but by some stroke of luck I was able to spend 40 minutes alone at first light looking over an undisturbed herd of 175 bison before anyone else had a read on where they were. After hunting them on forest and refuge, I have to say I actually liked the refuge the best. That's not to say the forest wasn't incredible, for me it just felt incredible to be looking over a huge herd of bison on a giant grassland.

117.jpg

MT_Grizz.jpg

Damn cool vid of a fine trophy.
You made the most of your hunt.
Congratulations,
Zeke

What a hunt and nice video! How easy (or difficult) would it be to get close enough to shoot one with a bow?

I'm not a bowhunter, but I'd say it is doable for bulls if you have time and can go a lot. I talked to a couple guys who were successful with their bows in 2013. They were hunting the national forest where there is more cover and terrain. It's weird, when the buff are outside of the park they can be as spooky and skittish. When they break and run, they always run for the park. They know when they are somewhere they shouldn't be. Cows are a different story, because they are rarely outside the park and they are in huge herds. When they hit the refuge I think they typically get stirred up quite a bit. That being said, I think a few get taken by hunters with archery equipment every year.

MT_Grizz.jpg

Thanks gxnokes. If i ever draw that tag, i may try using my bow for a few days and then switch to a rifle. Once again, nice buffalo.

Thanks for sharing your'e hunt. I drew that tag as well, and shot mine on January 3rd. It was a hunt i'll always cherish, it wasn't so much the killing part,but the whole experience. Hopefully my son in law will draw next year,and can do it again.Can i ask what your'e hanging weight was, mine was right at 670 lbs. The meat is the best!!

brdhuntr, As you saw in the video, I had Tag n Drag help me get mine off the range because I was by myself. I ended up quartering it by the side of the road and then loading everything in the back of my SUV. The 4 quarters were on the bone and the rest was boneless --backstraps, loins, etc. All that weighed 611 lbs when I took it to the processor. The burgers have been awesome. I'll send you a PM.

MT_Grizz.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-15 AT 11:06AM (MST)[p]Very cool hunt and video. There is no more iconic of a north american trohpy than a bull like yours! Congrats

Awesome video and congrats on a great buff! I don't know anything about the wy buff hunting, but I've been on several hunts on the Henries and wow what an animal. Those things are the toughest creatures on earth. Great job!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-15 AT 08:56PM (MST)[p]Awesome video and congrats on a great bull! I don't know anything about the wy buff hunting. But I've been on several hunts on the Henries and wow, what an animal. Those things are the toughest creatures on earth. Great job!

Thank You Thank You Thank You!
The video was great and I really enjoyed watching it.
Especially since that is one hunt I will probably never be able to do.
Congrats on a fantastic bison!

Very nice and loved the video. I'd love to shoot a big buff. Well done

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

Bow is definetly doable fyi.

Fun hunt! Great weather this year. You found some nice NF bulls, good job, I have heard how tough that is!

Congrat's!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom