Virgin Columbia Hunter

P

PotatoWhisperer

Hey, just wondering what input anyone would have for a virgin columbia black-tail hunter as to where to go and hunt these deer? Which state, region, etc? Any guides you can suggest? I would like to hunt them in the next year or 2 just to put a nice one on the wall to add to the small, but growing collection!

Thanks...

P-DUB

For your first hunt, I would go to California on the coastal areas. I personally think it is very easy to find a decent buck, you could use some of your spot/stalk skills you know already. This would keep you from getting to frustrated with hunting in some of the brushy areas of WA, Ore, Ca. The Yolla Bolly has monster bucks along with Southern Ore. I believe Schafsma guide service or some name like that is a reputed guide. I will check my notes.........

Hey P-dub,
I don't know the California areas at all but I would do research on them. In Oregon, check out the Josephine county and Jackson county. They are right on the Oregon California boarder. I think but not sure that most B.C. bucks are out of Josephine but either produce monster Blacktail. Good luck and I hope you get bragging rights. Jon

well, where would you like to hunt, washington, oregon, california, alsaska, b.c? i knwo a guy, he says he's gonna check everything out on this forum, good rates, very good rates....and good bucks. not an outfitter, just a guide.....

Hey P-DUB,

Go to the open forum and look at Blacktail Boys post on Boyd Iverson. His book would be a good start into understanding these deer. Washington-Oregon Game & Fish has some good articles in the latest issue on blacktails including Washington's new state-record buck who scored a whopping 179 1/8 non-typical. They have a website at http://www.WOgameandfish.com where you can look up old articles on blacktails. IMHO if you want a big or trophy basket rack would be to head to Oregon although the WOg&f article is making me think different. If you would like to try WA give me a holler, in fact give me your address in my inbox and I will send you the newest WOg&f. Talk to you later.

Sportfury

Thank you everyone for ALL the helpful information. I might try to add this hunt to my list next year. So far I have a Illinois archery white-tail hunt, possible NM archery elk hunt...Possible Cal black-tail...

Again, thank you! I really appreicate it and it get s me going down the right path!

P-DUB

try asking Rick" on this site he runs an outfit in the yolla bolly's pack in trips and great bucks, I've seen some pic's..he go's by the handle (YBO)...

I've hunted the C-zone in siskiyou county CA. since I was 14.. also hunted the coastal area's and central CA. I'd put my bets on my home turf (C-zone)..we have an 80% sucess rate in the famdamily, I"m not guiding any longer so it shouild pick up even better this year...

bucks average's are "18" to 20" if you really know where to go 24" or better..no bull...

(p.s) I'm 45 years old now....................................

manny15:

Been a while since I've seen you post. Glad to have you back. I knew once this Blacktail section was established it would'nt take long. Been out scouting?

BOHNTR )))------>

yes sir' BOHNTR" I have...got two bucks I'm watching right now, still not sure what they'll be yet' but over 20" I'm sure...

I'll be putting more effort into scouting later in july..gotta get a better digital cam. mine doesn't zoom very well, pics suck if more than 50 yrds..........

Manny 15 Please e-mail about are X5b/M5 I drew a Muzz tag for the last week in Oct and 1st week in Nov. Should be a good hunt, Any help you can throw my way would be helpful Thanks GATOR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom