Vortex does it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPickett

Long Time Member
Eye piece on my 85 razor spotter had a piece fall apart inside last week elk hunting( first gen I’ve had for like 10 years) Called vortex yesterday and told them deer season opens this Saturday and I’d love to have my spotter. New eye piece was on my door step when I got home today. Under 24 hours!!

Say what you want about vortex, there service is second to none. Be glassing up bucks this weekend!!!

thank you Jodie!!!

Last edited:
Awesome. I will be finding out. Just printed off the form to send in a Vortex spotter I have had for about 8-10 years. Went to take it on a hunt a couple weeks ago and heard it rattle. Opened up case and the scope is broke in half. No idea if broke in truck, wheeler or one of my sons borrowed it. No big deal - just 1 of 6 spotters I have. Bought , due to a great price at the time and to try Vortex. I will send it in and see what they do. This was a spotter they made and then decided not to produce and it was sold through Camera Land. 20x60x80 spotting scope. Wonder if it will be repaired or replaced with spotter of equal value.

Will let you all know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Now imagine a world if you will where Vortex was of such quality that it rarely broke in the first place and you didn't need to worry when it would show up.

My daughter has a pair of Vortex binos and she had to send them in this year because they broke apart. Yes they were replaced but imagine if they held together the first time.

The only optics I've ever had to send in for repair was a Weaver scope and my 19 year old minox binos. The minox came back before my hunt even though they had to go to Germany for repair. The weaver scope never did get fixed right and now they charge $15 for shipping repairs.

I will never buy Weaver again and I sure won't be buying Vortex. I like my stuff to work, not get sent off to be fixed. I'm betting a third of all Vortex stuff in consumer hands has been warrantied at least once.

Well 10 years of beating the chit out of this spotter and my first issue with a vortex product and they fix it in under a calendar day from halfway across the country. Think Ill be a repeat customer....
Some people never learn. Ten years isn't a very long life for a spotter unless by beating the chit out of it you mean dragging it behind your truck. Good luck that's all I'm saying. I was a Vortex dealer before. When your number one marketing message is "we have a great warranty" you might want to think again.

I think Tommy Callahan explained it best about waiting for the warranty fairy, only to have it sneak into your house and knock up your daughter (Tommy Boy).

Some people never learn? Lol, you sound like a scorned women. I also own Swarovski, leupold, Burris and probably a Nikon kicking around here somewhere. Doesn’t mean I can’t acknowledge top notch service when I see it.

why I added the “say what you will about vortex” in my post. There’s always a troll on threads like these.

I don't know man, lots of threads about Vortex's warranty. How many about Swaros breaking and using their warranty?
Yes it's a great warranty and it gets used quite a bit from what I see.
Not trolling just making an observation. And I'm sure not scorned.

I can see your point, guess you can't see our's though. Might save someone with limited funds from buying a product that will most likely need warranty work.
Yes good CS is a big plus, but having a product that never needs that CS is more important in my book.
Great the company stood by it's product, that is expected. They have some great products , some not so much.
I hope you have a great hunting season and that scope makes it happen !

Vortex’s warranty is great... until about the 5th time you need to use it. I actually think they make decent optics, as far as the glass goes, but I’ve had to use their warranty 7 times now. I’m hard on my gear, but all my other optics hold up.

yeah i own um all too. this has been a good little spotter that has resulted in the death of many a animal.and it was fixed for me before its breaking ever affected a hunt.

its just ridiculous in our 15 second attention span internet troll collective we live in now that you cant even recognize a job well done by a company without someone having to chit all over it. some folks need a life
The praise of the great Vortex warranty has been around since the day they first sold optics. It's a repeatable story because the users of the product repeatedly need to use it. mtmuley

Wait till you have problems on opening day! What will that great warranty do for you then?
Yeah vortex is the only product out there subject to failure in field conditions... too funny. Like I said I run swaro’s too and I have zero delusions that they are indestructible. I never touted vortex being the best but replaced parts in under 24 hours to make my hunt I’ll say is the best, and did say that. Don’t get too far from the truck fellas, a piece of your gear might break on ya...,

I still preach made in the USA but vortex is one of the best blue collar worker options out there. Are there better? Yup but evidently they don't have near the marketing success. Athlon is good chit, burris, leupold, kowa, all are few other great options for the money and better quality than vortex but yet seemingly less popular.

Yeah vortex is the only product out there subject to failure in field conditions... too funny. Like I said I run swaro’s too and I have zero delusions that they are indestructible. I never touted vortex being the best but replaced parts in under 24 hours to make my hunt I’ll say is the best, and did say that. Don’t get too far from the truck fellas, a piece of your gear might break on ya...,
I'm just saying your running more of a risk packing vortex! Sure it's decent glass for the money and the CS and warranty are great. If you really run swaros and other glass your hunt was never in jeopardy right?

I'm just saying your running more of a risk packing vortex! Sure it's decent glass for the money and the CS and warranty are great. If you really run swaros and other glass your hunt was never in jeopardy right?
never said it was in jeopardy. From my OP-

" told them deer season opens this Saturday and I’d love to have my spotter"

and "risk" is bit of a stretch. of the risks i take out there my spotter not going to 60 or swaros fogging up aren't even on the radar

Funny I posted a similar post a year or so ago about Vortex customer service got the same A$$ clown remarks about their warranty . My buddy had a hunt going on dropped his $2500 Swaro SLC's while scouting broke them, he got a hold of Swaro CS sent them in for repair !! Got them back just over 2 weeks later & he had to PAY TO GET THEM FIXED !!!! it was NOT A WARRANTY ISSUE !!! Ended used his old binos on his hunt !! Guess it paid to have those Swaros .

yeah vortex paid to over night the part to me and included a return pre paid shipping label to send my eye piece back. zero cost on my end

Bashing Vortex is comical. The reality is most people don't have issues opening day, most accidents that cause damage would probably cause the same amount of damage regardless of brand. The mountains are no respector of brands. Are they as nice as Swaro? No. But when you talk about value and best bang for your buck they are a great option for a lot people and they've made it easy for people to get behind them with their customer service and warranty.

One of the busiest men on the planet has got to be the vortex warranty man. One of the reasons I've steered clear so far.

Why don't you guys make a thread about trucks? I am sure y'all have something to say about each brand......... The truck that breaks down on the way to the hunt isn't better if it's cheaper..........

Have Vortex Bino and Swaro spotter. Both are great pieces and luckily I've never warrantied either. I have had a cheap pair of Vortex Diamondbacks now for over 10 years, no issues and they are still better than a lot of bino's in the $500 range. Is Vortex the best? Of course not...... Bang for your buck w/ warranty? Yup.

Also, I am sure there are many more Vortex owners than Swaro due to the price point which means you will naturally hear about more failures. THen the internet commandos will never want to admit their Swaro broke as then they can't trash talk everything else.

Got them back just over 2 weeks later & he had to PAY TO GET THEM FIXED !!!! it was NOT A WARRANTY ISSUE !!! Ended used his old binos on his hunt !! Guess it paid to have those Swaros .
this is likely the reason you never hear about other companies warranty service. not because they don't need it...

Comparing Swarovski to Vortex? Wow. I bought a Vortex spotter. Had good money stashed for a spotter and the dishwasher broke. Oh well. Got hasty, bought a Vortex. Broken. NIB and broken. Once took a spill on a bear hunt after a moose charge. Messed up my Leupold scope pretty bad. They turned it around in 12 days as Montana big game was starting. I figured out quick where my money would go. mtmuley

It cracks me up that people always talk about made in USA products, yet they are first in line to by Swaro, Leica, Zeus.

Not really anyone comparing Swaro to Vortex..... Swaro is superior, but Vortex makes some nice stuff with an excellent warranty at a good price point.

I've owned 4 Vortex products and never had an issue. I am on my first Swaro, no issue. Don't have a problem with either brand. My old Vortex Rzr 65mm spotter wasn't nearly as clear as my Swaro. Then again, it was less than half the price (got it on sale) and the Swaro was a gift.

I'd almost bet money that many of the Swaro gods on this forum don't even own 100% Swaro (and some don't own anything Swaro).

I won a vortex scope on this website from camera land when they still carried the vortex brand, its been on my 300 mag, and not had a problem with it what so ever.

wow, reading through this thread is a joke. Someone gets their spotter fixed and the haters start spouting off. who gives a ratsa$$ what brand we use and don't use. The point is vortex stands behind their warranty and that is what counts.

I never bought into the vortex until I actually tried some in low light. I am a proud owner of some binos, spotter and a few scopes. The point is vortex meets my needs on function and price. I beat the living hell out of my binos and still work great.

I have tried the big pricey names and I feel my vortex holds up with them. But my eyes are not the same as everyone else but what I know is vortex works for me along with a few other brands that I use.

I’m pretty sure only liberals use Vortex. If vortex was a women her name would be Hilary.
If you want to see a load of animals get swarvorski, if you want to swallow a load get vortex.

The way I look at it, Vortex is quality budget optics for people who have families....mouths to feed....bills to pay.....BUDGETS,
and other priorities!

Not everyone can afford Swaro’s and the other quality optics out there!

Ya got folks driving Mercedes to the grocery store and folks driving toyota corollas to the same store to do the same activity! They both get you there! One’s just a bit nicer than the other!

who cares?! Why argue over something that works for the middle class hunter? So what if you can afford glass that is so nice that it avoids a warranty?!

at least there IS a support system for the middle class sportsman through a descent optic company!

I own a Vortex razor hd 85 mm spotter!

I chose Vortex because I am a middle class dude with a family and a budget....with a wife that would kill me if she found out I spent 3K on optics!

The vortex does the job just fine!

I would buy swaros if 3K was couch change to me!

It’s all relevant to each person’s situation as to why they purchase what they do!

never had to use the warranty! But it is nice to know that those who have, have been treated fairly!

It took me 3 years worth of Cabela's gift certificates for my Swarovski bino's and another 3 years worth for my Swarovski spotting scope. Gift certificates for birthdays, Christmas, Anniversaries, and what have you. It softens the blow on the pocket book! I've had my Bino's for 17 years and my spotter 13 years.....no issues what so ever. I purchased a Nikon Monarch scope 20 + years ago for my son's 30.06. He used it on 2 hunts. It sat in the gun safe for 15 years. We decided to take it to the range one day since he wanted to hunt again. He looked through it, and it was like looking through a kaleidoscope! Reticles were all over the place. All that scope went through was sitting in the gun safe for 15 years, undisturbed! Meanwhile, my Leupolds Vari-X III have been just fine!! You get what you pay for.

The way I look at it, Vortex is quality budget optics for people who have families....mouths to feed....bills to pay.....BUDGETS,
and other priorities!

Not everyone can afford Swaro’s and the other quality optics out there!

Ya got folks driving Mercedes to the grocery store and folks driving toyota corollas to the same store to do the same activity! They both get you there! One’s just a bit nicer than the other!

who cares?! Why argue over something that works for the middle class hunter? So what if you can afford glass that is so nice that it avoids a warranty?!

at least there IS a support system for the middle class sportsman through a descent optic company!

I own a Vortex razor hd 85 mm spotter!

I chose Vortex because I am a middle class dude with a family and a budget....with a wife that would kill me if she found out I spent 3K on optics!

The vortex does the job just fine!

I would buy swaros if 3K was couch change to me!

It’s all relevant to each person’s situation as to why they purchase what they do!

never had to use the warranty! But it is nice to know that those who have, have been
This ia a great way of looking at it.
Lots of people can't afford high end optics i was one of them!
Im not bashing Vortex or Vortex owners i used to be one.
I started off buying older used swaro's then started saving once i got enough saved i sold the used to start someone else out and put it all together and bought new. I didn't have that kind of extra change laying around with a young family but in the end if you want/need it bad enough it can be done!
I spend a tremendous amount of time behind the glass and was always having trouble at longer distances with mid grade glass!

P.s. bloodtracker don't tell her they are swaros and slap some tape on the logo lol

Wait!!!!!.$1500 for vortex binos is cheap???

Looks like to me some people here are jealous that i paid less for a pair of glass thats works just as good as their 5 grand glass. I get it now.

Looks like to me some people here are jealous that i paid less for a pair of glass thats works just as good as their 5 grand glass. I get it now.
Did your vortex glass come with a Biden sticker?

I think someone got their feelings hurt...

Reactions: SS!
Please explain. In order to hunt what should all hunters use for glass?

You know me slightysober Trump 2020

Here’s one for you. Far left ram was 19 miles as the crow flies from the truck. Where in the lower 48 can you get 19 miles and not hit a road (straight line). And yes I don’t mount my sheep because I can go every year...

A602D6EA-E7C6-41D1-B551-1E971062FBD6.jpeg

Here’s one for you. Far left ram was 19 miles as the crow flies from the truck. Where in the lower 48 can you get 19 miles and not hit a road (straight line). And yes I don’t mount my sheep because I can go every year...

View attachment 14749
Oh and I didn’t trash my spotter which I’m positive has had more miles in a backpack in a year than you’ve done in 5. I’m sure yours gets beat up riding in the truck or wheeler...

I need to wise up and get horses like you. But it keeps me skinny(ier)

I am down to 1 horse. Went from 12 to 1. My dads late season elk hunt is a month away and we have to borrow some horses. If i draw my sheep tag next year i will either borrow or buy a couple. But the last few mnt goat hunts i been on horses are worthless due to the terrain

I agree with slightlysober lets see something there Pickett! Better yet let's see something you found though the vortex that ended up dying.

Reactions: SS!
@JPickett heres a fun trip from this spring. This was about 12 or 13 miles from the truck. Heavy packs coming out. I didn’t even add in how many days I spent antler hunting this spring. 15 or 16 full days. Gosh I love Alaska!

25C279B1-C695-41E8-96A1-4578CBB73A3C.jpeg

Here’s last years sheep. You may call me a troll but I’m just having fun. Why so serious on the internet? It’s all in fun and games. If I hurt your feelings I’m not sorry but please know it was not intentional,

Signed,
Ernesto aka Enso aka troller for 25 years on hunting forums ?

651AB54A-145E-4C7E-8BC5-4101FACF627F.jpeg

Even though I love antlers sometimes you get one so far back you leave the rack. Toughest pack out ever on a critter so we left the rack:

6B5F4088-6BB0-47FA-B4A6-E2F7971A7AAB.jpeg

My spotter is over 20 years old and I take care of my spotter because it helps me find animals like this:

556065F9-615E-4EDC-9881-B15908BBD8AF.jpeg

My Vortex Razors that are about 2 years old had the eyecups start to peel off on my PV hunt this past week. I had to use electrical tape to hold them together. I hope I can get them back before my elk hunt in Nov. I will be calling tomorrow morning to see what they say.

Binos.jpg

My Vortex Razors that are about 2 years old had the eyecups start to peel off on my PV hunt this past week. I had to use electrical tape to hold them together. I hope I can get them back before my elk hunt in Nov. I will be calling tomorrow morning to see what they say.

View attachment 14757
I bet they will take care of it fast. I also bet vortex has the largest warranty Dept out there ?.

btw nice choice in beer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom