Vortex Scope Slips InRings

I really need some guidance on this problem.
I have a Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 5x25x50 30mm scope mounted with Talley Steel rings on a Weatherby MKV 300 WBY mag. The first go round I had the scope leveled and torqued to Vortex specs. 18in/lbs. bore sighted scope and went to sight in. After about 8 shots noticed scope had slipped in rings. went back and lapped rings to where there is about 99% bearing contact in the rings. Tightened down rings. Bore sight and off to sight in. After one shot scope slipped again. Is there an issue with Talley steel vertical mount rings and Vortex scopes. Really lost.

Wheeler recommends 28-30 in/lbs for scope rings. Mine has held up well on a lightweight 300 wsm for years with no lapping.

Vortex only recommends 18 in/lbs. talked to a guy at Vortex he said to go up to 20 in/lbs. I guess their scopes are sensitive to the amount of torque they can take and still track correctly. Have read a few posts other places about putting rosin or liquid electrical tape in the rings. Anyone ever tried this. Also have any of my fellow MM members used a higher torque on Vortex scopes. I usually use Leupold scopes. Never had a problem with them in Talley rings.

[QUOTE="Platemaker4312, post: 1880511, . I usually use Leupold scopes. Never had a problem with them in Talley rings.
[/QUOTE]
Off the Vortex and get another Leupold. mtmuley

Probably good advice. I also have a Weatherby Vanguard First Lite in 300WBY. using Talley light weight one piece rings. No issues. Just doesn't make a lot of sense. Both guns have brakes so recoil isn't an issue.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom