Vortex Straight Wall Reticle

Cavalier

I'm wanting to find more info about how the Vortex Straight Wall Reticle can be used. Apparently it's designed to be used on large caliber center fire rifles with straight wall cartridges. However I wondering why it wouldn't make a good option for a .50 caliber muzzleloader. I'm wanting to get a new scope for my .50 cal. and want to used the Vortex 3-9X50. It comes in Dead Hold Reticle and Straight Wall Reticle. I have inquired this question to Vortex without receiving any comments. I posted this also on the Optics forum with many views but no comments. Any advise or comments here would be helpful.
Thanks.

Cav,

You know your ballistics off hand?

I would say that a decent rough estimate of most commercially available MZ loads will perform like this)

Using a 270 grain projectile with 100gr of powder and a MV of 1700 FPS---

100 0.0
150 -5 inches
200 -15 inches

The straight wall scope reticle PDF is found here

The average ballistics between the three loads of .350/.450/ and 45-70 are this)

100 0.0
150 -1.5 inch
200 -4.7 inch

So, we can extrapolate from this extremely rough data that no, the straight-wall reticle on the scope will not line up with MZ ballistic behavior. The hash marks on the reticle are designed for an average MOA drop of 2, 4.6, 7.8, and 11.4

What this means is each hash from the center of the reticle is compensating for a drop of 2 inches, 4.6 inches etc... if you rely on the reticle BDC hash marks, you will be hitting way lower than you are aiming.

Best scope for a MZ, in my opinion, is a classic 3-9 with a single cross hair zeroed at 3 inches high at 100. This is what I use, with 100gr of white hot and 270gr Federal Bor-Loc.

AV

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom