WA trophy sheep units?

Buckblaster

The draws are about to happen. What is the order for unit permits should I put in for the biggest size Washington bighorn rams from 1st to the last choice for the draw? I have seen alot of rams in the Quilomene and saw some decent ones but where are the biggest ones? Thanks for any input.
Rob

If you are one of the lucky ones to draw a tag they all have big rams. I know in the last couple of years the been moving sheep from MT clemons(?) to other areas. I'm sure they moved some nice rams off of the feed lots. Call the sheep biologist they keep track of the sheep pretty close.

Here is a couple pics of sheep that I have chased around in the Swakane Unit. Nothing huge but still shootable. I am waiting for the Vulcan Mountain (Ferry Co.) to come back. There use to be some dandys up there.
075183.jpg

075179.jpg

Eric

I guess it depends on how you define "trophy". Any sheep tag will provide a high opportunity for success that will put a trophy on your wall like no other. The biggest rams, without a doubt however, have been coming out of the Swakane unit. The big rams can be tough to find and you would need to plan for an extended hunt with lots of scouting. The potential for a 170+ California Bighorn is good though.

Most of the other units provide good looking rams but just dont score as high. Cleman and Quilomene are good choices as is Lincoln (although the private land there can cause some challenges). The wild card this year is the new hunt which is in the Tieton unit. That is a transplanted herd started with some Cleman and Lincoln sheep. In about 2000, some sheep from the John Day River herd in Oregon were released in there as well. The John Day sheep are world class California Bighorns with several in the last few years breaking 180. There will be two tags in the Tieton this year.

For anyone wondering, we are getting very close to re-opening hunting on Rocky Mountain bighorns in the Blue Mountains. I will share the status of that another day as I am getting a little long winded here!

Glen

Glen, Can you tell me what units have Rocky's and what units have California Bighorns Thanks Todd

Swakane hands down has the largest CA Bighorns in the state, I would put Clemans not too far behind and I have heard good things about Mt. Hull. Any unit should produce a good sheep though, although they may not score super well they would look great on the wall.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom