Wagon Hound Ranch UNIT 7

B

bullmania

Does anyone know what they are harvesting elk wise on the Wagonhound >/??
Looking at there pictures there are some very nice bulls but also some on the smaller side ???

Thanks
Bull

Bull,
If you look at the Wyoming guide association annual awards some of the best bulls come from the Wagonhound. Its a big ranch with a resident herd and low hunting pressure. A freind of mine hunted it a few years ago. He had never killed a nice bull and shot a 320 bull the first morning. He said that was probably a mistake because they killed a couple around 340 -350 that same week. I think some guys are in the same situation as my buddy. They kill the first decent bull they see rather than holding out for a big 'un. Can't blame them but I think that explains some of the ''smaller '' bulls that they take. He said it was an incredible hunt. I think he paid $7,500 and I think its $8,500 now. GOOD LUCK. Chip

I think what explains shooting the smaller bulls is 1,500 bull permits...along with about that many cow permits.

People tend to shoot what they have a chance at...and if they're shooting smaller bulls its pretty likely there arent very many bigger bulls around...or they'd be shooting them instead.

Buzz,
Yes there are 1,500 tags in unit 7. However Wagonhound controls 150,000 acres of ground - 234 square miles. Most of their Elk never leave the ranch. So, the number of tags in the unit doesn't really affect the size of the bulls on the ranch. Also , unit 7 is a HUGE unit with lots of Elk. 1500 tags doesn't seem excessive to me. All of the ''experts'' say that unit 7 is one of the best in Wyoming for big bulls. Not that they are always 100% correct but I don't think they are just pulling that out of their arse either.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-09 AT 11:32AM (MST)[p]I disagree, 1500 bull permits is excessive and no question has caused a decline in the quality of the bulls in unit 7. The number of B&C sized bulls has declined right along with the increase in permits.

Dont believe it?

Check the B&C record books over the last 12 years.

If its still such a great unit for booner sized bulls...why then are there hardly any being entered? In particular the last recording period?

I dont care if unit 7 is a huge unit, theres a pretty good portion of it that does not have many elk. Further, the public land hunting has definately gotten worse as permit numbers increase.

On top of the 1500 bull permits you also have another 1400 antlerless elk permits. Thats just shy of 3000 hunters that could be potentially in that unit. Thats a lot of pressure in that unit.

Unit 7 is NOT the best unit in the state for big (big being booners) bulls anymore, in the early to mid-90's I may have agreed. Not sure what "experts" you're referring to, but I would shy away from their "expert" advice.

Even the photos that are on the wagonhound website are not that impressive for such a great unit and such a great ranch. Some nice bulls, yes, but not many great bulls.

If you want to hunt a 300-330 class bull with a remote chance for something better for $8500 its a great place. But, I'd say anyones odds of killing a bull over 340 are not that great on the wagonhound or unit 7 in general.

There are better choices out there and unit 7 is the second most over-rated elk unit in Wyoming...with unit 100 being the most over-rated.

I'll agree to disagree with Buzz. 7 is still one of the premier area's in the state. Given the amount of private ground and number of elk in the area, you can't help but have a lot of trophy class bulls. Three years ago, the herd objective for 7 & 19 was 3000 elk. The G & F did their winter survey that year and counted over 5000 head. Given the huge increase, they spoke with landowners and solicited opinions from the public to see what we thought about raising the herd objective. Folks approved and the objective was raised to 5000. Year before last, they surveyed 7/19 and counted well over 5000 elk and said they didn't get all of them due to a mild winter as the animals were scattered. A biologist I spoke with last year said they thought the numbers were probably closer to 6 - 7000. They've increased tag numbers, but not proportionately with the increase in elk numbers. Hunting has gotten tougher on public with the additional tags. However, most of the elk were on private to begin with and they're still on private. If you have a 7 tag and some coin to spend, you'll have a chance at a great bull. Here's another area 7 outfitter who bangs some big bulls and for less coin than Wagonhead...

http://www.elkmountainoutfittersllc.com/pricelist.html

i heard a rumur that in the next several years seven may be a general area. but you look at tag numbers and it has dang near the pressure of a general unit but due to access it still remains a trophy bull area. but if it goes general you will see more people paying big bucks for these bulls and the quanity of biguns will go down drasticly.

moseley middleton

I have done some research into the unit. The tag numbers have been increased because the elk numbers have increased. The problem with that is that a majority of the elk end up on private with limited hunting. The game and fish want to reduce the elk numbers so they have increased the tag numbers. From what I understand that has not solved the problem, elk still are increasing and end up on the private that is leased or un-huntable. Make some phone calls and ask some questions.

Rich

Unit 7 is still one of the top units in the state. I agree too many tags are being issues & not just in that unit. If they want to reduce or control the herd than they need to issue more cow tags.

7 Mag

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom