Wagyu?

Like everything else in life, there's good and bad, and lots of hype you need to weed thru. It is very very good beef generally, and reputable suppliers like RR and Snake River Farms (SRF) take great pride in their meat and quality. Look on their websites for the pictures of beautiful cuts of meat, and see just how marbled the meat is. that's what makes it so tender. When getting your own at the meat counter, you should always shop for quality over price. Getting it a couple dollars cheaper is dumb, if you have to carve off 20% in waste.

When the virus pandemic first started, our local restaurant opened a little store in their business to sell bulk foods and good meat from his suppliers, to people who couldn't find stuff in the stores. Basically all the quality items and grades he used in the restaurant. I bought a lot of meat from him, and have continued to do so. Because I will order $300-500 worth at a time, he will hand pick tenderloins, loins, and ribeyes and cut/vacuum pack for me. These are Prime or Prime Chairman Reserve cuts, and average about $15/lb. This is an after-trim price, so very good for exceptional steaks.

I think that our Prime grade of filets, ribeyes or rolled ribeye caps can rival it, at about 50-60% of the price, but then I never met a good steak I didn't like!! :)

can’t argue there. For New Year day dinner I grilled some ribeye caps. I was really impressed. While in Texas we tried Wagyu. Fillet and rib steaks that my son grilled. Absolutely delicious. Never seen a fillet with marbling like that.

61E498CF-075E-48A5-A5EB-937A5F088289.jpeg

I had Wagyu NY Strip steak last night. It’s incredible beef, but very expensive ( $42.98 lb. on sale). I bought a 16 oz. steak that my wife and I shared. I grilled it on a Weber gas grill at 400 deg. for 4 1/2 minutes per side to a rare/ medium rare center. Use an instant read thermometer, you’ll want it perfectly done to your liking at the price. Be very careful on a grill because it can catch on fire with an inferno in the grill due to all the dripping fat. Tony’s Meats in the Denver area carries it. Wagyu Tri tip is an experience. I buy it whenever I see it. It’s more affordable at about $20 lb.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom