Walden area

Tim,

Most of the deer from that country come down into Wyoming to winter. It was tough for a while and they were piled up near the Baggot Rocks between Encampemnt and Saratoga. But it has opened up in the past few weeks and we should be OK. I drove around in that country a couple of weeks ago and was surprised to see that the deer looked as good as they did.

I would appreciate hearing from anybody that lives in that country. I know the snowpack has been above normal, but not as tough as areas in southern Colorado.

Thanks for the reply ICMDEER. The approaching deadlines have me thinking about heading west. All I need is a little luck in the drawing and I'll be off.

Tim

searcher what state would you be coming from to hunt here in Colorado?
One thing I've noticed about the deer herd lately is, since the division opened up the early rifle deer only season alot of big bucks have been depleted from the herds. I hunt all over the North Park area and I use to see big bucks all the time (24" plus)
My friends that outfit in the Medicine Bow range in Colorado have noticed a big decline also. Alot of the bucks migrate to the south end of the park and on their migration back, usually during this early season they get pick over and shot up.
If you do draw a tag PM me and I'll give you some good secret spots that I very rarely have time to hunt anymore.

Thanks for the offer. I live in West Virginia. Will probably be 2 of us looking to hunt in CO and/or WY.

Tim

Although this may not apply specifically to the migrating wildlife from North Park, I can give an idea of the winter conditions in the Upper Platte valley.

Unfortunately, this winter has been extremely tough on wildlife in south-central Wyoming. A friend of mine that lives out at Cow Creek (right across the highway from Baggot Rocks) has been able to walk up the drift in front of his house and step on to the roof. This guy is a wildlife biologist and pays attention to the local critters, and has commented that he's seen poor body condition and starving animals (first antelope, and then deer) since January. We're just now starting to get an idea of the winter-kill as we're finally losing some snow and the carcasses are becoming visible in the bare spots. I've heard numbers thrown around of between 40 and 50% winterkill all through Carbon County. The winter ranges on the west side of the divide probably fared worse than on the east, but it will remain to be seen. Many long-time Encampment residents are saying that they haven't seen a winter like this in 25+ years, or in some cases ever.

Last I had read, WGFD is planning on manipulating harvest levels because of winter mortality from Muddy Gap south through the Rawlins areas, and especially in the Baggs and Platte valleys. I imagine we're looking at reduced limited quota tag allocation and severely shortened season lengths in the general areas. We'll find out at the April season-setting public meetings. Based on what the conditions have been like on winter habitats this year, you may be looking at some significant winter-kill on older and younger, weaker animals. We'll see the affect on older bucks this next year, and then have to deal with several future years missing age classes as the yearlings have taken it in the shorts this year, and starving does will have re-absorbed their fetuses.

Sorry for the grim news...

Thanks for the info. I have gotten the same message from other sources so it would appear it is going to be a tough draw this year. Hate to see it happen but that is nature.

Tim

It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. I was over at Elk Mountain today and things look pretty good. No stressed critters and the deer, elk and antleope are doing well. I saw plenty of all three species. The ground is mostly all bare and there's even a tinge of green around some of the areas in the river bottoms. I even saw about 35-40 whitetails living a good life on the drive into the town of Elk Mountain.

I also got a copy of the draft seasons proposed by the Wyoming Game and Fish. They are subject to change, but they do not ususally change much if at all. They still have doe deer seasons on a general license proposed for deer areas 78, 79, 80 and 81. They are even proposing additional type 6 deer doe licneses for each of those areas. I've never been a fan of doe licenses in those areas, maybe because I can remember more deer than there are now.

Anyhow, let's wait and see how this all unfolds. I'll be curious. I guess it's time to take an aspirin, wait 2 months and then we'll know. Speculation is not always real accurate.

I have not been a fan of doe license in several areas,I guess they know what there doing ,but I to can remember seeing alot more deer than I have in the last few years.And alot better bucks !

Thanks much ICMDEER. Your insight is always appreciated. It will be a long wait till the draw comes out. Hopefully the spring weather gives the wildlife a break.

Tim

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom