Walk in , access yes.

madmoose

Even though they (blm) show season access dates of 8/15 to 10/31. Does that mean a person couldn't go in there now and just hike the hills?

I believe each walk in area has its own specific rules, and I’m sure there probably like HMA, most say no preseason scouting, I’m sure the dates specified are the ones you will want to follow !!!

Here's another scenario.There's a HMA in the Bighorns with maps that fish and game put up that say no parking other than designated spots. The road goes through a BLM corner. According to the map, no parking. I asked BLM and they said you absolutely can park there? What would fish and game do if they caught you parking there?

You can park and access from the BLM with the public road access. Otherwise you must park at the designated spot. GW will know the area well and not hassle you if you're legal.
Walk in areas do not need a permission slip or anything, just walk in and hunt for the species it is open for. Read the restrictions for the area.

Here's another scenario.There's a HMA in the Bighorns with maps that fish and game put up that say no parking other than designated spots. The road goes through a BLM corner. According to the map, no parking. I asked BLM and they said you absolutely can park there? What would fish and game do if they caught you parking there?
There is a possibility that if you park on the BLM and access the HMA from a "No Parking" area, you could lose your HMA privileges. You will not get a ticket for parking on BLM and accessing BLM, but if G&F doesn't want you parking there to access HMA, I wouldn't do it.

That is absolutely right jm77.
If that corner is a known issue there will be signage or it should be addressed in the rules for the area.
Best to go right to the source, contact the GW or the Access Yes person for the area.

I don't think a warden could cite you for parking there. If it's on BLM and they said you could park there, then I'd say you probably could.

I don't think a warden could cite you for parking there. If it's on BLM and they said you could park there, then I'd say you probably could.
This is a hard one for sure. How much walking are you actually saving in this scenario?

I think one could debate either side of this scenario easily.

One side: The language in the HMA Rules that you agree to when you get and sign the permit says, you "must" park in the designated parking areas to access the HMA. One could argue that if you don't park in the lot, then you can't access the HMA even from open BLM or even from private you own that borders the HMA.

Other side: The HMA rules does not say anything about not being able to access the HMA by foot. This would be the scenario if you access from open BLM or from bordering private...

This is a hard one for sure. How much walking are you actually saving in this scenario?

I think one could debate either side of this scenario easily.

One side: The language in the HMA Rules that you agree to when you get and sign the permit says, you "must" park in the designated parking areas to access the HMA. One could argue that if you don't park in the lot, then you can't access the HMA even from open BLM or even from private you own that borders the HMA.

Other side: The HMA rules does not say anything about not being able to access the HMA by foot. This would be the scenario if you access from open BLM or from bordering private...
Not related to this issue but what if there is no designated parking area ? Looking at the maps there are several walk in areas in my unit where one isn’t indicated.

Here’s one that had me confused last year! The rules at the bottom state “motorized vehicle access allowed on established roads only” However, at the entrance their was the sign below that had language “vehicles restricted to designated roads only”. The map doesn’t show the established roads either solid green “open” or dashed red “closed” but are more of the “special conditions apply“ color. Note several of the roads continue on through to BLM. There are no designated parking areas. Can you drive into this HMA or not on the established roads? To make matters more confusing there are scattered signs on poisonous gas restricting the HMA to authorized personnel only...
0D173CCE-DAE8-4A79-92A3-9166A28D9B77.png
03AA5665-3D0A-4A4B-ABD4-AB76F9340D38.jpeg
9416175D-BBEB-4ADB-B655-2B90DD69CCDB.jpeg

E0314040-EDC9-4E4C-9371-D08C37428BB7.png

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom