Walkie talkie and other off grid communication systems

Rj_outdoorlyfe

Just came across a company called Beartooth (www.beartooth.com) - curious if anyone has heard of them and what you think? (turns your smartphone into a walkie talkie with text and maps)

Wondering how this compares to the Garmin Rino or other devices that anyone has used? Any recommendations?

We use nothing but Garmin products....you take along in your back pack a couple sets of AA batteries and your set in the backcounty for a couple of weeks....with a cell phone that works off cell towers while the Garmin works off satillites .....with the cell phone you get off the main areas or in deep cayons....IMO that beartooth is useless IMO.....if your a serious hunter go Garmin....also if you go cell phone...think booster as well as solar charger.....what a headache....

))))------->

Kind of intriguing if you ask me. Not as a GPS unit, but to be able to text friends where there is no cell signal. I hunt a ranch that is on/off getting cell signal, so it really burns up your battery fast and you can't always communicate by text. If you can text up to 5-10 miles without using cell towers that is a plus in my book. And the battery they provide lasts up to 4 days.

That said, not sure it is worth $75 per phone to do it. Once the technology is out, price should come down.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom