Walking Antler

Fencer

You have to believe me it's true. I am shed hunting on my second year and I am an addict. Go horn hunting in whatever free time I can get. All year around.

So on my recent hike I glassed this antler from quarter mile couple hundred feet lower across a deep ravine on a shelf in the open easy peasy to pick up later. I decided to stay on my side at about 7.5K altitude and I was constantly pointing my binos to that shed. Was still visible couple hours later.

I stumbled on several mule deer sheds (one set and two singles) walked on the set and glassed two chewed four pointers. Very close to each other but one side, then decided to turn back and pick up that elk antler across the draw. Still there here I come crossing the creek and climbing higher to look for a possible match.

Nothing else found I approach the glassed location. No shed wtf?! I am circling around and circling and zigzagging. Nothing. I consider myself pretty good in cartography and terrain awareness but this decent size antler can't just disappear?

Then I saw it. The thing walked dragging his whale tail. I have a picture to prove it :D

Walking Antler - 1.jpeg

Have you ever been in situation like this?

I have glassed the same big 4-pt mule deer shed for 4 years, under an evergreen. I'm just too lazy to wade the river for it, and wonder how many others have seen it, and thought the same thing. It has become a sorta game for me each year to see if it is still there!!! :)

You have to believe me it's true. I am shed hunting on my second year and I am an addict. Go horn hunting in whatever free time I can get. All year around.

So on my recent hike I glassed this antler from quarter mile couple hundred feet lower across a deep ravine on a shelf in the open easy peasy to pick up later. I decided to stay on my side at about 7.5K altitude and I was constantly pointing my binos to that shed. Was still visible couple hours later.

I stumbled on several mule deer sheds (one set and two singles) walked on the set and glassed two chewed four pointers. Very close to each other but one side, then decided to turn back and pick up that elk antler across the draw. Still there here I come crossing the creek and climbing higher to look for a possible match.

Nothing else found I approach the glassed location. No shed wtf?! I am circling around and circling and zigzagging. Nothing. I consider myself pretty good in cartography and terrain awareness but this decent size antler can't just disappear?

Then I saw it. The thing walked dragging his whale tail. I have a picture to prove it :D

View attachment 49001

Have you ever been in situation like this?
That’s dang cool

I hear you bro! I was out glassing for sheds recently when I glassed up a side-by-side set. Nothing huge, but I marked it on my basemap app, then kept glassing. Glassed up two more sheds that looked to be chewed on. I marked them on my app as well. After lunch and a nap, I finally decided to walk over and pick them up. On my way to the set, I walk up on a big elk shed, out in the open. I started dragging it, but it was so heavy I decided to leave it and come back for it after picking up the deer sheds.

Got to the spot where the first deer set should have been, but there was nothing. Searched for 10 minutes, no luck. I moved along to the other sheds (the ones that looked to be chewed on) and guess what, they were nowhere to be found either! Frustrated, I headed back out to the elk shed I left behind earlier... And wouldn't you know it? It was gone. I don't know what happened to them, its still a mystery to me...

I glassed up a side by side set of deer sheds this year, I was searching for a big set of sheds I had 4 separate years off of the same buck, and had my buddy there and he confirmed them as well.

I was certain I had found his this years set.

I Had the location marked out pretty good as it was in a pretty distinguishable spot.

We split up and I decided to loop around the ridge and keep looking for more horns before I worked down to where the set was.

Finally made it down there and could not find anything that even looked like a horn, My buddy had just worked back over the ridge to where we had spotted them from and I had him guide me over to them, still nothing that even looked remotely like a deer shed, turned out it was just some sticks but it still blows me away, I was 1000% sure it was a set and then when I get over there the sticks I found were not even close to resembling sheds.

A year or so ago I spotted a white shed of decent size across a deep canyon. Or so I thought... Crossed over, nothing.

Came back in couple weeks glassed again still there. Looks like a monster. I decided not going home till I find it.

Spent some time searching. What do you think I found there? Toilet paper what a shame. I didn't tell anyone :)

A year or so ago I spotted a white shed of decent size across a deep canyon. Or so I thought... Crossed over, nothing.

Came back in couple weeks glassed again still there. Looks like a monster. I decided not going home till I find it.

Spent some time searching. What do you think I found there? Toilet paper what a shame. I didn't tell anyone :)
I had the same thing happen, no matter the angle from different spots I couldn't put any shape to it or tines to be certain. I eventually spotted a definite elk shed below it a few hundred yards. The unidentified ended up being toilet paper on some sage followed by a set of moose paddles about 20 yards away.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom